Notices

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Trivandrum
Hii Im a Noob too.. been using N900 from Nov 2010, but i am just a regular user, not a programmer.. But when i see the forums and wonder how they made the dektop with all the cool widgets!! Then i found out tht its QBW.. but man, its really really hard.. I am really happy to see a thread like this.. May a tutorial for a single cool widget by the experts is a good start..

Posts: 1,444 | Thanked: 461 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ pakistan
Originally Posted by shahulhrj View Post
Hii Im a Noob too.. been using N900 from Nov 2010, but i am just a regular user, not a programmer.. But when i see the forums and wonder how they made the dektop with all the cool widgets!! Then i found out tht its QBW.. but man, its really really hard.. I am really happy to see a thread like this.. May a tutorial for a single cool widget by the experts is a good start..
well i have start using it today , and what i have learnt is (you can say) is the a b c of it :P
like i have learnt to use different commands , as in i have the battery widget showing percentage , remaing rootfs .
well try to play with these codes and you will be able to use the other codes by the time.
you know you cant eat a whole burger in one bite
so calm down and start learning the a b c as i did :P

here the link for some useful codes for practicing :P
http://wiki.maemo.org/Desktop_Comman..._start_browser

and the instructions i have already mentioned in earlier posts .
like what size you want your widget to be or do you want the text to be shown etc.

Nice thread, I do like to play with the QBW scripts myself.

I found this Show off your Maemo 5 screenshots thread very helpful as a "mini" repository for scripts & widgets too. It also has a lot of eye candy and many tips on what can be achieved with QBW.

Although I should say, if anyone does venture in to that thread, please stay on topic

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Nice thread, I do like to play with the QBW scripts myself.

I found this Show off your Maemo 5 screenshots thread very helpful as a "mini" repository for scripts & widgets too. It also has a lot of eye candy and many tips on what can be achieved with QBW.

Although I should say, if anyone does venture in to that thread, please stay on topic
lol
this thread was the reason why i started my own one :P
agreed that thread is really helpfull but for those who have some knowledge already .
and this thread is to gain it :P

can any one let us know how you guys make the icons look amazing ?

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by K.Singh View Post
This is a good thread, I have had a whole desktop dedicated to QBW for a good few months with the intention of getting to grips with it but every time i go to the QBW original thread or the wiki, I just get confused and only use to find out my battery %.

Richwhite, i wanted to set up something to update me with English Premier League scores, is that possible?
I believe so, but i don't know how to do it. Do a search though because when QBW first came out there was one for world cup scores

Originally Posted by eefo View Post
can any one let us know how you guys make the icons look amazing ?
Just google for icons you like, save them as .png files, transfer to /.images/queen_beecon_dir (will need filebox) and in 'command title settings' just put imagename.png

The Following User Says Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
well i am hoping to see other experts to contribute here :$
my question is how to use the lock and unlock scripts ?
i tried lock screen and keys and whoop every thing turned black as it's automatically being implemented :$
somehow i managed to get rid of it , now need help .
how to use it in a proper way :$
i have the dbus scripts for locking and unlocking .
but still will not try untill have a suggestiong.
Never used the unlock script, but i use the lock one on 2 desktops.

To use it 'properly', new beecon, 'add cmd', name it what you want and put this in the command box:

dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.req_tklock_mode_change string:"locked" | echo ""
(that's a space after mce and /com, and request and com, and before echo.)

do the height and width as you want it. If you want an image (i used to have a padlock) put imagename.png in command title settings, then use the three buttons next to that box to set the size how you want it. If you don't want an image but want the command to be invisible (which i now do), on the bottom row of that same section (above 'command results settings') is 'position', change to hidden.
Command results settings - ignore this one, except for 'position' on the bottom row, make that hidden also.

Then for update policies, do 'no' for everything except 'click'

That's it, a working lock widget.

The Following User Says Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Never used the unlock script, but i use the lock one on 2 desktops.

To use it 'properly', new beecon, 'add cmd', name it what you want and put this in the command box:

dbus-send --system --type=method_call --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.req_tklock_mode_change string:"locked" | echo ""
(that's a space after mce and /com, and request and com, and before echo.)

do the height and width as you want it. If you want an image (i used to have a padlock) put imagename.png in command title settings, then use the three buttons next to that box to set the size how you want it. If you don't want an image but want the command to be invisible (which i now do), on the bottom row of that same section (above 'command results settings') is 'position', change to hidden.
Command results settings - ignore this one, except for 'position' on the bottom row, make that hidden also.

Then for update policies, do 'no' for everything except 'click'

That's it, a working lock widget.

it really feel awesome to see some one doing big things for noobs
you rock man .

it really feel awesome to see some one doing big things for noobs
you rock man .
No problem, i had a lot of help when i first starting playing around with this phone. The real gems of information will be from people like Qosmio and D4rklar; once you get the basics for QBW if you see anything you like in the screenshots thread just ask for people's codes and they'll usually be happy to oblige.

Tags
it's noob tym:p