Posts: 96 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denver, CO -> Italy
I f a bumper or a case solve the problem is really good...

now, I don't use bumpers or covers, so what?

as i said before..in less that 1 year they will release the 4g anyway and this issue will be solved.

same thing for the ipad...new ipad with a bigger resolution...and is going to be "the best ipad ever...yet"

Don't you get it? All of you who are having problems are holding it incorrectly. This is the right way to hold the phone, damn it!!

Notice the glove as well? That is called taking double precaution. Let Lord Jobs....er, I mean Lord Vader, guide you down the right path.

Last edited by arbitrabbit; 2010-06-26 at 00:35.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to arbitrabbit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
There has been a lot of talks about the antenna and what happens if you touch it, but it is not always that you have to touch it to cause weakening of RF signal. Just having something (finger) in very close proximity will also affect the antenna and its tuning.

Human flesh/finger is somewhat electrically conductive and does change the antenna tuning when placed in close proximity to the antenna. Depending on the exact spot in the antenna it can either amplify (yes... possible...) or weaken (most cases) the received signal. Even if the antenna was completely covered with a thin insulating coating, the capacitive connection between antenna and finger will change the antenna tuning with these frequencies. Phones with internal antenna you can pretty easily guarantee at least ~2mm physical distance and minimize the proximity effect, but with this new iPhone antenna that is at the surface only a "thick bumber" will accomplish what other "normal" phones do have by nature.

In new iPhone pictures we have seen the small gap between the two different antennas. Shorting that point with a finger seem to have the most effect on signal strenght. Effectively placing finger over that spot either do add length to the physical antenna and detune it to wrong frequency, or ground the end... in either case the antenna gain will degrade significantly.

If a finger was placed over the gap with a thin insulator between the RF signal still "leaks" to the finger and to the other antenna due to capacitive connection. (Think about how the capacitive touchscreen works...) While this is not as bad as direct contact it is still significant.

I'm still amazed how they let this kind of antenna design pass through into final product? They were either clueless, or did know something that no other RF design houses know. (If so, they must have filed a patent already?)

Just my 2cents... I'm not RF design engineer but do work closely with designers that deal with this kind of stuff. Sometimes it is pure magic what a seemingly small physical change (board layout or component placement) does. At all cost you would like to avoid any other variables (finger) to get into the mix and basically undo all the tweaking you have spent weeks doing the fine tuning...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by ericj23 View Post
Interesting. I have lots of well to do friends, some of whom have iphones. I work with lots of people who could buy the thing. Not one person has an ipad. In Scotland in an apple store 3 days after launch there was lots of people trying the ipad. But the sign saying queue here for ipads had no takers. The poor girl assigned to watch over this looked really bored.

Speaking to people about ipad has yielded things like "it is a big iphone" "it costs more than my laptop and doesn't run word" and my personal fave "it doesnt have a camera (acts surprised) what is the point of the ipad"

the only apple junkies i know "might get one for xmas" but wonder when they would use it rather than their iphones or macbooks. And that is the response most people have had. Only apple think their is room between laptops and smartphones and I genuinely will be surprised if ipad is not another appletv within 2 or 3 years.

YMMV
Yep, those are the common questions asked by people who've read about/seen the ipad but not tried them out first hand Watch how they sing a different tune once they've spent sometime with one though.

Jobs is right about the niche; it's probably been there even before the "desktop vs notebook" debate. Slate form factor 'e-papers' have been in scifi writings for ages. MS has tried to exploit (er, fill) it for years but they were not successful due to UI (pen only + desktop OS), cost (more than high end notebooks), form factor (too heavy). Heck, this whole community is a testament of the demand for slate tablet form factor (albeit slightly smaller and with a much different technical requirement and core ideologies).

Btw, I wouldn't want to wave mine around to take pictures either; it IS a giant iphone/ipod touch and it'd be visually silly to wave one around to take pictures with; BUT I wouldn't mind a high res camera or scanner on it to grab documents with.
Still, I'm sure they'll release the next iteration with front & back camera just to support their FaceTime videochat, maybe as early as this xmas.

