Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
You will have no problems with attaining 3G speeds with an N900 on a T-mobile account in the UNLV area (which is close to the strip).

GSM is part of the reason, but not all, for Nokia's invisibility in the US. In the United States, very few cell phones are sold "unlocked". Consumers are used to buying phones on the carrier subsidy model, where the carrier heavily subsidizes the cost of a cell phone in exchange for a customer's acquiescence to a long term contract. Nokia seemed to have moved away from cooperating with the carriers in the middle part of the last decade (for better or worse). In fact, Nokia has practically zero general market advertising presence in the US (which is also difficult to generate without cooperation from the carriers).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
edit btw i havent done much international traveling but here in the US recently I have had a lot better luck going directly through the airlines rather than travel sites. Then again there are only a handful of airlines that I will fly on.
Problem with me is that I had never booked tickets myself, even domestic. Plus I (or say almost anyone in my country) do not have access to international payment system (because of government rules). I do want to do these things myself as you did. But at least for this time, its quite impossible to me.

Paid for the tickets this morning. More I approach the flight date, more I start feeling sad as I have to leave my home.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph9560 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
to be honest that feeling will probably be worse once you get here but not to worry almost anyone would feel this way. As you settle in and school starts everything will fall into place.

I have a friend that just moved to australia for a year, she called me everyday for a week or two. Once she started working and started exploring her new surroundings she couldnt be happier. Just hang in there, those feelings will subside and this will probably wind up being one of your greatest experiences in life.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Nepal to Vegas... that should be a culture shock to say the least

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mike Fila View Post
to be honest that feeling will probably be worse once you get here but not to worry almost anyone would feel this way. As you settle in and school starts everything will fall into place.

I have a friend that just moved to australia for a year, she called me everyday for a week or two. Once she started working and started exploring her new surroundings she couldnt be happier. Just hang in there, those feelings will subside and this will probably wind up being one of your greatest experiences in life.
I have experience of being outside my home for maximum of a month (during my India tour but obviously we were about 15 people and India is a lot like Nepal).

Although the experience will be quite different, I am quite sure that I wouldn't feel home sick for a while but after a while I would definitely start missing my family. But I have some seniors out there, so it will be probably less painful. Lets see how I would cope with it.

I am sure its gonna be whole lot of different experience and I would be learning a lot more during my study and stay there. More place you explore, more knowledge you gain!

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Just get an iPhone . It works well in America

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Nepal to Vegas... that should be a culture shock to say the least
Definitely. And even bad I missed the "Culture Shock" program that USEF (United States Educational Foundation) - Nepal organizes . Didn't have visa by the time they organize the program (about once a month).

I do watch lots of English movies and hence the shock should be a little less but I've met a another guy who used to watch a lot of English movies just like me and still had a big culture shock so I wouldn't be an exception. He was especially mentioning the slang and way of talking that black (its not offensive word, is it?) people uses and even while talks a lot different that what we are used to know during formal type of conversation and many movies.

Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
Just get an iPhone . It works well in America
I highly doubt I will do that! If I wanted it I would have got it here as well. Yet lets see how it goes!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joseph9560 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
yeah I would stay away from using the term black people ...i think the politically correct term is african american but I may be wrong ...people can get bent out of shape from the littlest things these days ..any sterotyping in general is best to stay away from.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Fila For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
If you are studying in Nevada, standards of political correctness might not be the same as they are in New York where Mike is from. I am from California, next to Nevada, and I think the term "black" or "black people" is politically correct, as is African American, which is too stilted and formal for my taste. Besides, African American would only refer to American blacks -- the term "black" would refer to people of that color worldwide.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post: