Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I can't seem to chroot into the Alpha Maemo 5 SDK rootfs, as provided by Nokia, from the tablet. I just get a "Invalid Instruction" when I try.

I didn't pursue that idea any further because I assumed that binaries compiled for OMAP3 must not be compatible with the OMAP2 chipset. Was I wrong? Is the problem the way I tried to get the rootfs? Should I try the instructions given for building a rootfs for the Maemo on Beagleboard project?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
There was no new relase since December 2007 and nothing on their forums and bugtrackers suggesting the Maemo port is alive. It seems they had a deal with nokia to provide skype for the N810 and that they did, and not an inch more. They did not manage even say a 'sorry' or 'working on it' for the appaling lack of features (and the faulty ones). So, no messages while talking, no DTMF tones, no file transfer, no video, no cpu idle when idling, and the list goes on... After such a track record, optimizations for a new processor would be nothing short of a miracle (for me).
But they did with the OS2007 version of Skype.

Well, it looks from here like Skype-for-N8x0 is dead and abandoned, but there have been some noises about Skype working on a generic client for ARM netbooks. It's possible that such a project is underway, and that it would be able to run on the RX-51, and probably the N8x0 as well.

I really have a hard time seeing Skype let the RX-51 go without Skype, though; with HSPA data connectivity, but no voice service, it's the ultimate VOIPphone to date, and if Skype is available like on the N8x0, they automatically pick up most of that business. If it ships with no Skype client available, I think a lot of folks will take the plunge to find a SIP providers and use SIP + Google Voice, and many of them will find it better and leave Skype forever. I just hope this means a decent and flexible ARM Skype client, not a lame repackaging of the existing binaries.

(Speaking of Google Voice, it's good to finally see some progress -- I've been signed up for ages to be notified as soon as GrandCentral opens back up.)

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I just hope this means a decent and flexible ARM Skype client, not a lame repackaging of the existing binaries.
Are you sure about the ARM port ? They seem to be concentrating MID efforts on Intel. And even there, they go as far as to openly say the MID version will not have PulseAudio support as it is 'not required' by the MID devices. VOIP applications on a RX51 are a natural fit for Skype but their commitment to Linux is flaky at best even on the desktop (seriously, will we ever see 64 bit packages ?). Me, I expect a too little too late approach on ARM netbooks, and then if they *do* come through it will be a pleasant surprise.

Are you sure about the ARM port ? They seem to be concentrating MID efforts on Intel. And even there, they go as far as to openly say the MID version will not have PulseAudio support as it is 'not required' by the MID devices. VOIP applications on a RX51 are a natural fit for Skype but their commitment to Linux is flaky at best even on the desktop (seriously, will we ever see 64 bit packages ?). Me, I expect a too little too late approach on ARM netbooks, and then if they *do* come through it will be a pleasant surprise.
No, I'm not sure -- "heard noises about" is all. The MID (Intel branding for N8x0-like devices) port is a definite reality, and definitely x86 only.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
...And even there, they go as far as to openly say the MID version will not have PulseAudio support as it is 'not required' by the MID devices...
I would love to see your source for that. Because if they aren't supporting PulseAudio, that suggests they aren't going to be making a version for Maemo 5... Unless they do some hack using PulseAudio's compatibility mode...

...that's pretty disappointing news.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
If there's no Skype on the new NIT hardware, no new NIT for me; or else I buy the new NIT and find a different VOIP, and Skype can kiss my *** goodbye.

BTW, I've tried Sype-through-Fring on my girlfriend's iPod Touch, and it just hangs.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Skype and Nokia today announced a partnership that will bring the world's leading Internet communications experience to the Nokia range of mobile computers. Under the terms of the cooperation, Skype(TM) will be integrated into Nokia devices, starting with Nokia Nseries. The Nokia N97 flagship device will be the first to incorporate the Skype experience in the 3rd quarter of 2009.
nobody says maemo here, but if you look at the wording ("range of mobile computers"), it's not completely unlikely that the next maemo device is covered by the same deal. if not, there could have been a similar deal before. skype will not refuse to write a specific client if they get payed for it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i would love to see someone lean on skype to get some kind of generic access going. as it stands, they are the microsoft of voip...

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
nobody says maemo here, but if you look at the wording ("range of mobile computers"), it's not completely unlikely that the next maemo device is covered by the same deal. if not, there could have been a similar deal before. skype will not refuse to write a specific client if they get payed for it.
thats a good quote to dig up.
but looking at the dates, we may not see skype until the 3rd quarter of 2009...