Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Simply reinstalling a package will not destroy your personal data. However, it is recommended that you backup this data regularly using the built-in backup utility.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

watever, i just unstalled my chinese input and it works perfectly again ... wtf. im going to just sell this piece of **** n900, and get iphone4. saves all the troubles

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brussels, Belgium
Mokstar, do as you want, but consider that your phone is working well again, and that there is a community to help you in cases like these.
Are you in China? I could use another n900?

Vow, by reading this post, at least I know there are people sharing the same problem and frustration after upgrading to MSCIM #1.4.7-1maemo15.

My problem is even worse ....

My MSCIM and PenPower writing pad were pre-installed by NOKIA for me. So, I had been using the PenPower writing pad since Day One. I was happy except finding MSCIM was the cause of disablility of the virtual keyboard but that was OK., I still had the actual keyboard to work with.

Some months ago, I received a upgrade notice for my PenPower, as usual, I clicked to installed the upgrade but the installation failed; I checked the upgrade version but it was actually what had been installed. I approached PenPower, they responded fast but gave no actual explanation to this issue, their advice was to ignore the upgrade notice if I was already having the latest version. There had to be something wrong with the PenPower in my N900 or otherwise I would not receive the upgrade notice, right? Since the PenPower was always working, I just took PenPower's advice to ignore the upgrade message.

When I saw the upgrade notice of MSCIM on Sunday, I was happy as I naively thought it might solve the conflict problem with the virtual keyboard. I immediately downloaded the upgrade. Monday morning, I had to write a SMS and for the first time, the virtual keyboad popped up and workable. I was so happy and too soon. When I had to write Chinese, I pressed the "Sym+@" to call the PenPower out, it did not respond. And then soon I notice the FN and CAP LOCK were not functioned too.

I decided to try uninstalling the PenPower and re-installing it back. I successfully uninstalled the PenPower but when it failed in installation; the error message said "Unable to install ......". The whole PenPower should be 12.X or 2X.X MB size but it only created a 2MB file of PenPower Writing Pad.

I tried to uninstall MSCIM as well but was denied as a message said other applications needed it.

I approached technical support of PenPower yesterday, a reply received today, saying the matter was under investigation.

A total reset by re-installing the firmware 1.3 sounds like an option for trial. However, if we chose not to re-install MSCIM, we would not be able to use any Chinese input method. If we chose to re-install MSCIM, we would be facing the same problem which means no point to perform the "reset".

I could understand those frustrating friends who wanted to trade out N900 for other phones. For me, N900 has been giving some hard time, I still love a number of apps which are yet available on other phones or o/s. I think I shall hold on.

TC

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brussels, Belgium
@Timothy CHAN: We would be glad to help. Reinstalling mscim and mscim-googlepinyin was working for me.

Could you please copy/paste the error message you get when trying to reinstall mscim from the terminal? I am sure we can fix this.

The Following User Says Thank You to Buzrael For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mveplus View Post
I'm using mscim and mscim-pinyin last pakage, and I have no problem locking Fn or CAPS (2^Shift). Even I'm using three input methods: Mscim, English and Bulgarian-phonetic.
The suggestions form developer of mscim was to purge the package and to reboot and install it again ( if that helps)
Code:
$root
#apt-get purge mscim*
#reboot
and then install
Code:
$root
#apt-get update
#apt-get install mscim mscim-pinyin
#reboot
Thank you, you've made my day.