Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I bought the Nokia 770 because I needed something handheld that could access the Internet that had Linux. Walked into CompUSA, tested it, could ping/trace/connect to a wireless network. Fell in love... three days later, Woot.com had it for cheap. Bought one, learned how to add more libraries, et al.

Nokia N800 was announced and I didn't like the plastic look/feel, so I skipped it (later got one in a trade, quickly traded it away). The moment the N810 was announced, jumped into the queue and bought it on the day it was released. Again, learned how to optimize it, make it run a bit leaner and started to do pen-testing with it.

The N900 came because of the folks here loving it - and I needed something to accompany me on a trip to Pittsburgh for a big project. I needed SSH and other Linux server admin tools from afar whilst doing a major creative project. Needless to say, the N900 did a great job, the GPS wouldn't lock for crap though, but it excelled while I was there. I came back to South Carolina, couldn't get a damn 3G signal to save my life. Had to switch back to AT&T - T-Mobile had crappy service then (and now).

The N9 came about because I was curious; well, my completist OCD had kicked in as well. So I found a way for myself and a few others in the US to get some of them. Kept that as my unlocked phone of international travels and some Qt development.

Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Before I ever used Maemo or a Nokia N-serie device I was googleing for a free automated mobile voicecall recorder app and after many hours searching I found one at a Maemo downloads page.
I never liked the design of the N900 so I decided to read more about the hardware specs. and operating system. A Debian base operating system HWKB, and multitask convinced me to buy my first N900.
After a year of usage I had to buy a second one because the device got bricked at way it could not be fixed within 48 hours by Jelly_Roll at the time.
Nowdays I own two N900 devices one for testing and another as a main device.
I use easy-debian, frcron,ssh and usb-hostmode on a daly base.
I don't pentest I use a birds feather.

I saw one in a store, I liked its style so much. two days later, I went back to buy it but unfortunately it was sold. I spent the money on upgrading my PC. next year, I started to research about it. everyone disliked my decision because N900 was released 4 years ago, and the OS was not 'popular'. but I finally found a used one in the Mobile Center of the city. I am really satisfied and i love it so goddamn much! and it keeps amazing me more and more everyday with its new possibilities! I enjoy using it more than any device.. or OS. y'know... Android is almost everywhere now(it's like: you'll see chinese whores running android!), iOS is sooo strict and locked, Windows Phones is locked and sucks (and its design requires some power to get in the ***), Holy MeeGo: the father of Sailfish: the son of Maemo is slowly dying, but Maemo is still cool and awesome. I always wanted to start developing for this os, but something always gets wrong and.. Fail.. and Fail again. (curse you, Qt Creator!)

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Cortex View Post
Android is almost everywhere now(it's like: you'll see chinese whores running android!)
Where can I see that??

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
First smartphone was a Treo 680, which I used concurrently with a Palm T|X - I'd been attached to the PalmOS platform since my teenage years when I got a hand-me-down Pilot 5000 for my birthday. Was VERY worried about the future of the platform at that point (for good reason, as it turned out), and so when I saw in a news story that there was a Garnet (PalmOS 5) emulator available for these Internet Tablet things, it caught my attention very quickly.

I ended up swapping out the T|X for a N810 with that emulator installed (I went with the N810 because I wanted the sliding keyboard, and a GPS as well while I was at it). It was a bit rough, but I managed to do okay with a few bumps here and there. Had to do a *lot* of custom work, though, and I was never quite happy with the result. It helped a lot, though, that it was based on a Debian-ish infrastructure, as I'd been running Debian on all servers I was responsible for (and as a desktop OS, for a while!) for several years.

Then the N900 came along, and I rushed to ensure that I would no longer need to carry along chargers for and keep track of the battery level for two devices. It turned out to be better than I could have dreamed - half to two-thirds of the stuff I'd hacked into or wanted to hack into the N810's UI were already present in the N900, and the rest was extremely easy to add. My sole complaint was (and continues to be) the kickstand; the N810's was SO much better... but oh well.

I've stuck by my N900 for about three and a half years now and I'm not about to leave it.

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Well 3 years ago i had a pc but i always wanted a laptop for portability and easy computing. I was a student. I had like 5Gs in my pocket. Pretty dissappointed an idea came to my mind "y look for a laptop when i can get a 2nd hand smartfone ". That time nokia n97 was very popular, i saw the specs n i was ready to buy that junk. I searched many places but market was flooded with mini model so i dropped my plan. Then i started googling about mobile computers n what i saw took my breath away. It was nokia n900 in the image section n wow i was amazed. Had never seen a device like that before n the great thing was the specs but when i saw the price damn i was 17Gs short. The next thing i did was going to d market asking for nokia n900. But no one ever had saw or heard about nokia n900, even second hand werent available. I was pis*ed off man , i wanted to die, not literally. I used to look at the pics of n900 and read the user opinions n 8 months passed away. Then 1 day i figured out that maemo was abondoned and for the first time i saw the demonic face of sir flop. Even that didnt stop me , i was desperate to get my hands on this beast.
Luckily my birthday was coming but this was no ordinary birthday people, my parents gave me the money to buy brand new Nokia n900. But where to buy?
Finally thanx to ebay for that and still it wasnt easy for me to order becoz there was no cod(cash on delivery). Here in India especially where i am from its a rural place , people dont buy stuff online.
I got it for 14Gs and it got delivered exactly on my birthday.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
@hardy where do you live ,, and what god damm connection you use to operate damm browsers

谢谢楼主的美文。我很享受。

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by hardy_magnus View Post
hey bot, Im from udhampur (J&K) India and use 2G airtel plan.
from j$k me from wb and i also use airtel 2g its the best connection i can get 20 to 30 kbps stable a dream for many Btw what i wanted to know was what browser do you use normally and what other for specific tasks

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Wb wow . If u live in India and get that much speed on 2G plans then u are a one lucky man. On the other hand using 3G plans in India are not that cheap and they still dont provide speedy tranfers. And the browser thing, currently i am using a series40 phone (Asha 210) so i am left with only one option opera mini. It is a good browser actually. Fone does have the nokia browser but it goes out of memory every now and then and there is uc browser but many websites doesnot support this browser.
Back in the day I was used to nokia n900s stock browser but i was bored of nokia n900.