Posts: 213 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Rota Land
lol at the tags on this thread

Lol..... At the tags tooo....

Btw... This would've been a great question if asked about 6 months ago which a lot of ppl already did.... :P

Meego DE development will be continued after the release of the 1.2 FINAL VERSION? Is a future 1.3 version in the plans?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
I would assume so, but this would be better asked in the MeeGo DE thread and/or from jukkaeklund

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Whether by Nokia or not, the current N900 adaptation team and those of us that are enthusiastic about MeeGo on the N900 will keep the DE platform updated. You have to understand that MeeGo development and also Nokias' N900 Developer Edition are all being developed in the open, so even if the first DE release (based on MeeGo 1.2) is all Nokia actively contribute their resources to, the project will still be alive.

In fact, Nokias participation in creating the "Developer Edition" is merely assiging Nokia devs work and making sure MeeGo contributers are concentrating on the right areas, bugs and features, to reach the DE specifications. And it is clearly visible that Jukka and the team have successfully made really great progress in this regard. I can only hope we continue to have the great project management we've had recently with the N900 DE project. Something that has been a great help and source of inspiration for us all.

@abill, I wasn't asking you to pay out of your pocket, I was asking you to maybe look into creating the means and raising funds for possibly a bounty programme

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
All i can say is i won't hold my breath !.

Maybe someone could come up with a plan to actually raise funds to pay developers to devote more time, just a suggestion but at this rate by the time anything is substantially ready the N900 will be dead and buried ha.
What have you done to make Meego/Maemo developing/progressing faster?

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-04-25 at 17:48.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by PartyboyXP View Post
Meego DE development will be continued after the release of the 1.2 FINAL VERSION? Is a future 1.3 version in the plans?
It is upto de developors/Community and thats includes all of us!

If we want Meego 1.3 lets contribute! Simple is that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
This is somewhat wrong on both counts - MeeGo will be released for the N900 in the form of the Developer Edition, and while the name Maemo 6 might be not be in circulation, the Maemo 5 successor project is very much alive - as announced by Nokia, will be released as a MeeGo related product later this year. Nokia might not release that one as an upgrade, but I'm confident there will be community efforts to backport as much as possible from it to N900 in some form, within the limitation of the hardware and various drivers, of course.
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Whether by Nokia or not, the current N900 adaptation team and those of us that are enthusiastic about MeeGo on the N900 will keep the DE platform updated. You have to understand that MeeGo development and also Nokias' N900 Developer Edition are all being developed in the open, so even if the first DE release (based on MeeGo 1.2) is all Nokia actively contribute their resources to, the project will still be alive.

In fact, Nokias participation in creating the "Developer Edition" is merely assiging Nokia devs work and making sure MeeGo contributers are concentrating on the right areas, bugs and features, to reach the DE specifications. And it is clearly visible that Jukka and the team have successfully made really great progress in this regard. I can only hope we continue to have the great project management we've had recently with the N900 DE project. Something that has been a great help and source of inspiration for us all.

I'm still waiting for that Maemo Fremantle developer edition we were promised for N8x0 devices. Nokia's history of these devices does not instill confidence.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I'm still waiting for that Maemo Fremantle developer edition we were promised for N8x0 devices. Nokia's history of these devices does not instill confidence.
The difference here is that we're not waiting, the project is out in the public and accepting contributions. It is moving forward and you can use it now. It's not like how things have been in the past for us here. Which is positive

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
The difference here is that we're not waiting, the project is out in the public and accepting contributions. It is moving forward and you can use it now. It's not like how things have been in the past for us here. Which is positive
Hopefully not--but it's left me very cynical despite the "here and now" of MeeGo. There's still closed drivers and firmware to deal with and I can't help getting the sneaking suspicion that Nokia will find a way to ruin it.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
douching, kill me now, n900 douche, what a douche