Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ironm8 View Post
i did a really extensive search before buying my n900, so i knew it was for me. But i heard nowhere about a "shortened time support".
Even here, when i bought it in April there was no sign for it.
Only when nokia announced Meego not for n900 it all this started.

About the price, lets use logic. Palm Pre was out at about the time and had under its hood more or less the same hardware as the N900.
Same goes for the Droid/Milestone. All those had the same price tag more or less. So no, we didnt get a "beta" discount.
And I'll state again that the Droid is supposed to be getting yet another update soon. Mind you, it's not the next release, but it's still being actively supported with firmware updates, features, patches and fixes--quite frequent and very, very good ones. As you said, it was out nearly at the same time as the N900. I'll state again, as well, that I'm very glad I skipped the N900. I hope MeeGo will be a far better experience, despite my crestfallen experiences with Nokia.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
See, I knew this would turn into a terrible, stupid thread. I should have reported it for being baseless and wish it had been locked 20 pages ago.
That post to this thread was a terrible, stupid post. I should report it for being pointless and belligerent.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
i am well aware thats while it is called "1.1" it is nowhere near "1.0" state.
it is just funny, and a way to show that numbers means nothing.

there is no doubt that the tablet meego edition looks really promising, also there is far less competition at the moment in this area, so i predict meego doing well at the tablets

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
And I'll state again that the Droid is supposed to be getting yet another update soon. Mind you, it's not the next release, but it's still being actively supported with firmware updates, features, patches and fixes--quite frequent and very, very good ones. As you said, it was out nearly at the same time as the N900. I'll state again, as well, that I'm very glad I skipped the N900. I hope MeeGo will be a far better experience, despite my crestfallen experiences with Nokia.
as someone who had a N800(if i am not mistaken) you probebly knew better what was going around the N900. When i bought mine i honestly thought i would see nokia supporting it with Meego.

If you are suggesting that i should have waited, or buy something else,i really needed a phone and the n900 is providing this need nicely. Seeing this happening, is disturbing as princple. A company betraying its custumers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ironm8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
i am well aware thats while it is called "1.1" it is nowhere near "1.0" state.
I respectfully disagree. Again, I am using it full time now. It has replaced easily 90% of Windows XP work. Looks like a .999 release from my perspective.

it is just funny, and a way to show that numbers means nothing.
In this case I'll agree.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
there is no doubt that the tablet meego edition looks really promising, also there is far less competition at the moment in this area, so i predict meego doing well at the tablets
Wait.. what? Far less competition in in what area? Tablets? Surely, you're joking.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
must I play my "step 4/5" -card again? what is wrong with you when the same fud must be corrected n+1 times in this thread.
So because of some vague quote of N900 being step 4/5 it's ok it had shitloads of bugs when it first came for sale, and that "support" as you call it was pretty much just fixing SOME of those bugs it shouldn't have had in the first place.

Not to mention the lack of the most basic features like proper navigation or that awesome QT app support all the Nokia people talk about, not that I've seen any of that or never will.

It's a quite simple, N900 was and still is a great piece of hardware that had great promise but it never really had a chance to succeed because of lack of support from Nokia. That's pretty much a known fact to anyone else but the most rabid Nokia fanboys...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Olvi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
You just made me angry. your "card" is worthless.
Seriously, did you sign any "Experiment closure" with Nokia?
No, Noone did. I dont give a **** thats for them its a "step".
errr... so you didn't do your research? n900 was officially named step 4/5 in the speech about its release so anyone could have been informed about it. so I call fud to your silly arguments. case closed.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Nokia must have whispered that very quietly in a sound-proof room because I don't think many people got that message.
are you serious?!? here were n+1 posts about it over an year ago and the information was publicly available.
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
But i heard nowhere about a "shortened time support".
I'd call that bad research
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
The thread is about Maemo 5 and so no confusion.
I strongly disagree. without meego, M5 would have already been EOL:ed by M6....

Originally Posted by geohsia View Post

I have no idea what this sentence means. I don't read every forum post so you may be making some reference to something said in another thread.

Let's follow the logic on each:

a) Flash 10.1. If MeeGo didn't exist, don't you think Maemo 5 would have had Flash 10.1? Why would Nokia / Adobe support a dead platform?

b) Ovi Maps 3.x. For the sake of argument, let's say QT is write once, run everywhere. Why would it not then appear on the N900? Because it makes no sense to support a future less platform.

There's a difference between releasing a product that was in beta and customers expecting rough edges versus expecting people to buy into a platform with no future.
what about pasting sources to official statements about flash and ovi maps coming to M5? after that I can agree that you are fully in touch with reality.
Google Custom Search

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest