Poll: What to do?
Poll Options
What to do?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
The USB falling out isn't the only problem your N900 could have. I suggest that you completely file down the pins on your USB connectors in case you do have an occasion to use them and use a spare battery and the external charger as much as possible. Doing the USB fix now will invalidate your warranty which you might want to use if your N900 has any other problems.

When the warranty is due to expire, then apply the USB fix.

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
The USB falling out isn't the only problem your N900 could have. I suggest that you completely file down the pins on your USB connectors in case you do have an occasion to use them and use a spare battery and the external charger as much as possible. Doing the USB fix now will invalidate your warranty which you might want to use if your N900 has any other problems.

When the warranty is due to expire, then apply the USB fix.
Only problem with this is if the USB is about to fail now then if you want to fix it after warranty then the fix gets so much more complicated then just scraping abit of paint of and then soldering it down.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
I'll tell you how mine goes, N900 just left this morning via UPS to go to Nokia Care USA. The USB was not as bad as most others, but mine was suffering from the vanishing SIM card, some bizarre charging issues, and it always lost the Date/Time whenever it rebooted. Same situation as yours with the warranty, about to expire at the end of this month, so shipped it back and keeping fingers crossed.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Ok now one option started to pick up. Last time I checked it was a three way tie. Not exactly helpful :-)

Anyway, there's a nokia care pretty close, so I reckon I am going to speak to the guy there, ask him whether he's got any experience, if they are handing out E7's, if they can change the screen because of the white spots etc. If I don't get satisfied I can try another one. The goal is to get the best deal possible from the warranty (e.g. new screen) and then to open it up and fix it. (except if I am really lucky and manage to get a new one)
I might even accept an E7 if I find somewhere with new N900's in stock. I'm sure I can trade it for a N900 one way or another. Most people don't understand the N900's value, for them it's just a two year old phone...

(haha by the way somebody told me some crooks used a specific hardware revision to crack ATM's and get money, and that those phones can be sold for over 3000 euros in some regions, I laughed of course, but I couldn't refrain from making a connection to the thread about that guy who buys all N900 off ebay

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Smyrna, Atlanta / Bangalore, India
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
So, I've been using the phone regularly ignoring the usb problem for more than a year and a half. Charged every day, maybe twice a day, never filed the charger pins or anything, just always tried not to apply any torque to the connector. I also have one or two bright spots on the screen that have been reportedly been fixed (screen replaced) under warranty.
I recently bought a seperate battery charger and two spare batteries so I can now stop using the usb for charging. Because the charger was faulty, and until I received the replacement I continued charging by usb and noticed that some times I had to pull the charger off and re-insert it to start charging. Also I think there is a little slack that wasn't there but that may just be a placebo.

Now I have three choices:
  1. To stop using the usb charger and swap batteries. But what if it it comes off when connecting it to the computer just after warranty is over (January 2012)
  2. To go to nokia care and request a replacement on the grounds of the white spots, and the shaky USB But what if they give me an E7, I don't want an E7...
  3. Open it and glue it, while it's still on But then bye bye warranty (And I may mess it up, I have a history on that)

What do you suggest? What's the better choice
Dude..just file the charging plug ...thats the best and easiest solution....the port on my n900 came out ..i got it repaired in a Nokia shop and the next thing i did was to file of the charger plug and data cable plug..

The guy who bought all n900 on ebay is gonna conquer the world.

Back on topic. Maybe You could first gather info. Go to nokia care ask them what solutions could they give you on your faulty device. If they would provide replacement(n900) or repair then go for it. If they go for e7 then don't. Yeah e7 maybe have a greater value compared to n900 now but the rareness of the n900 is an exception. Having an e7 for trade to a n900 I'm sure no shop owners would be willing a swap for you even if your unit is unboxed and brand new unless you bought it from them. 2nd you could end up getting a 2nd hand n900 from other people. 3rd find someone first of ebay before you get a swap for an e7 or something. I visited ebay just today to find out there's no one selling n900 now(at least for our country).