Poll: do you overclock your n900?
Poll Options
do you overclock your n900?

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
I'd say it was a valid question. I'm overclocked at 1Ghz as a standard boot-up profile for Maemo and the same goes for the NITdroid install I have as a secondary OS. If I'm streaming Flash from the web I might go to 1.15Ghz as there is a performance improvement to be had. I notice a large improvement over standard when overclocked from both loading apps and in-process tasks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Switch_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
well for the small survey size so far, it looks like most tmo users are overclocking regularly, with only about a quarter not oc'ing at all, i was quite suprised to see this, but obviously this is hardly a complete picture of whats going on. people completely uninterested in oc'in may not even click on the thread. and we need a much larger sample size for any proper analysis. still... interesting...

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

I used to overclock at 900MHz and 1000MHz when I had PR1.2 and it was great.

when I upgraded to PR1.3 I noticed that my battery would drain much faster if I installed the power kernel. I then restored the stock kernel. I didn't see many benefits of overclocking.. phone startup time was marginally faster... flash videos are still choppy at the beginning.

The Following User Says Thank You to mtran66 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
...i was quite suprised to see this, but obviously this is hardly a complete picture of whats going on. people completely uninterested in oc'in may not even click on the thread. and we need a much larger sample size for any proper analysis. still... interesting...
I trust you are not discounting the results of this survey. If people with no interest in overclocking weren't participating you'd have a 0% that were not overclocking showing in your data. Your survey is showing how pervasive overclocking is in this community. It is very possible that the majority of N900 owners are not overclocked but the subset of owners who are members of this community appear to be overclocked.

125/1100 ideal default configuration

The Following User Says Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by tzsm98 View Post
I trust you are not discounting the results of this survey. If people with no interest in overclocking weren't participating you'd have a 0% that were not overclocking showing in your data. Your survey is showing how pervasive overclocking is in this community. It is very possible that the majority of N900 owners are not overclocked but the subset of owners who are members of this community appear to be overclocked.

125/1100 ideal default configuration
oh i'm not discounting it at all, ibut as with all surveys these kind of things affect the outcome, and its useful to acknowledge that before the naysayers jump in and say the figures are useless.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

I keep it on xlv - limits 500 805, and it runs pretty smooth,

The Following User Says Thank You to myeyegooogles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mtran66 View Post
when I upgraded to PR1.3 I noticed that my battery would drain much faster if I installed the power kernel. I then restored the stock kernel.
Hey, wait a minute! :S
That happened to me too!!
I flashed back to fresh state, I didn't wanned to install the power kernel, and my battery last forever. I was wondering yesterday if the power kernel have some issues with PR1.3 and the battery because even on Starving my battery couldnt last more than 16hrs but with stock kernel I'm currently on almost 26hrs

Originally Posted by icke View Post
I tried, but didn't get everything runnig again. At first call and sms notifications ceased to work, later I had issues with BlessN900. As taking pictures is one of my main uses, I upstood from over-clocking. However, I did enjoy my 850mHz-times.

icke
I am overclocked with limits 125 850. Love the fluidity and speed of the device. That is, I do notice a difference. I also am a great fan of BlessN900, have taken terrific pics of winter scenes as well as night photos of the beautiful Christmas decorations where I live. No problems here. Merry Christmas www.edwardrandall.com

Running @850mhz for 8 months now 24/7

I also have 1000mhz widget for heavy usage.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The reason for this poll is that people have recently made outrageous misstatements about overclocking. Someone recently was quite sure that most people here overclock, and the speed they overclock at is 1.1 Ghz.

That is of course absurd, and the reasonable way to prove it's not true is to poll people.

BTW: I do regularly oc to 900 mHz max, but I have never even tried faster, not even once.

Last edited by geneven; 2010-12-15 at 22:37.