Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Interesting application. I Installed it and it is working, thought one time it just refused to hear me and I rebooted and fixed the problem.

Would it be difficult to add a calculator functionality? Maybe start question with "calculate" and then speak first number, operator (plus, minus, times, divided by) and second number?

Also in addition to what time is it, sometimes I want to know the date...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by saponga View Post
Ok... Automagically Saera waits for the complete number again but i think it has a problem: althought it tells that "phone numbers have 10 or 11 caracters", it dials only 7 characters numbers... And, no ofense here (i dont know what is the first language of who makes that), but the portuguese translation of the sentences_portuguese.py isn't very good.
Still testing
If a number has only seven characters Saera will dial it anyway, assuming that you've just omitted the area code. I'm thinking of taking this out though. And regarding the translation, as I understand it they aren't meant to be literal translations but rather just what Saera would say in Portuguese. I don't know.

MartinK: Thanks, that's amazing! I've started with being able to ask Saera "where am I", but next up is, of course, asking where food is. Can --local-search-location use the last known location? Also, it's Saera, not Saeri (I don't want to risk Apple's wrath any more than necessary! )

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Interesting application. I Installed it and it is working, thought one time it just refused to hear me and I rebooted and fixed the problem.

Would it be difficult to add a calculator functionality? Maybe start question with "calculate" and then speak first number, operator (plus, minus, times, divided by) and second number?

Also in addition to what time is it, sometimes I want to know the date...
I just encountered that same bug. I think it's related to gstreamer.

Regarding calculator: Thanks for the idea! I don't think "calculate" is necessary, it should be easy enough to recognize "what is sixty-four minus twenty-two".

Date I will also add.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ beijing-islamabad
i dont know if it is obvious or not but for some reason i am having problem with the saera ,it does not speak to me when i speak to her.It only responds when i type anything in the bar.Would any one elaborate please ?
@ taixzo ,would you please make a list of what saera can do right now and what can saera will be able to do ?
thanks in advance

The Following User Says Thank You to imo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
MartinK: Thanks, that's amazing! I've started with being able to ask Saera "where am I", but next up is, of course, asking where food is.
I'm glad you like it.

Can --local-search-location use the last known location?
OK, I've added a special keyword for --local-search-location (LAST_KNOWN_POSITION). If you use this keyword, modRana will use the last known position right away. I have also updated the modRana package in Extras-Devel (V0.32.4) to support it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
The app seems nice but has problems recognizing my commands
"Where am I" results in "Play remind", "What can I", "What are an hi".

The feature I miss too is to be able to spell the contact (e.g. contact is "Mama" - Polish for mom) and it's not recognized properly.

Thx for the development anyway

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
The app seems nice but has problems recognizing my commands
"Where am I" results in "Play remind", "What can I", "What are an hi".

The feature I miss too is to be able to spell the contact (e.g. contact is "Mama" - Polish for mom) and it's not recognized properly.

Thx for the development anyway
I haven't uploaded the newest version yet, so those words aren't in the corpus. As for contact names - I'm still figuring out how it can rebuild the language model with those, but I'll announce when it can.

Originally Posted by imo
i dont know if it is obvious or not but for some reason i am having problem with the saera ,it does not speak to me when i speak to her.It only responds when i type anything in the bar.Would any one elaborate please ?
There seems to be some new bug, and I don't know what caused it, which makes the microphone not always be recognized. Restarting Saera worked for me both times it happened. Everyone: Any idea why gstreamer might fail to pick up mic input?

@ taixzo ,would you please make a list of what saera can do right now and what can saera will be able to do ?
Sure. What Saera can do right now:
  • tell you the time, both where you are and in a few major cities (more will be added)
  • greet you
  • Verify she's working, if you say "testing"
  • Take a picture, if the lens cover is open and the camera app isn't
  • Take a picture of you with the front camera
  • tell you the meaning of life, the universe and everything
  • tell you random facts about the N900
  • call a phone number (buggy)
What I am working on and saera will be able to do in the next day or so:
  • show you where you are (via ModRana)
  • tell you what day or date it is
  • control music (Saera already recognizes if you tell her to play music, but doesn't do anything yet)
  • remind you something at a specific time (ditto)
  • search for food nearby
Some of the things I plan for Saera to be able to do eventually:
  • send text messages and emails
  • place calls to contact names
  • launch applications
  • tell you the weather
  • other things etc. that happen in the siri commercials

Things that Saera will never do:
  • Install/uninstall applications. The whole root issue.
  • Pass a Turing test.
  • Run on Android, unless someone manages to port gstreamer, gobject and PyGTK.
  • Turn your phone into a flying robot. Although that would be pretty cool.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Install/uninstall applications. The whole root issue.
You can work it around by
1) Calling HAM
2) checking whether using root, if not, then call sudo (depends: sudser)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 238 | Thanked: 131 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by taixzo
What I am working on and saera will be able to do in the next day or so:

show you where you are (via ModRana)
tell you what day or date it is
control music (Saera already recognizes if you tell her to play music, but doesn't do anything yet)
remind you something at a specific time (ditto)
search for food nearby
If you do not mind,it is possible to connect together saera with wolfram,this is just one idea,but if you realize this will be a killer аpp.Marmistrz again bring to life wolfram like song by Evanescence,but hardly as easy to connect both apps.By the way thanks for your work
regards

Originally Posted by disappear View Post
If you do not mind,it is possible to connect together saera with wolfram,this is just one idea,but if you realize this will be a killer аpp.Marmistrz again bring to life wolfram like song by Evanescence,but hardly as easy to connect both apps.By the way thanks for your work
regards
It'll be very hard as saera is pygtk and python and wolframalpha is c++/qml. But the only way I think it may be is to open w|a and make input there. Best contact the original w|a developer

Tags
saera, speech-to-text