Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Just to give justice - OP never mentioned damaged USB ports, he just wrote, that *car charger* was smoking.
---

Are your usb ports working? It's quite crucial information.
you should know in thease cases both parties are affected i.e the charger and the device and please dont tell me to explain as i cant

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
And how in the name of Zarquon do you suggest doing that with a fried USB port?
Would it be feasible to?
Recharge the battery in an external charger;
And perform equivalent of flashing via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, probably with PC Suite's assistance?
Best wishes.

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
my knowledge is very crude indeed it can be simply done by fbus cable using the many suitable boxes
or soldering thin wires for a serial port
and many a times seemingly hw problems are just cured by reflash
alternatevly he can use a multimeter to check the fault and replace the component or rather remove it and make a jumper insted the charging components that usually get fried can be found from diffrent boards easily and most of them can be removed and a jumper can be placed reheating the charging ic and retru are also an option if one is unable to reball them :] detaching and replacing the usb post also does the trick sometimes as theres no clear way to check if the port got fried
OTOH, this is bunch of nonsense. There is no way of reflashing N900 via "box" or serial connection, and repairing broken chairging circuity is close to impossible, without *really* adequate tools (first, to determine what exactly got broken, and then, to replace it, due to extremaly small size).

And idea about "reheating ic if unable to do re-balling" reminds me of this guy, who wanted to fix gsm chip by heating it via normal soldering iron.

/Estel

// Edit

Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
equivalent of flashing via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, probably with PC Suite's assistance?
Best wishes.
:shocked: ? da what? Could you explain how it is done? Either I'm missing something epic, or you went a little ahead of yourself this time
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-06-14 at 13:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
@estel twmorrow morning i ll show you how to do it in meantime tell me how ho upload pictures so that i can show them

your comment seems inapporiate to me as i dont know what you mean by it cant be done or impossible??
Its rather simple i ll be delighted to show you
and on the other hand i dont get a thing when you guys start taking about diff values strings and all that

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
mate you can't flash via wi-fi or bluetooth , the phone needs to be in flashing mode(----Nokia----Usb-----Rom-----diiiinggggg----wake-up------)
An advice for you : remove your bios chip(pc , assuming you have a removable one and single one) and try to install an operating system , see if it's booting
CSSU-T latest version

Last edited by Alecsandru; 2013-06-14 at 14:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alecsandru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Would it be feasible to?
Recharge the battery in an external charger;
And perform equivalent of flashing via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth, probably with PC Suite's assistance?
Best wishes.
:shocked: ? da what? Could you explain how it is done? Either I'm missing something epic, or you went a little ahead of yourself this time
Hmm. I read Wikiwide's post as a question to the forum. "Can this be done?"

I personally would be delighted if that were possible but the mere word "flashing" to me suggests that only the bootloader is running, nothing else. WiFi, BT, etc require a fully booted device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Hmm. I read Wikiwide's post as a question to the forum. "Can this be done?"

I personally would be delighted if that were possible but the mere word "flashing" to me suggests that only the bootloader is running, nothing else. WiFi, BT, etc require a fully booted device.
Yes, why is it possible for bootloader to interact with PC Suite through USB and not through Bluetooth? If it is software limitation of bootloader loading limited set of drivers, it could be overcome. If it is hardware limitation - bluetooth being on a different chip, something like that - then flashing through Bluetooth remains a dream for future devices.
I understand that if flashing through Bluetooth was indeed possible, it would have been a ready vulnerability - while flashing through USB is much more difficult to conceal from the user of the phone during an attack.
Thank you, for the joy reading your posts has given me. I have suggested it as a theoretical question - as in, why not? Such as, it could have been possible to connect N900 to PC through infrared, if the infrared transmitter was replaced with transceiver, and ask the PC Suite to connect to N900 through infrared port.
Best wishes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Kernel can be flashed in any state, even from device itself and file in, lets say, MyDocs.

OTOH, full FIASCO flash is nuking rootfs, so it's quite hard to do, if you're already using that too-be-nuked-rootfs . VANILLA EMMC is even more extreme, as it nukes eMMC part. table.

Restoring backup by any recent backupmenu (or via terminal, using recovery shell, for example) is "kinda" like flash, as you're nuking content of rootfs and replacing it by backup, and/or mkfs'ing /dev/mmcblk0p2, before restoring it content from tar, too.

Alternatively, using u-boot, one can run things like RescueOS from microSD card, and perform same operations (restoring backups, with nuking beforehand).
---

Thats all, when it comes to "flashing" without external components, you won't get more possibilities, due to logical limitations (can't use rootfs components to flash rootfs, etc). Note, that "flashing" (when we leave kernel alone) is nothing else than restoring pre-defined backup, via different means. Of course, it doesn't apply to cold flashing, when we're really restoring NOLO (aka our "bios").

Summing it up, if one uses u-boot properly, she/he should be able to never ever touch flasher via USB, no matter what. Unless u-boot itself gets borked, but by flashing u-boot *only* as kernel - without kernel attached - you don't need to over-flash it everytime new kernel gets released, only on u-boot releases (which is extremely rare, nowadays). Thus, risk of screwing something is decreased.

I used this concept to make device used by my son (with irrepairably broken USB interface) fail-proof, as otherwise, it would get brick-dead in need of reflash. Now, it's kinda "immortal".

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-06-15 at 14:50.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I believe you (Estel) and Wikiwide are talking about different scenarios. You are talking about flashing from a fully booted device, which I agree is a challenge, although perhaps not completely insurmountable for someone very determined, while Wikiwide is talking about integrating the BT stack in the bootloader or NOLO or whatever to allow flashing via BT. At first I thought, nah, can't be done, but Wikiwide is right, it has the USB stack integrated to allow flash via USB, so what is the big difference? WiFi might be more challenging but BT should be doable.

EDIT: Incidentally, in this scenario, the security hole as Wikiwide mentioned may not be that severe. You would still need to power cycle the device to start the flashing process, only instead of plugging in the USB cable and pressing U you would need to press B.

Last edited by pichlo; 2013-06-15 at 06:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
while Wikiwide is talking about integrating the BT stack in the bootloader or NOLO or whatever to allow flashing via BT. At first I thought, nah, can't be done, but Wikiwide is right, it has the USB stack integrated to allow flash via USB, so what is the big difference? WiFi might be more challenging but BT should be doable.
Our NOLO is closed, and we can't get rid of it completely (replacing by U-boot, for example), due to it being signed cryptographically, and our hardware checks for that signing hashes. Maybe it will change in (far) future, but for now, cracking signing keys is impossible for us. That's why we load u-boot from NOLO - and belive me, everyone would be happy to trash NOLO all-together.

As for cold-flashing, we're running temporary NOLO in ram (from flasher) - but, same signing keys thingie happen, so we can't force it to use something else.

For this reasons, implementing anything in NOLO (that isn't implemented right now) seems impossible.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Tags
nokia n900