Posts: 79 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2012 @ kenya
ok thanks alot guys..the ext 4 format only works on linux,is there a way it can be formatted to work on windows as wel..

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Austria/Germany
NTFS would be your choice but i don't know(strongly doubt) that harmattan can read and write to NTFS

Last edited by mcbook; 2013-08-27 at 14:12.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 318 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by kibet85 View Post
ok thanks alot guys..the ext 4 format only works on linux,is there a way it can be formatted to work on windows as wel..
I would consider sftp access for "user" described here...

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...86&postcount=5

.. and then access your phone with 'filezilla' or this one...

http://www.swish-sftp.org/

Looks rather sexy, doesn't it?

I enabled sftp 'phone access' and can sync my music over wifi with the file manager under Linux , while leaving the phone in 'phone mode'. That 'swish-sftp' application should give you a similar experience with Windows, I guess.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by minimec View Post
I enabled sftp 'phone access' and can sync my music over wifi with the file manager under Linux , while leaving the phone in 'phone mode'. That 'swish-sftp' application should give you a similar experience with Windows, I guess.
I, on the other hand, use cron and rsync to automatically transfer my stuff to and from the device
Works both over 3G and WLAN, no hassles there...

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 318 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I, on the other hand, use cron and rsync to automatically transfer my stuff to and from the device
Well, so do I. The difference is that I mount the volume manually and rsync the local '.gvfs/N9/*something*/Music' folder. So no cron... true...

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by kibet85 View Post
Yeah, by installing Linux I've been a Windows user up until this year, but Windows 8 convinced me Microsoft have lost their marbles.

If you insist on using windows. you can try installing an Ext file system driver on Windows like http://www.ext2fsd.com/ (there are others tho. And AFAIK Ext2 is upward compatible with Ext3 and 4) or less convenient, use something like http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/

Since I'm not using Windows, I can't comment on the quality of those tools.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I'm using Unison, which has 2-way sync. There is a port for the N9 available, from RZR or OpenRepos I guess. It also has a Windows build.

edit

"ext3 is partially forward compatible with ext4. That is, ext4 can be mounted as ext3 (using "ext3" as the filesystem type when mounting). However if the ext4 partition uses extents (a major new feature of ext4), then the ability to mount as ext3 is lost."

Well, you could always format the partition as ext3 instead of ext4. I guess the performance drop would be negligible on the N9.

Last edited by Fuzzillogic; 2013-08-27 at 17:05.

There is also an NFS server called unfs3 in the repo.pub.meego.com repo. Windows has NFS client in latest versions.

Posts: 446 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Austria/Germany
Is there also a samba Server
Would be so much easier...

Originally Posted by mcbook View Post
Is there also a samba Server
Would be so much easier...
Not sure.

Now that I think about it. It may be possible to use dd'd image files and create an LVM LV and then create a truecrypt image over top of that and then format that with NTFS.

Encryption and large files and windows support and no partitioning and no networking.

It's an idea...

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
There's one idea I have been thinking about but not yet gone on experimenting stage;

Problem: When a partition is exported via USB as a "mass memory storage device" it is not possible to have it mounted on the system at the same time.
Actually, it is possible to do so, but it will lead to data corruption and system instability;
Once I experimented with that kind of setup, and it worked for a while. I was able to access the same partition from the device and via USB-mount at the same time. I tried copying a bunch of files, but then when I deleted stuff from the device, next access from my PC crashed it.
This behaviour is problematic, it leads to complexities like the usbmoded daemon that needs to mount/umount/export the partitions, and some applications cannot be used while partition is exported etc...

Solution: Network file systems get around this fine. Easy thing would be just to run NFS or SAMBA on the device and mount the volume over USB ethernet.
On Linux this works fine, on Windows I guess not as it needs black magic to make the USB work as network device.
So, would it be possible to create such a mount that from inside the device it looks like a network mount and from outside like an USB exported memory device? Somehow mount a VFS layer thru the USB memory interface?
Any ideas, how difficult would that be to implement?

Benefits: Now the partitions could be kept mounted while exporting, without ill effects to the device. All parttions could easily be exported, not just MyDocs.