Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
checkout the hostmode mod (h.e.n.) and make or find a usb adaptor cable so you can use a cheap usb SD card reader so you can transfer photos from the SD cards to the N900.

Have Upload working to several different sites/services (picasa, flickr, wordpress blog etc). Also email them to at least a couple of good long term friends, after asking them to keep them for you. then if you lose access to one account for any reason, you still have copies

Nothing worse than doing a trip and then losing the photos. I did 11 years ago when digital was in it's infancy.

And test? dry/run it all before you go, so you know it works and how it works.
Thanks for the info. Indeed I don't want to lose my photos that's why I'm taking all this trouble for backing them up

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Get a couple of batteries (SCUD, search this site for where to buy), a separate charger and a travel router. Just in case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
if you are going to be in a different country for a while, then a perepaid or pay-as-you-go sim card with a data allowance may be worth finding and using.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Germany
spent several weeks in Asia a couple of month ago:
  • Marble + OpenStreetMap + GPS for navigation - way better than Nokia's maps in certain areas - downloaded maps in advance whenever I had the chance to do so (abundance of open WiFis in or near hotels)
  • h-e-n to transfer pictures from my camera's SD card to the N900 - in hindsight, should have used an microSD-card + adapter instead (as suggested by other members). However, using h-e-n and a card reader, I was able to easily share some pictures with fellow travelers
  • dropbox for remote backup
  • spare battery is a must
  • about 10 movies for long trips on a bus or train

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigLebowski For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
I find the GPS, with no connections, takes a couple of minutes to establish lock when you turn it on after traveling more than 50 miles or so from the last point you used it. It is very fast at attaining lock if you haven't moved far.

On my last trip to Mexico, I used the n900 just like my netbook. I just used wireless access points. I did everything including video skype, that I did with the netbook. I also watched some of the dvd's I'd loaded on my n900 on the hotel tv's with my composite connector. I couldn't do that with the netbook!

The N900 is an awesome travel companion!

The Following User Says Thank You to Grok For This Useful Post:
Make absolutely sure you set the auto update time to something like a month or more, or it will eat something like 40 MB of data DAILY only to check for updates..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radu For This Useful Post:
For photos, I use hen to connect my camera directly (Panasonic, mass storage mode). Not the fastest but no need for card reader.

Never had a problem buying airline tickets or anything else online with the n900 browser.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nman For This Useful Post:
awesome reponses thanks everyone
I never realized that I dont need the card reader...

Posts: 137 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Drama, Greece
you can buy a micro sd card and a sd adapter if your camera supports sd cards you can then plug the micro sd card to your n900 and copy all your valuable photos to it and maybe upload them to the internets. I used it on my excursion at Athtens with school

Last edited by andreas.k; 2011-08-11 at 17:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to andreas.k For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
I just returned from a multi-week trip around Europe, and used the N900 as my sole device while there. A few pointers from that trip:

I found most wifi places worked well, and the stock browser could do just about anything. I have FireFox and Opera installed, but only had to use Opera once the whole trip. Most free wifi sites to have a "terms" thing to click though, and you have to do it each time you connect. Auto-reconnect is not your friend with those... turn it off.

You'll probably want another battery. Copying files, via h-e-n/external reader or to/from the internal tf slot takes a while and sucks battery fast. I usually did backups at the end of the day so that after the copy I could plug it in to charge for the night.

As already noted GPS lock time sucks without AGPS. I wound up getting a pre-paid sim for a few euro without data. I would turn on the GPS when on wifi, and AGPS would place me within a few hundred feet. (I was in major cities though, London, Madrid, Barcelona, etc.)

Originally Posted by Radu View Post
Make absolutely sure you set the auto update time to something like a month or more
I would advise to also turn off most repositories while attached via wifi. You can turn them on easily when on wifi again, which then also auto-refreshes the database. Then just in case it does hit the data plan with a check it's far less data with all the repositories turned off. You can also set connectivity to "Always Ask", which is a great setting for traveling.

One final bit on images: You probably want to either exclude the folder you're copying pictures into for backup via trackercfg, or at least tweaking it to only index while on mains power. If not, it adds tons of images to your device and it sucks power at random times to thumbnail them. If you're copying via the internal slot at night when it's plugged in, that's less of an issue. In that case you probably want to force it to index right after the copy by opening the image viewer. Nothing sucks like showing a friend a picture on the N900, and an hour later having a hot brick in your pocket beeping about low power.

Safe travels!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: