Posts: 155 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Dublin
interesting, looks like a lot has been accomplished since i've been away.
the first community os had been put out i'm sure but it seemed far more risky than what's available now.

for all it's faults i really did love my n900.. and although the N9 looks very pretty n all that i don't think i'd have as much fun or frustration with it.

Anyone else feel that way about it?

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
i don't think there'll be a device like the n900 for many years, i'll always keep mine. and i hope it never breaks on me. i will get other phones and limit the n900 usage but can't beat it for what it does.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
i don't think there'll be a device like the n900 for many years, i'll always keep mine. and i hope it never breaks on me. i will get other phones and limit the n900 usage but can't beat it for what it does.
dont forget meego n900CE 1.3 working going on there is no good core UI atm. but progress will improvee alot now when we have qt-components backport from harmattan.

installaled latest build today and qtquicks apps seems to run smother on meegoCE than CSSU so in the long run meego IS the way to go.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The cssu packs more features than all PR's since 1,0 together. Portrait mode is the best, but also open application replacements (better camera app, portrait calculator and more)
Also great applications have been updated eg latest fastsms is on par with any other os virtual keyboard for portrait.

Go get that N900 kp48 also has compcache which is kind of software ram upgrade, and speedpatch seems to improve rotation a whole lot. (I have a new N900 with very few apps on it and the old one with about a year without reflash and more than 60 apps on it rotates faster) Only other difference is the speedpatch.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
can u run cssu without overclocking?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
of course you can. You can even run it on stock kernel although I recommend kp47 (haven't tried 48) anytime because it gives many more features than overclocking (better battery monitor being one, mobile hotspot, and usb host mode the others along with the bleeding edge wifi driver)

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
I've decided to buy the phone, I offered €100.. he said 140, I offered €120 and I have a deal.

I think that's a steal considering I paid €550 for mine new only 15 months ago. (sim free without contract of course)

I have an idea of how i'm going to go about setting it up.. but can anyone tell me any new must have apps that have been released in the last few months?

I hope we do get a PR 1.4 at some point.. the phone deserves it.

Originally Posted by Faustino View Post
I have an idea of how i'm going to go about setting it up.. but can anyone tell me any new must have apps that have been released in the last few months?
CuteTube QML has come on apace; QRadio is a much better interface than the old Radio app, but can't do stereo due, I believe, to upstream problems; TweedSuit is my Twitter app of choice.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The official PRs were mostly bug fixes, with minimal extra feature increases. Whereas, the CSSU provides many of the UI/UX features that were omited and now make full use of the hardware as actually inteded. Continued releases (of the CSSUs) included bug-fixes and new features. Amazing work!

The only reason, I can see, to have a further PR would be to provide improved hardware implementation (e.g. new Ti-OMAP drivers therefore ability to support Adobe Flash 10). This is about as likely as, well, ... you think of the analogy for something that won't happen!

- if the N9 has better drivers and these can be back ported from its kernel to that of the N900 (partial Harmattan HE) then there will be some further benefit for Maemo5 users. This will still be unofficial i.e. No PR.

Re Power Kernel:
This is an improved kernel that supports more features than the official one. It is not bug-free bug it does implement a number of features in addition to the CSSU and some the device was not even supposed to be capable of! This kernel is required in order to overclock the N900. On the other hand, there are some problems such as root > reboot not reliably working. Also, if you use an external keyboard for typing longer docs, there are problems with recent versions and certain keys.

The CSSU appears to be independent of the actual kernel in use.

PR 1.4 - not happening, unless someone pays TI, Nokia and perhaps others too!
CSSU - picked up where manufacturer left off, currently in a useful state (16th revision), still evolving (AFAIK).
Kernel Power/Power Kernel - more features and some more efficiency/speed than original kernel, some known errors, still evolving (AFAIK).

Edit: the moment I had submittied this post I immediately saw the post about improved graphics... OMG! Well, if there have been improved hardware implementations then I guess this is as near to a PR1.4 as we'll get; though, in this case it shouldn't be P for public but U for undercover. Nice one freemangordon.

Last edited by demolition; 2011-09-25 at 15:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Yes I have been observing Twitter for a while.. i think i "get" it now.. although the urge to abuse random celebrities or footballers is still far too high.. and if my job saw they might not like so i shall refrain.

Picking it up in an hour.. it's like meeting up with an old flame or something haha