Active Topics

Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Jolla did stay away from communities, or at least this one. Maemo.org admin bent over backwards in an attempt to persuade Jolla to make maemo.org its official home, but Jolla were not interested. This is not surprising, since we are not really Jolla's intended customers.
Um... back then it stirred quite mixed reception when some wanted to keep this Maemo-only community-driven place with no strings attached to any company whatsoever. Some welcomed them but by all means, not all. Also, no company will make forum they cannot legally and otherwise control in any way their official site. However, they still were present here. Let's not twist the past into something that it was not just to make ourselves feel better or to some more wretched end.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Was there ever any evidence that the tablet was someone else's design? It's the same style as the phone. It always seemed more likely to me that they'd sold the design to someone in China to sell there, as a nifty way of getting some more money in to fund the thing.
Is it the same Style? I've got both at home (lucky me) and they look "completely" different.

The Following User Says Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
I cannot understand why we have to blame Jolla for mistakes, everybody knew from the very beginning their task was very difficult and in practice it was proved even more difficult. We supported Jolla by buying the phone and the tablet, and some of us contributed too.

There is a big problem with all those talented developers leaving the company, it is really sad.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
I cannot understand why we have to blame Jolla for mistakes, everybody knew from the very beginning their task was very difficult and in practice it was proved even more difficult. We supported Jolla by buying the phone and the tablet, and some of us contributed too.

There is a big problem with all those talented developers leaving the company, it is really sad.
Yes, I don't think many blame them for trying to do their thing, first succeeding with a phone and then failing with a tablet. But why could Jolla be honest toward us? Don't you think we diserved that? Even now we have no clue but speculation.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-11-23 at 18:14.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Was there ever any evidence that the tablet was someone else's design?
Sure. Have a look for the Aigo x86 tablet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
Um... back then it stirred quite mixed reception when some wanted to keep this Maemo-only community-driven place with no strings attached to any company whatsoever. Some welcomed them but by all means, not all. Also, no company will make forum they cannot legally and otherwise control in any way their official site. However, they still were present here. Let's not twist the past into something that it was not just to make ourselves feel better or to some more wretched end.
You are scapegoating again, and also trying to claim that I am guilty of schadenfraude and have some agenda against Jolla, which is wrong. I am indifferent towards Jolla as a company, as I am indifferent to all for-profit enterprises. I have never suffered from the delusion that any business is my friend. I own several Nokia devices, and write software almost exclusively for those devices, but that does not mean I have ever felt any loyalty towards Nokia. I only do what I do because I enjoy it. I don't give a flying V for Nokia.

The only Jolla presence here has been a few employees posting infrequently in a personal capacity. Nothing that has been said here has had any effect on Jolla's sucess or failure. I doubt if any investors are even aware of this place.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
From the comments.Well it does not say who designed it but:

https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-tablet-operations/

For your other question: it’s quite common nowadays for smaller device vendors operating in different markets to share some aspect of the product details, such as hardware design elements, to balance costs. This is what happened here too. Aigo is sold in mainland China, where the Jolla Tablet is not available, and thus certain elements have been shared.

As already stated here, Jolla Tablet is a lot different from a HW point of view. It has a significantly better fully laminated display, different USB connectors and censors. Also the color and material definitions are completely different, even though they might look the same. Just to mention a few things.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MisterMaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
seriously OT, but i feel to do it:

Everyone here talking about opensource and really open project with TMO as important reference point...but on the other side, so much little interest about NEMO mobile thread. I really would like to know why you act in this way, please reply to me in that thread since i am feeling mind-fractured. just cant afford why call for a homemade cake and then no one is interested to contribute in his way in the process of cooking it.
This community is not homogeneous. People have various interests, and the makeup of this community has changed over time due to certain devices/platforms being discontinued and new devices/platforms arriving.

Generally, if people choose not to contribute to something it's probably because:
  1. They don't have the time.
  2. They would rather spend their time doing something else.

1. is often the consequence of 2. Personally, I would rather spend time maintaining my own projects than contributing to NEMO. Also, I don't have much interest in the future of mobile, because it is clearly heading away from the idea that brought me to this community in the first place: the pocket computer. I have no interest in smartphones or tablets (as in the fondleslab tablets).

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Is somehow possible that the Aigo x86 tablet is a copy of the design of the Jolla Tablet?

The Jolla tablet somehow follows the curved design of the phone...

Maybe once they saw Jolla's design, Aigo made an alternate version which is not that "sophisticated" regarding the used components.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lupastro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
>has a significantly better fully laminated display

Sure - but that was one of the reasons for the delay. Jolla decided that they didn't like the original included display. It isn't that they designed in that 'significantly better fully laminated display' at the outset.

And different USB connectors? Oh, please that's hardly a design difference either.

Color and material definitions? Again, not a significant design difference.

The question was whether there was any evidence that the tablet was someone else's design. I'd say the evidence is pretty damning. Jolla themselves admit to at least sharing the design. And even so I suspect they were being economical with the truth.

And let's look at the practicalities. It would be much quicker and cheaper for Jolla to start with a reference design and modify it a bit than to design a tablet from scratch. Given their financing and primary focus on the OS, what do you think they would have done?

Last edited by strongm; 2015-11-23 at 18:41.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post: