Notices

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by arora.rohan View Post
Can you include a feature with this that, the proximity sensor gets disabled when we get a call so that the screen is always lit up.. and we can slide..and dont have to worry about rejecting a call accidentally.. or is it already included??
This would be highly, highly appreciated!

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by arora.rohan View Post
Can you include a feature with this that, the proximity sensor gets disabled when we get a call so that the screen is always lit up.. and we can slide..and dont have to worry about rejecting a call accidentally.. or is it already included??
This will NEVER be implemented as in a Touch Screen device, this exactly is the purpose of the proximity sensor: to disable the screen while the proximity sensor is covered, eg while in pocket. If proximity sensor was disabled, when the phone rings, the screen would lit up and the buttons would get pressed automatically.

Also, your problem is not caused due to delayed proximity sensor. IMO, it is due to delayed drawing of UI elements on screens, possibly due to high CPU load.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
:-/ While the phone is ringing there is no use of Proximity sensor if you have a slide to answer..

Proximity can be enabled after we pick up the call..

Think !

also..due to proximity sensor the cpu has to work more..cause of its absurd behavior.

Last edited by arora.rohan; 2011-03-24 at 06:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to arora.rohan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by sakya View Post
I was working on something similar before your project (using Qt), and cannot remember any slowdowns...
I stopped developing it when I saw your project.
This evening I'll recheck my code and see if it is still working...
Actually, it is related, see fastsmsevo, they keyboard sometimes takes ages to show up.

And when you're getting a call, the load that the phone goes through for a reason I don't know of is a lot, so that doesn't help @ painting UI elements.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I am not a Linux person, but can't you lower the priority of the phone while doing what you do, so that it can be useful? And then restore when slid so we can actually talk.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
This will NEVER be implemented as in a Touch Screen device, this exactly is the purpose of the proximity sensor: to disable the screen while the proximity sensor is covered, eg while in pocket. If proximity sensor was disabled, when the phone rings, the screen would lit up and the buttons would get pressed automatically.

Also, your problem is not caused due to delayed proximity sensor. IMO, it is due to delayed drawing of UI elements on screens, possibly due to high CPU load.
No, thats not true! The proximity sensor disables the screen as soon as you hold the phone near your face / ear.
The abuse to use it to lock the screen in the pocket is only a dirty workaround. If you want to use it for this case you will need at minimum 4 proximity sensors at each corner of the screen to ensure the screen is really not covered while pulling it somewhere out.
The delay was introduced because of this in the last fix. But it doesn't fix the main problem. The phone unlocks the touchscreen itself. And the proximity sensor is the only sensor signal the N900 is able to evaluate if it is a good moment to unlock or not.

There are very good reasons why iOS, Android und even Symbian are using slide to answer if the screen was locked before. The proximity sensor has a other purpose.

Please see the Bug report for additional informations: Bug 5982

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Helmuth, arora, you guys are right! I didnt think of the ios way. I've only been used to winmo and uiq prior to maemo. Both these used the same methodology as n900. I never really thought about slide to answer as a feature rather than an eye candy. Thanks for opening my eyes.

However, i was thinking why all my previous phones all behaved the same. Then i got it- they all have a resisitve screen-like the n900. So, if the screen is on, it basically means that touching with anything is registered. And do you know what happens when we simultaneously click two points on our screens? it registers as a 0 second infinite speed slide. So even if do have a slide-to-answer, the resistive screen might make this potentially un-useful.
What do you guys think?

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 353 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India
Chuck Norris would say :
(silence )

I would say :

Not as bad as the current scenario. :-/ at least i would be able to pick call under 5 secs.

EDIT : and the thing about sliding.. you've used slide to unlock screen of n900 a lot fo times i guess...try using it once...the best part is..even if you move your finger up and down after you've pressed on the slider once..it still registers as a sliding!
Try it!

Last edited by arora.rohan; 2011-03-24 at 17:24.

Posts: 533 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Actually, it is related, see fastsmsevo, they keyboard sometimes takes ages to show up.

And when you're getting a call, the load that the phone goes through for a reason I don't know of is a lot, so that doesn't help @ painting UI elements.
You're right...I didn't remember the slowdown, but I tried my program now and it takes some seconds (4 or 5) to render the window...

Here's a screesnhot:

Last edited by sakya; 2011-03-24 at 19:58.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sakya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by sakya View Post
You're right...I didn't remember the slowdown, but I tried my program now and it takes some seconds (4 or 5) to render the window...

Here's a screesnhot:
Yes, and when you're testing you're probably not doing anything else, while in practice, you'll probably have some load on the device, so that 4-5s gets bumped to 10-15

This needs to be done in Gtk.