Closed Thread
Although I don't like to admit it but Switch_ you are correct, windows is great for home/family use for people with little skill.

But come time for developing, doing many things at once then nothing is better than Linux, multiple desktops, choice of loads of x window systems etc. it's windows that slows you down so much!

Just today I was trying to read data from an email and type it into excel, and I can't force a specific window to be above all other windows! Stupid stupid windows.

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
Agreed but W7 has the "<ahem cough cough cough>INTELLIGENT" split screen environment. As intelligent as you can get when you cant get the damn windows to split intelligently.

Stupid windows indeed. And Linux for speed anyday, so I have heard, though cannot testify to. I'm open minded. Christ, I bought an N900!

And I wear womens pants. But don't tell the Mrs.

You'd swear the next update was going to bring windows 7 to the N900 seeing how far off-topic this thread has gone!

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I didn't know Windows didn't have multiple desktops.

I'd better disable it soon before M$ finds out. Wait till they find out the APIs were supported in Windows 2000. I still have some code I wrote lying around in case you want to make it more linuxy.

And for you, one free hint: Explorer supports binding key combinations to applications, so a "toggle on top" app can be bound to Alt+Ctrl+A for quick toggling.

We may be simpletons but we have been around a while.

Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Stupid stupid
Subtle.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
I can't help thinking that people seriously should quit whining. The N900 has been out for less than 3 months and we've already seen 3 updates (2 minor and 1 a bit larger). There's a PR1.2 update somehwere not too far down the road bringing us official Qt 4.6 and other goods.

Most people (that's my impresion, anyway) don't experience major problems with their N900s. Those that do either accept it as part of it being a brand new product, while others go screaming about how bad the device and Nokia's support is. I think they completely fail to recognize how advanced (and therefore) complicated a piece of machinery it is. It is naive to think that any company have the resources to find all possible errors in a brand new product. They'd have to test it against all possible (and impossible) 3rd party products in all thinkable (and unthinkable) scenarios. I work as a software developer, so I know what kind of resources testing requires - and my company only makes fairly simple applications, not complete pocket computer phones.

My previous phone was a SE K800 and believe me, the first few firmwares were pretty bad. I've had it white-screen (screen all white, even after pulling the battery) on me twice. After about a year and a couple of updates it finally became stable, but still it was an extremely basic phone compared to the N900.

If you want to live on the bleeding edge (which the N900 is), you'll have to accept a few hiccups in the beginning. Alternatively you could buy an iPhone and accept that you can only do with it, what Steve Jobs think you should be allowed to.

Sorry for the rant, but I felt I had to let it out. Still I eagerly await the PR1.2 update as everyone else.
thanks for this... your reasonable message with the right music "electric skychurch - silver froth" made everything better

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Please remain on topic. I will move the big stream of off-topic messages to a separate thread in the appropriate forum as soon as I get back from the hospital, but please, do keep things on topic.

Anyone who keeps going off-topic will receive an infraction.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Although I don't like to admit it but Switch_ you are correct, windows is great for home/family use for people with little skill.

But come time for developing, doing many things at once then nothing is better than Linux, multiple desktops, choice of loads of x window systems etc. it's windows that slows you down so much!

Just today I was trying to read data from an email and type it into excel, and I can't force a specific window to be above all other windows! Stupid stupid windows.
I wouldn't call it for people with little skill. I would call it for people that use an OS like a car. When I want to buy I printer with the features I want I don't have to look all over the web to see if it's compatible with Linux. Same with WIFI, MP3 players, video cards. Windows is for people that need an OS that works for them. It has it's problems, but sometimes using a computer is about getting work done, not configuring the hell out of it. An OS is a tool Some tools work better for some things than others.

This is the same argument as the iPhone vs N900. The iPhone works as intended and gets work done. Yes it doesn't have fancy features but it works. That's the gap Nokia needs to bridge. Features of the N900 but also just works when you need it to.

Can Nokia just open the path to Android, and leave us alone! Worst thing is to hear the OS you bought for your phone will be discontinued, forked and rebranded ... eventually not having the Corporate 1 year support you though came with buying such a device of this calibre. You'd think Nokia treats people with Smartphones as they do with people who own featurephones ... Nokia CEO's are out of touch. Last time I ever buy a Nokia smartphone, really whats wrong with them and there scorched earth policy all the time. 1 thing right, followed by 10 steps of wrong.

1.2 I hope it is good enough, maybe it is time we create a list of reasons why people shouldn't buy this phone. In our confusion, Nokia has been selling a phone that they refuse to commit to openly. Do you ever see Apple being afraid to acknowledge there commitment to the iPhone, or Palm to its Pre, or Google to its Nexus. Nokia is the only big company that doesn't listen to its users WTF is MeeGo, what an awful name and it undermines 3 months of progress done by community development with one blow to the nuts. I can already see it, less apps are being made for a dead OS ... and now we wait an entire year for a final stable MeeGo build that probably won't be supported by Nokia for the n900 ... and we are to sit here and say thank you!

Folks 6-12 months ago Nokia was at a crossroad ... Maemo or Symbian. Before waiting to see Maemo through they flinched, and ran back to Symbian. MeeGo is a graceful exit, they first start with the name, then with the community (fragmented already), and third they go with Intel the guys who are known to kill things off abruptly.

We need a community website, and all the developers and community members here should all go to it, forget this MeeGo, and stop being beta testers for a company who hasn't done enough to show their commitment to it's customers.

So new firmware is coming next friday, right? :P

Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
Can Nokia just open the path to Android, and leave us alone!
No thanks, crippled Java sandboxes that puts control completely in Google's hands isn't my idea of an Open operating system.

Worst thing is to hear the OS you bought for your phone will be discontinued, forked and rebranded
It'll be "discontinued" when they stop releasing devices with it on there.

not having the Corporate 1 year support you though came with buying such a device of this calibre.
Are you suggesting that Nokia has actively dropped support for the N900? I think you're sorely mistaken.

1.2 I hope it is good enough, maybe it is time we create a list of reasons why people shouldn't buy this phone.
You're free to do so, but not here. Pages full of FUD and baseless speculation just to drive people away would defeat the purpose of this site entirely.

Do you ever see Apple being afraid to acknowledge there commitment to the iPhone
Apple is dead silent on whether or not the new iPhone OS release will go back to older devices until the release actually happens.

Nokia is the only big company that doesn't listen to its users
Of course they don't, which is why none of the sources for Maemo are available at all.

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid thread, fictional update, firmware, fremantle, future, goodwin's law, it will be on 12.21.2012, maemo, maemo 5, may be it's a myth?, may be next week, maybe april fools, maybe not, patience is a virtue, patience wastes your life, post generator, pr 1.2, pr1.2, product release, repost, rerun, rick roll'd, speculation, update, worst thread ever