I admittedly skipped a lot of posts, but did read the majority of them.

That being said....

Stop the whining, of course Maemo 5 isn't going to be 'upgradeable' to MeeGo. That's like trying to apt-get upgrade a Debian box to Fedora.

Literally... .deb based distribution to a .rpm distribution.

That's not to say you wouldn't be able to flat out install MeeGo on the N900 through a flash. It's just like any other piece of hardware that lets you flash the 'boot image'. A good example are the QNAP NASs. You can flash Debian on them and make them into a full on server.

The fact that Symbian, MeeGo, Maemo are all using QT4.6 just means all that will be required to use one program from one to another is PACKAGING.

It's the same thing across Linux distributions. Whether someone uses alien to convert the package from .rpm to .deb or .deb to .rpm, it's all the same.

This eliminates all worries except of course bug fixes to closed source software.

Also as I've been trying to keep up with all this crap, let's try to clarify this....

Harmattan has been worked on enough at Nokia that they aren't just going to drop it entirely. Developers inside Nokia has said as such (Can't recall where I read that, but it was enough that they said they were still planning some sort of release). Now, they also say that Harmattan is the the first stepping stone to MeeGo.

Let's talk about MeeGo for a moment....

MeeGo is RPM based, QT4.6 based, and using OBS... well really is there any other major thing?

Now Harmattan is what was to be Maemo 6. If they have already worked on it enough that they have a DEBIAN base, QT4.6 and the new UI... Does that not mean that it IS already what MeeGo is going to be, but without the switch to RPM?

Also, if Harmattan is NOT going to come out for the N900 at all... Then what is the point of them continuing developing it? 'cause by the time the next devices are out, they will be 100% MeeGo (read that as RPM based).

Harmattan being Debian based, COULD be a dist-upgrade away. It would be like going from Lenny to Squeeze, or if you're an Ubuntu fan, Karmic Koala to Lucid Lynx.

I don't know what sort of hell upgrading MeeGo 1.0 to 2.0 (or 1.1 or whatever) would be since upgrading RPM based distros has always been like diarrhea where you squeeze your buttocks together and hope you don't crap your pants, as your OS takes a dump.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts on it. I say grab some popcorn, chill out and let's see what comes to us. Whining about it isn't going to do much, instead learn how to develop your own apps, and then you can change your phone to do whatever you wish, that's what I want to do! Then it really doesn't matter if Nokia even went so far as going bankrupt (not that I see that ever happening)

Of course I'm probably wasting my time with this, since most people will just pick what words I've put here, misinterpret them and freak out more, because that's the sort of people they are. Oh well, in either case, party on.

I love my N900!

slaapliedje

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Nice, thank you for your 2cents, possibly a little heavy on aggression, but thank you anyway.

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
I admittedly skipped a lot of posts, but did read the majority of them.

That being said....

Stop the whining, of course Maemo 5 isn't going to be 'upgradeable' to MeeGo. That's like trying to apt-get upgrade a Debian box to Fedora.

Literally... .deb based distribution to a .rpm distribution.

You should have stopped here. You are wrong.

Meego (code name Harmattan) will use .deb packages. At least that's the word from qgil.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by felbutss View Post
lol apple do things the right way. clear simple and everyone gets support. obviously the iphone is not for me but i want the support it has. this is going to be bad for resale vaule, so if your going to sell, sell now!

i still see people here in australia with old 2g iphones with new firmware. easy. btw i will still buy nokia, no dout about that and i will keep the n900. love this baby
What has been added since the first iPhones, camera, copy/paste, MMS, faster processors (3GS). Not hard to support older phones with that upgrade track record.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Matan View Post

Meego (code name Harmattan) will use .deb packages. At least that's the word from qgil.
MeeGo will use RPM.

Originally Posted by Freemantle View Post
I get a little confused.

Same with earlier in this thread, two posts one saying Yes - re-compile, and the other saying No.
Well, the binaries in fact might be runnable without re-compilation. It really doesn't matter at all from compatibility point of view whether a re-compilation is needed or not as long as both platforms offer the same API, which in case of Maemo and MeeGo is the Qt API.

But for distributing the apps need to be repacked (MeeGo .rpm <-> Maemo 5 .deb) But again this does not matter for an average user installing the applications, the steps necessary are already taken by somebody else when the app is installable in the repo (the application developer, Nokia, community, ...).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJPecu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!

did you read further?

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Now Harmattan is what was to be Maemo 6. If they have already worked on it enough that they have a DEBIAN base, QT4.6 and the new UI... Does that not mean that it IS already what MeeGo is going to be, but without the switch to RPM?

Also, if Harmattan is NOT going to come out for the N900 at all... Then what is the point of them continuing developing it? 'cause by the time the next devices are out, they will be 100% MeeGo (read that as RPM based).

Harmattan being Debian based, COULD be a dist-upgrade away. It would be like going from Lenny to Squeeze, or if you're an Ubuntu fan, Karmic Koala to Lucid Lynx.
but meego is not fedora based!
it's using the .rpm packaging system (after harmattan) but it's not based on fedora.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
MeeGo will use RPM.
You are wrong again. The Meego that will be on the next Nokia device will use .deb packages. This is the Meego that is the subject of discussion, the one that is codenamed Harmattan. Not some version of Moblin on X86 processors. See here, if you are interested in facts: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=14

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
his is the Meego that is the subject of discussion, the one that is codenamed Harmattan.
from the post you linked:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
- For those caring about the platform in depth, Harmattan =! MeeGo.
meego WILL use rpm, harmattan won't.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
Harmattan will be called Meego. The Meego that is under discussion in this thread is the Meego that used to be called Harmattan.

Tags
fud, troll!, troll76