Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
There is easy chroot if you really want virtualization... I mean you could run multiple OS at the same time on n900...
chroot is not virtualization though, they appear similar but are extremely different at a much lower level.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
If this is true virtualization (I didn't read the link), I'd be interested to know how they plan to implement fault isolation on what I'm assuming is ARM v7 to prevent the virtualized OS to leak into the host. As I understand it, the architecture doesn't have this facility built in.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Do you mean the n900 or the n800? I saw the n800 demo, but I didn't see the n900 demo.
My apologies it was the N800

I knew it was done on one of the N*00;s

The Following User Says Thank You to *Sonic* For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
We've discussed this topic already here. There was for additional information a link to the Product from VMware. (it seems so me they was searching for business partners) Perhaps they found now a new customer. (unfortunately not NOKIA - whereas the early demos and most of the development I guess was on the Nokia devices - see the N800 video)

Last edited by Helmuth; 2010-12-09 at 21:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
This would be useful for smaller/Indie companies but I know for sure that IBM would not want it near them or their contractual partners. I work for IBM and they really do not like end users using their own devices, 1 bit.
I have a different view on that.
I work for IBM as well and I can say they are very open in allowing non-IBM supplied devices onto the Power9 network, as long as they comply with the security rules IBM has put forward for every platform.

FYI, look at the IBM sponsored VPN access methods supplied for Symbian, iPhone, Android, Linux and Windows Mobile, in the IBM internal TAP area : https://ciscovpn.bluehost.ibm.com/instructions.php That's the best proof they allow end-user owned devices in the heart of the business, the internal network.

Small extract :

Welcome to the Emerging VPN Technologies Pilot
This offering is designed to address the needs for IBM's mobile users that require access from unsupported, non-windows based platforms. It provides a simple/easy method for accessing the IBM network from remote locations using desktops or smartphone devices.
The current platforms supported are Mac, iPhone/iPod Touch, Linux and limited clientless SSL-based access for Windows (restrictions apply please see the Support Section for details). We will begin investigation into other platforms such as Symbian S60, Windows Mobile and Google Android.
Registration is open to all IBM employees but there are restrictions on the number of users per each platform. If you are interested you should register soon as available spots will fill up fast.
Also, they allow Virtualization, licensed via VMware or freeware via VirtualBox or KMV, as long as -again- the individual OSes are properly licenced or free (as in Linux and others) and as long as the security rules are applied correctly on each platform.

Maybe different parts of the world behave differently but the main IBM CIO office does support openness, also in devices. If they are safely implemented.

my N900 is happily VPN connected using OpenConnect since yesterday. I even could today convert and run the (initially Ubuntu) local Java based time reporting application to run native on the N900, using the latest Oracle Embedded headfull JRE. Smooth as hell, fully functional

Loving my setup. I'm pretty sure I'll make my other internal IBM apps work as well on my N900 pretty easily, as most are written in platform independent Java, as it needs to run on the IBM supported Linux distros as well as on Windows variants.

iPhone and Android, eat you heart out

my 5 cents.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
We've discussed this topic already here. There was for additional information a link to the Product from VMware. (it seems so me they was searching for business partners) Perhaps they found now a new customer. (unfortunately not NOKIA - whereas the early demos and most of the development I guess was on the Nokia devices - see the N800 video)
I wonder if that has anything to do with Nokia's fickle and poor support of their own platforms and customers.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I wonder if that has anything to do with Nokia's fickle and poor support of their own platforms and customers.
We will never know.

Sadly, this would be such a great environment for testing and development. Maemo and Meego side by side with Android and WebOS at a single device and for the freaky guys even Windows Mobile. - No need for rebooting. You have still your normal environment running.

chroot is nice, but a VM would be even better.

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post: