Active Topics

Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Without this article, I wouldn't have heard of WebM project for a long time. Nokia's suit attracts attention to WebM project, not only to Nokia itself.
How could you NOT hear about it?

Is TMO the only tech site you visit? Based on your comments I think so...

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Free as in open requires royalty free usage. Open source implementations alone don't guarantee that. I thought it's all quite basic, I'm not sure what you are arguing about.
Don't try to put sense into the TMO dwellers, it won't penetrate their thick skulls. I tried, and then gave up.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
@shmerl, herpderp: I really do not like the way you are trying to mock my opinion into trolling and calling me 'TMO dweller'. Please, i ask you to stop it.

I agree, that 'open-source' is not like 'free of charge'.
But as i do not like the advertisement bombardment , i would rather accept some kind of small fee.Probably like the fee, that is charged to CDs, DVD, drives and stick to smoother the copy of media and content.
But i am far from a lawyer to estimate all the aspects of the topic!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
How could you NOT hear about it?
Is TMO the only tech site you visit? Based on your comments I think so...
Fair... I haven't visited Mozilla Planet for a very long time. And Eurekalert, or 'general' news websites, would not take much notice of such 'trifling' matters as HTML5 video codecs.
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Don't try to put sense into the TMO dwellers, it won't penetrate their thick skulls. I tried, and then gave up.
Cheerful smile... I get that VP8 is under a free license, and the patents are royalty-free, but I still would have preferred to have no patents at all (similarly to Dirac), and a license-as-open-as-possible. Both VP8 and Theora are derived from VP3; why is Theora not considered a worthy choice? Yes, I am whining that proprietary development is suddenly considered to be of higher quality than parallel open-source development.
Since the software's license is considered [by Free Software Foundation] to be compatible with GPL, WebM-VP8 should be quite fine. I just don't wish for Theora to be abandoned in the Googlish excitement over bought-and-opened VP8.
Apple has opposed requiring Ogg format support in the HTML standard (even as a "should" requirement) on the grounds that HTML has historically not required particular formats for anything. Therefore, I am equally opposed to request of Mozilla and Opera that VP8 should be included in HTML.
Is freedom of choice too much to ask for? If Google makes good on his promise, and removes support for H.264 from Google Chrome, market share of browsers supporting only free formats would stand at 51%, 12% higher than that of browsers supporting only H.264. Good enough for those defending open-source-free video formats. No necessity to require particular formats within HTML standard.
Best wishes.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2013-03-28 at 11:35. Reason: http://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/googles-updated-webm-license

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
WP8

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
WP8
wat?

Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
@shmerl, herpderp: I really do not like the way you are trying to mock my opinion into trolling and calling me 'TMO dweller'. Please, i ask you to stop it.
I didn't call you any of these - I said I don't understand what you are arguing about. Let's make it simple. To have a truly open codec, you need to:

1. have a codec (coder/decoder) algorithm.
2. have an open source implementation of this codec.
3. have no known patents on this codec which are preventing you from using it royalty free.

VP8 has all these 3 conditions. H.264 lacks condition 3. Is it clearer now? Mentioning "advertisements" is completely irrelevant here.
Cheerful smile... I get that VP8 is under a free license, and the patents are royalty-free, but I still would have preferred to have no patents at all (similarly to Dirac), and a license-as-open-as-possible. Both VP8 and Theora are derived from VP3; why is Theora not considered a worthy choice?
Only codecs developed from the ground up by free software groups like Xiph are completely patents free. Codecs which were closed and opened later like Theora (VP3) and VP8 have patents which were assigned to them originally, but which were "liberated" as open - i.e. granted royalty free usage. It's as if they don't exist for you for all practical purposes. Who told you that Dirac has no patents attached to it? It has them, and they are royalty free as in VP8 case:

As a defensive measure the BBC has applied for patent protection for some techniques that are, or may be, used within Dirac. Our purpose in doing so is to provide protection for Dirac from spurious patent suits by other parties. Under the terms of the MPL we have licensed these patents irrevocably and royalty free for use within the Dirac software. Our aim is to increase the likelihood that Dirac succeeds, and is used.
http://dirac.sourceforge.net/licences.html

Theora is not considered because it's not on par in quality.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-03-28 at 19:35.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Yes, it is such a kind move to not sue those developers who provide (for free) open-source implementations of the patents. Wouldn't it be even kinder to abolish these patents altogether? Like, release these technologies and file formats into public domain.
Google may be kind, but Google is aiming to dominate the world.
Best wishes.

Yes, it is such a kind move to not sue those developers who provide (for free) open-source implementations of the patents. Wouldn't it be even kinder to abolish these patents altogether? Like, release these technologies and file formats into public domain.
Google may be kind, but Google is aiming to dominate the world.
Best wishes.
At least they don't go about suing their competitors (either directly or through proxy companies) like MS and Nokia does (and of course Apple).

Also, patents are like weapons for these big companies. If Google would abolish their patents they would be a great target for the other big tech companies.

Holding patents has become sort of like the countries holding nukes - the big players have them, and they use them to keep each other in check.

Last edited by herpderp; 2013-03-29 at 10:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:

Tags
codecs war, google, google bad, nokia, nokia good