Notices

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by rooster13 View Post
Sorry my bad...

U should install the widget by running
Code:
dpkg -i maemostash_0.1-1_armel.deb
as root.

Then you will see it on your desktop (if all goes well) or in your 'Add widget' menu.

Don't try to run it from X-Term 'cause then you'll only get the main window and no widget.
I installed it using dpkg -i (I had to install qt4-homescreen-loader as well due to dependency). It didn't report anything else unusual...

But I don't see it on my 'Add Widget' menu - ?

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 221 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by thp View Post
Great work, the widget looks promising! Some remarks on the UI:
  • What does the "Sort ASC" button do? As a developer, I know that "ASC" probably means ascending, but I'm not sure. What's the default sort order, and wouldn't it make sense to always sort ascending and get rid of the button?
  • Do you support search-as-you-type (also known as "Live Search") to filter down the list with the keyboard?
  • The "Cancel" button is unnecessary - users can close the dialog by clicking outside of it.
  • "Open folder" simply shows the subdirectories of MyDocs, or is this configurable? If so, you can probably use the secondary text for something more informative (file count? maybe per-type, i.e. "3 video files, 5 audio files, 3 document, 17 other files")
  • The secondary text in "launch application" is the exec path. Not really useful to the normal user (also not that useful for advanced users I presume). What about displaying the description text that is available in some .desktop files?
  • If you have a "Web" shortcut on the Desktop, clicking on it will already show the bookmarks, right? Maybe you can replace the "bookmarks" feature with something that's not easily accessible?

Do you plan on releasing your application as open source?
Thank you very much, very good remarks.
Here are some answers:

1. I added the sort buttons (ASC for ascending and DESC for descending) because I did not want to change the order how the apps get added to the QListWidget by default. That is the reason why they are there.
  2. Currently Live Search is not supported since this is Qt and I haven't found a way how to implement that on a QListWidget yet. Surely once I find out how to do it will implement it.
  3. Yeah I know about the cancel -button... But IMO it's faster to click on it than to reach outside the list.
  4. Open folder is not yet configurable since there are currently no settings implemented. Very good idea and the secondary text too indeed and I will plan to fix that.
  5. As for the folders, excellent idea too. I will take a look into this.
  6. Yes, but the idea of this widget was to gather all, apps, folders, bookmarks together and tidy up my messy desktop.

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Oh hang on... it just appeared on my desktop after I deleted a couple of bookmarks and a widget from one of my desktops...

First observations: The bookmarks aren't the ones I have set in MicroB.. I get Maemo Browser, Twitter and YouTube - ?

I also get quite a few stretched icons in the app list (eg FM Radio, FloboPuyo, DiskUsage)

And any chance we can have a user defined option for which file manager to use?

Thanks for putting in the time developing this app - it's looking good

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
I installed it using dpkg -i (I had to install qt4-homescreen-loader as well due to dependency). It didn't report anything else unusual...

Bugger! It should appear on the desktop, or if not it should surely be visible on the Add widget menu.

One thing you could try if u haven't tried it yet, is to reboot you N900.

If that does not help then please check that maemostash.desktop -file is in folder
Code:
/usr/share/applications/hildon-home/

Posts: 349 | Thanked: 309 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ PS/IL

I had the same problem, solved it by removing and installing it again, hildon-home crashed then it appeared in the widgets list.

btw great work rooster, widget's really useful. It would be even better if you added live search.

Edit: is it possible to add an option that makes it use filebox instead of the default file manager?

Last edited by Chrome; 2010-11-05 at 20:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chrome For This Useful Post:
Oh hang on... it just appeared on my desktop after I deleted a couple of bookmarks and a widget from one of my desktops...

First observations: The bookmarks aren't the ones I have set in MicroB.. I get Maemo Browser, Twitter and YouTube - ?

I also get quite a few stretched icons in the app list (eg FM Radio, FloboPuyo, DiskUsage)

And any chance we can have a user defined option for which file manager to use?

Thanks for putting in the time developing this app - it's looking good
Goody!

The bookmarks should be the ones from MicroB, cause it reads the MyBookmarks.xml file. I will have to check that out.

The streched icons I have too. It's due to that some apps use scalable icons and I haven't figured out how to fix that on the QListWidget yet. It's on my bug list, and will get fixed.

Currently this widget is reading the apps from here:
Code:
/usr/share/applications/hildon/
so if the app is correctly installed and it has a desktop file then it shoud appear on the apps list.

Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
I had the same problem, solved it by removing and installing it again, hildon-home crashed then it appeared in the widgets list.

btw great work rooster, widget's really useful. It would be even better if you added live search.
Thanks for sharing this! The crash might be due to qt4-homescreen-loader used here.

Live search will get implemented as soon as I figure out how to do it on a QListWidget.

Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
bug report:
Yes, I get that too on the Opera icon. It is because opera uses scalable icon and does not have any 48x48 or smaller icon. I will try to fix this.

Added a new version of Shortcut Stash.
Now the buttons have translucent background so the widget looks more like the desktop shortcuts.

Download new package from the first post.

Last edited by rooster13; 2010-11-06 at 07:59. Reason: Added link to the first post

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Hey first off great application, at first I thought it was more like something that would let you place shortcuts to certain folders. I do like this idea but I would prefer to be able to limit what shows in the lists. Like folders there are only a few folders I really want access to but have to scroll through them all.

I notice some of the icons in the app list are messed up appdownloader, Diskusage, Vagalume are three I noticed on mine. Also the icons for the widget it looks like they are just being pulled from hicolor folder or you did them your self can you have them pulled from the current active theme?

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The Following User Says Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post: