Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I thought power 46 didn't allow 125 MHz

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
I thought power 46 didn't allow 125 MHz
Just try it. Start the phone app and then rootshell and kernel-config show. I don't know but a guy here claims that they ( power-kernel, jaki ) have a workaround for this. I'm not sure, because I found a workaround myself and I've posted it in my thread. In return I got a lot of aggressive posts from this guy. Read my thread it's about write-protect the scaling device.

Last edited by epitaph; 2011-01-14 at 12:48.

Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
Just try it. Start the phone app and then rootshell and kernel-config show. I don't know but a guy here claims that they ( power-kernel, jaki ) have a workaround for this. I'm not sure, because I found a workaround, too and I've posted it in my thread. In turn I got aggressive posts from this guy. Read my thread it's about write-protect the scaling device.
After posting, I thought it wouldn't hurt to check.

Code:
~ $ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq | awk '{print $1/1000"Mhz"}'
125Mhz
Uh-oh. Well, that sort of explains some stuff. Funny that (the kind of funny when you drive over your own foot) I knew that, but remember reading that 125 was no longer allowed by kernel.

Oh dear. Oh my. That's why it only crashes when locked and tucked away. It never goes under 250 when on.

Well, I have stuff to do. Thank you.

Last edited by ndi; 2011-01-14 at 12:34. Reason: this sentence no verb.

I dug up /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/avoid_frequencies

Is this permanent or it dies through a reboot? Also, if issued before a kernel-config save, does it survive the load? Since my phone kid of reboots randomly, it's hard to test.

Oh, and I skimmed the syslog. In summary, it looks like this:

15.01 15:00:00 Call ended
01.01.09 00:00:00 Booting up.

The last event was politely shutting down a call, then world ended. It looks increasingly likely that is my problem. Will keep investigations. Now banned 125 and 250 MHz. Let's see.

Last edited by ndi; 2011-01-15 at 13:57.

I'm using conservative governor which is better for battery life also anyway in conservative governor there isn't such a device property avoid_frequency hence i'm forced to write-protect scaling_min_freq. it should work with ondemand governor too but problem is that your forced to use your custom freq all the time such you can't use qcpu_freq or any gui or any other program.

Update nr 2:

No calls this time, frequencies are banned (125 and 250).

Again failed and shut down, needs battery removal. I tried to charge it when in the dead state, the orange LED blinks shortly (100 ms?) and then nothing whatsoever. Don't think it's charging. Again remove battery, set time, date and region. This stinks to high heaven, because I need to set time to hours behind and set region to UK, which is GMT, because it uses command and dot. If I tell it I'm in Romania, it uses dot and comma which is correct for legal purposes but few use it.

Anyway, back to death nr 2:

Syslogd shows that the last minute of its life was quite relaxing, except for the last few messages, which were:

15:15:00 - wlancond: signal low
15:15:00 - kernel: roaming signal from driver, sending LOWSIGNAL
00:00:00 - syslogd: restart

Thus far, the phone thing is running fine. Again, however, it has crashed when leaving wlan area.

I have found that banned frequencies are sticky through reboots and that I'm not insane - it does core when leaving wifi coverage. Also, I have pegged CPU to 900-900 in an attempt to make it as predictable as possible. I have run at 900 MHz for days on end, sometimes a week with heavy use and no issues. 900 is stable here.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Update nr 2:

No calls this time, frequencies are banned (125 and 250).

Again failed and shut down, needs battery removal. I tried to charge it when in the dead state, the orange LED blinks shortly (100 ms?) and then nothing whatsoever. Don't think it's charging. Again remove battery, set time, date and region. This stinks to high heaven, because I need to set time to hours behind and set region to UK, which is GMT, because it uses command and dot. If I tell it I'm in Romania, it uses dot and comma which is correct for legal purposes but few use it.

Anyway, back to death nr 2:

Syslogd shows that the last minute of its life was quite relaxing, except for the last few messages, which were:

15:15:00 - wlancond: signal low
15:15:00 - kernel: roaming signal from driver, sending LOWSIGNAL
00:00:00 - syslogd: restart

Thus far, the phone thing is running fine. Again, however, it has crashed when leaving wlan area.

I have found that banned frequencies are sticky through reboots and that I'm not insane - it does core when leaving wifi coverage. Also, I have pegged CPU to 900-900 in an attempt to make it as predictable as possible. I have run at 900 MHz for days on end, sometimes a week with heavy use and no issues. 900 is stable here.
Just try to write-protect scaling_min_freq. It's the simplest also u don't have to trust titans knowledge ( i don't either ) and start the phone app again. 1st u will noticed that scaling_min_freq doesn't change and 2nd i don't know if it solve ur problem anyway. it solve my problem with the phone app!

BTW: do u know by chance where i can get savelog for fremantle? coz syslogd is good but i need logrotate and i can install logrotate but syslogd itself can logrotate but savelog is in another package that is not available for fremantle if i'm up-to-date.

EDIT: AFAIK the wifi driver has a problem when out-of-range. this has been fixed by lxp bleeding-edge driver.

Last edited by epitaph; 2011-01-15 at 16:35.