Active Topics

Posts: 434 | Thanked: 990 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by nwerneck View Post
maybe it could turn out Qt only really grows for handelds, who knows!
I thought KDE was based on Qt?
Given how widespread KDE is in the Desktop environment, I don't think Nokia dumping it, will mean too much, as it's supposed to be
gpl'd isn't it?

Also worth considering Novell's interest in this as they contribute to Meego (and KDE).

With MS pushing into arm platforms at around the same time they strike a deal with the world's largest handset maker, Intel is looking at losing any leverage they had in the mobile market, all at a time when they still haven't managed to produce a competitve mobile cpu for handsets.

will be interesting to see if Intel throws more resourcing to meego development now that Nokia have withdrawn so much support....

Originally Posted by nwerneck View Post
Hey maybe apt... Debian's repos. There is a "store", a very old and successful one that has a few Qt apps, will that do it for you?
Sure. My point was that while Nokia is still working on technologies everyone else are developing ecosystems.

If you talk about the Apple or Android ecosystems I think people understand what you're talking about. For Nokia there's just a bunch of technologies and they haven't really put it all together. That was my point, not that there needs to be a Qt store per se.

Qt is working full steam on Symbian^3, Maemo 5 and even older Symbian phones. (not sure what version, but it includes 5800 and others). I don't know how many developers have already released Qt apps, but it's all there, ready to work.
My N900 doesn't have nearly the apps that are on Symbian S^3.

So, for all effects in this debate, Qt is actually "new".
Which was my point

The often mentioned tradition and adoption is more of a rhetoric thing. Qt development for mass mobile apps only really exists and is being tested right now, because of Nokia's relatively recent push.

...Is good technology waiting to be used.
I don't disagree, but its important to know where to pick your battles.

MeeGo was incredibly behind (according to the article). Since Qt is a core component, so was Qt. Would MeeGo have been better off with just GTK (like Maemo)? One can only assume that it would have released faster. The cause of the delay of MeeGo devices can't be blamed on Qt but it certainly doesn't help.

So KISS my Qt!!! Qt is beautiful, Qt is life, Qt is love! Simple and powerful.
Sorry not my thing.

Multi-platform development is always complicated, that is the truth. If there were no problems, it would be the same platform. Qt does offer a great means to archieve that, but it's not just about that. And also, have in mind that we are talking multi-platform across mobile/desktop etc. But maybe it could turn out Qt only really grows for handelds, who knows! :P
I think chasing after the mult-platform holy grail is an effort fraught with frustration.

You are talking like Nokia was forcing you to always take care of numerous different platforms, that doens't make any sense.
Again, the original article was about Nokia's inability to execute on their future platform (MeeGo). With the way they spread themselves out I am not surprised.

Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
So you're saying that Qt is finished for all platforms and is just waiting on some developer's hard drive but Elop decided not to distribute it?
No. I am not. I am saying that Nokia has yet not distributed a non-Symbian device based on Qt. For synergy to bloom, there has to be something to work between.

Oh, btw, Elop did decide not to distribute a Q1 Non-Symbian Qt based device - but that wasn't what I was saying.

A buttload (I mean like hundreds and hundreds of thousands) of custom-made business apps are built on top of Qt.

Most of these apps run only on Windows and are not released to the general public, however.

The point is that Qt is probably the single most widely-known API on the planet right now. Certiainly it is more widely-known than any Microsoft toolkit.

This means that once a real phone with real Qt support hits the market, the barrier to writing mobile apps will be lowered significantly.

Originally Posted by onethreealpha View Post
I thought KDE was based on Qt?
Given how widespread KDE is in the Desktop environment, I don't think Nokia dumping it, will mean too much, as it's supposed to be
gpl'd isn't it?

The Following User Says Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by volt View Post
No. I am not. I am saying that Nokia has yet not distributed a non-Symbian device based on Qt. For synergy to bloom, there has to be something to work between.
So the N900 didn't count because it was Maemo and it was too small a platform. Would the Harmattan based N9/50 run into the same issue? Is synergy only realized with a full-MeeGo device?

Oh, btw, Elop did decide not to distribute a Q1 Non-Symbian Qt based device - but that wasn't what I was saying.
How about you tell me which Non-Symbian Qt based device is actually synergistic?

Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
A buttload (I mean like hundreds and hundreds of thousands) of custom-made business apps are built on top of Qt.
Well, I just found out Matlab run on Qt. Am looking forward to doing some simulations on my phone when the N9/50 is out

Most of these apps run only on Windows and are not released to the general public, however.
I thought the big selling point of Qt was that it was portable. If no one is porting, then what's the point?

The point is that Qt is probably the single most widely-known API on the planet right now. Certiainly it is more widely-known than any Microsoft toolkit.
If in fact it is, it's one of the biggest secrets too. I hope the N9/50 gets some love from these Qt developers.

This means that once a real phone with real Qt support hits the market, the barrier to writing mobile apps will be lowered significantly.
So the N8 and E7 aren't real Qt phones?

Lol, no offence but that is a ridiculous statement.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
So the N900 didn't count because it was Maemo and it was too small a platform.

... I am not going to repeat myself yet again when clearly there's too much interference on the line to understand the very simple message.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
... I am not going to repeat myself yet again when clearly there's too much interference on the line to understand the very simple message.
No, I understand your previous post. Based on your argument and the article in the original post, there were only 3 MeeGo devices planned by 2014 (at best). By your statement MeeGo wouldn't provide any synergy for it to bloom either right?

And your qualifications to make that statement would be what, exactly?

I do a lot of hiring for software developers, and I see a lot of resumes. I know what I'm talking about, as it's based on real-world observations.

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
Lol, no offence but that is a ridiculous statement.

No, I understand your previous post. Based on your argument and the article in the original post, there were only 3 MeeGo devices planned by 2014 (at best). By your statement MeeGo wouldn't provide any synergy for it to bloom either right?
I am a bit uncertain what you're asking here, sorry. Did you ask if I think MeeGo would provide synergy to Symbian? Not a lot, maybe some depending on how popular the MeeGo phones are...

Did you ask if I think Symbian would provide MeeGo any synergy? Yes, I think it would provide MeeGo a lot. Compared to what I said about Maemo, point 1), 2) and 4) does not apply to MeeGo.

As a side note, the three MeeGo devices that Elop suggested we would get before 2014, that's the same number as phones Apple would release if they stick to their regular one year release interval; three before 2014. Well, I'm not sure we're getting three MeeGo phones anyway. If I understand correctly the three phones Elop mentioned were planned from before he changed the strategy. I think we're getting a single MeeGo phone from Nokia. But that's just a guess.

Tags
bada blows, buysomethinelse, good move, goodbye nokia, wp7 rocks