Active Topics

Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
This whole "factoring in the plan" cost stuff is ********. Nobody says that about free phones.

If everyone wants to get technical, you can cancel the plan for $175 30 seconds after you activate and you'll be left with a nice Video iPod and Safari.
I usually do calculate my total costs. I don't make may calls, so I don't need 450 minutes or something. (I stay below 100 minutes a months)
So I think $60 a month is a lot of money, because I would ony want the data plan and the Ipod features.

Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Can you remove the AT&T simcard and put it in a normal Edge phone that allows modem usage? . . . is it Simlocked? (so could you put in a different card if you are in a foreign country for example?).
My reading of the review is that the SIM card is hard wired. In other words there is none to remove. Couple this with being unable to open the device anyway and I would say the current model is unsellable in Europe. Even in the USA it's just a very expensive iPod for posers.

Maybe the Mk2 version will come over here and actually live up to the hype . . .No, it may come over here but it will never live up to the hype!

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
This whole "factoring in the plan" cost stuff is ********. Nobody says that about free phones.
$2000 is the minimum cost if you want an iPhone - it's not available SIM free so if you want an iPhone you have to pony up $2000 (not including taxes). Let me know if you can buy an iPhone without a contract and use it on any other data plan - cos if you can't, the cost of the iPhone is as I stated, $2000.

Never before has a mobile phone had such restricted availability which is why it's never before been necessary to consider the cost of the plan as part of the overall cost.

Sorry millhouse, my anger isn't directed at you... I was just annoyed with all the blogs stating "omg $2000 because the plan".
No problem In the UK, all contract phones are subsidised by the contract which is usually 12 months so over the period of the 12 months you pay off the phone - eg. a £50/month contract will get you a "free" £600 Nokia N95. But since the iPhone is locked into a 2 year contract you can consider that in order to own an iPhone you have to shell out the full cost of that two year contract plus the $599 for the 8GB device - you can't own the phone any other way. If the iPhone were available for $599 and without a contract then the cost of the iPhone would be $599, but it's not possible to buy at that price. Only for $2000.

If everyone wants to get technical, you can cancel the plan for $175 30 seconds after you activate and you'll be left with a nice Video iPod and Safari.
While possible to do this, you won't be able to use it on any other plan or network - the iPhone needs back end servers on the carriers network in order to work. No contract == expensive ($599+$175) brick (I doubt even iPod functionality will work!)

Last edited by Milhouse; 2007-06-27 at 16:25.

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
it s scary. All this could end up being a major blow to Apple. "How to destroy the Ipod success 101"

Ah so you aren't a cell phone user. In that case I understand

Though I do remember hearing "You can apply any phone plan to the iPhone". Unfortunately, their smallest package is $39 for 450 minutes, with no data...

I do see where you're coming from, I would love a video iPod with Wifi and all the same features minus the phone.

Edit: In regards to the plan stuff, I believe you can cancel out of the contract and apply the iphone data plan alone, which is $20 a month. Edge sucks badly though

So $599 + 175 to get onto a $20 a month data connection (although very slow). Its also stated that it just needs activation once, so the iPod features should work just fine without voice services. I'll try to find the link that cites that, but it was pretty clear.

That said, I wouldn't get the iPhone if I wasn't using its voice capabilities. I'd prefer a device similar to my N800 or Foleo.

Last edited by sherifnix; 2007-06-27 at 16:45.

Posts: 269 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Finland
Ah so you aren't a cell phone user. In that case I understand

Though I do remember hearing "You can apply any phone plan to the iPhone".

Unfortunately, their smallest package is $39 for 450 minutes, with no data...

I do see where you're coming from, I would love a video iPod with Wifi and all the same features minus the phone.
errr...I m a heavy cell phone user. I don't have an Ipod. I like the way Apple bounced back with the Ipod. I mean that if they launch it so massively and if it turn out to be a flop because of all what is being said herabove, then the financial bonanza will have been a short ray of light.

- I d better purchase a E90 as a competitor (it does everything), but with a n800 already, i d better have a N95.

This is why I am waiting for v. 2.0 . I am an Apple user/fan, have a Macbook Pro, Treo 755p (use it as a modem) and a Nokia 800.... I am sure these short comings will be addressed soon.

I would get an iPhone once these things are addressed but I would like to replace my iPod and phone into one device... but I need at least 30-40 GB for my existing music, videos, etc. It will get there in time.

I an eager to see the device especially for surfing the web and compare it to the N 800 (quality wise).

"I an eager to see the device especially for surfing the web and compare it to the N 800 (quality wise)"

Me too. I have a strong feeling from what I've seen in video and heard in reviews that the Iphone's browser has nothing on the N800. The X-factor, of course, will be the creativity and diversity of "Web 2.0" apps that the community develops.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
One reason I got the N800 is there is no monthly charge that comes with it. I have a Tracfone, with a cost of something.like $100 a year. I already have a Vonage phone, for about $30 a month. The iPhone would be way out of my budget.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
David Pogue does an entertaining and informative video review
http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_stor...3940afb8a3f7c8