I've no question that finger-friendly slate devices are here to stay; The iPad has shown what it takes to make it successful (cost, size:weight, ui) but I'm also sure that at some point in the future the Android based tablets will exceed the iPad due to their business model.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Hopefully a software fix is on the way...

http://feeds.appleinsider.com/click....c3ba9ec926c76b

Readers report that Apple's tech support forums originally confirmed that a iOS 4.0.1 software fix addressing the issue would ship early next week (as early as Monday), before the comments were subsequently taken down along with all the other related discussion about the matter.

The fix is expected to address a issue in iOS 4 related to radio frequency calibration of the baseband. Readers who saw the original forum discussions say that the issue is believed to occur when switching frequencies; because the lag is allegedly not calibrated correctly, it results in the device reporting "no service" rather than switching to the frequency with the best signal to noise ratio.

iOS 4 introduced some enhancements to how the baseband selects which frequencies to use, so it makes sense that the error may have crept into those changes. Additionally, this explains why iOS 4 has also caused similar problems for iPhone 3GS users.

Additional readers have shared other related experiences that also corroborate the idea that the issue is related to iOS 4's software control of the baseband, including the fact that the issue seems easily reproducible when connecting to a WWAN 3G network but does not appear when connecting to a Microcell 3G. If the problem were simply hardware related issues of the antenna design, it should only affect iPhone 4 units with that new design and should occur at all times, regardless of the tower type. That is not being observed.
indications that its a bug that was introduced with iOS 4....

http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-4.0.1-...ception-issue/

Whatever the case, the antennae issue is a gargantuan PR headache for Cupertino.

Last edited by Hintry; 2010-06-26 at 06:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hintry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Hintry View Post
Hopefully a software fix is on the way...

http://feeds.appleinsider.com/click....c3ba9ec926c76b
...and if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bull crap.

It is not a baseband switching issue based on the video.

That is how the Motorola iDen problem that I posted about earlier was eventually solved. As was said: RF engineering is a black art that still seems to rely sometimes on luck or witchcraft. However, it didn't look any thing like this "wax on... wax off" as shown in the video.

If that post was pulled IMO, it was pulled because it was BS. It also occurred to me that when something is referenced that now isn't there, it may have never been there to begin with.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-06-26 at 07:15.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
I'm pretty sure no one noticed the usb issue on the n900 before it actually came out. Gizmodo also had this new iPhone as well as some random Vietnamese website.
sure, after visual inspection, I have remarked this potential flaw of usb port design as not monkey proof to the sales person. Who couldn t care less. I bought it anyway as there was nothing better., still isn't. Still no broken usb after 6 months of daily usage.

as for the iDrop: this phone is beautiful and demands to be used without iRubber. Cases is are for sissy's!
steel and special Apple pattented unbreakable glass with battle scars is what we want. When local marginal reception conditions make the difference between call and no call possible I would regret having an iDrop for sure!

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
sure, after visual inspection, I have remarked this potential flaw of usb port design as not monkey proof to the sales person. Who couldn t care less. I bought it anyway as there was nothing better., still isn't. Still no broken usb after 6 months of daily usage.

as for the iDrop: this phone is beautiful and demands to be used without iRubber. Cases is are for sissy's!
steel and special Apple pattented unbreakable glass with battle scars is what we want. When local marginal reception conditions make the difference between call and no call possible I would regret having an iDrop for sure!

"iDrop"
"iRubber"

You sound so bitter. Whatever solid points you may have made have been ruined by your pettiness

Originally Posted by arbitrabbit View Post
Don't you get it? All of you who are having problems are holding it incorrectly. This is the right way to hold the phone, damn it!!

Notice the glove as well? That is called taking double precaution. Let Lord Jobs....er, I mean Lord Vader, guide you down the right path.
Lol, it looks like he is using pinch to zoom.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
An industry leader who I greatly respect once told me that it takes five years to build a decent phone.
Let's give Apple that other year and see if they can fix this and the other problems that they have with the iPhone.
It's unreasonable to expect an inexperienced company to deliver to the quality we're used to from the established leaders in mobile phone manufacture.
I do find this one particularly amusing though - especially as the previous iPhones have always been rubbish on network!

Tags
bestthreadever, form > function, h8'ers gon' h8, isheeps, worstthreadever