yes microsd cards cost money but I assure you, you are paying more per GB from the phone manufacturer than your microsd purchase. As far as speed goes, a lot of these phones' internal memory is nothing more than a glorified soldered-on SD card (as opposed to NAND).

You are entitled to your own opinions, however if you are comparing to the N900 or N97, need I not remind you of the measly capacity that Nokia allots for the OS (and applications) leaving the rest of the ~32GB for media ONLY (the community had to come up with optifying packages and that's not a real solution).

I'd rather have the entire memory be microsd personally, at least then it's easier to backup (not to mention hack/modify) as well as I can take my microsd card and use it in all my devices (with adapters as required) if need be.

Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
Furthermore it is unclear if Motorola will lock the bootloader (probably) and whether or not anyone can crack it.
I don't think it's unclear, given it's Motorola. They will definitely lock the bootloader and sign the Kernel. They told Ars this isn't for "enthusiats," which is a ridiculous statement for this kind of hardware, and it makes me wonder what kind of protections they'll put in place to keep you out.

And AT&T isn't known to go easy on the "DRM".
And the way people are heralding the "death of the pc" with this, I'm hoping that some vendor out there sees fit to not be an *** about things.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Didn't nokia do this already with the N8?

btw, their dock "connector" seems to be a duo of micro-usb and mini-hdmi. So it could be that their dock only acts as a hub of sorts.

btw, kinda interesting to see the thing "boot" their "webtop" at first connect. I wonder if they did something similar to what archos did with the 5it, meaning that the webtop is taking over the linux environment from the java vm.

The webtop thing runs firefox and a WM, which might well mean it runs on X. It also runs android apps. I wonder if it would be possible to take that android over X thing for the N900 so we can run android apps?
It's probably a very long shot. If it's binary only are cortex A8 and A9 compatible? (I'd have thought they are but am not sure) Here's hoping some kind of easydebian/preenv type affair will be possible.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/09/m...#disqus_thread

Endgadget posted a new hands on, unfortunately the handling of video in the full browser showed some choppiness, but the concept is still very cool.

Naw I will stick with My IBM Mainframe and my server, this thing is to much a toy.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Not as choppy as I were led to believe.

The Flash video choppiness is not a good indication of anything. The linux version of Flash is crap even on my laptop (intel GPU) and "full-screen" is unusable, instead I have to use Compiz Fusion's enhanced zoom plugin. A better indication of it's capabilities would be playing some high resolution video with mplayer.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
I think phone processors have another generation to go before they can competently handle traditional desktop tasks. The Atrix laptop-dock is a really cool concept, but a mite before its time.

Still, it's useful in that it adds a keyboard to a smartphone, and for simple tasks (light surfing, sshing, emailing, document editing, etc) it could be very useful for a select few.

Does anyone know the duration a user can use the phone and laptop shell together? I would expect that the shell would need a battery to drive that large screen, and I would bet that it could charge the phone as well.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
I think phone processors have another generation to go before they can competently handle traditional desktop tasks.
This comes down to what one see a "traditional" desktop task.

they can clearly already do browsing, audio and video playback, and even games. Tho i suspect multimedia editing may give it pause, depending on the resolution of the source data. But how "traditional" is that, exactly?

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, atrix, lame idea, lockdown, motorola, nocyanogen, nokia sucks, nokiasucksballs