I'm very interested in seeing reviews of N900 battery life on production units (with SIM in once they start getting out in the wild. Is there any other site or thread tracking this? If it is at LEAST no worse than my iPhone 3G I'll be ok with it, but I won't take a phone that is any worse.

Might have to wait a few days for the batteries to cycle full - low battery a few times to get closer to full capacity.

Today though it lasted from 7am - 6pm with a bit of photography/music/games while showing it off to ppl at work. 3G on entire day with msn/yahoo/nokia messaging connected at all times before it started giving low battery warnings. Had microusb cable anyway. Without the photo/video taking and games it would have easily lasted 14hrs of just messaging.

Last edited by Vodrin; 2009-11-27 at 00:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vodrin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Vodrin View Post
Might have to wait a few days for the batteries to cycle full - low battery a few times to get closer to full capacity.

Today though it lasted from 7am - 6pm with a bit of photography/music/games while showing it off to ppl at work. 3G on entire day with msn/yahoo/nokia messenging connected at all times before it started giving low battery warnings. Had microusb cable anyway.
Note that some people, in other threads, are advising against cycling the battery all the way down. I've no idea what to believe.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Note that some people, in other threads, are advising against cycling the battery all the way down. I've no idea what to believe.

Those posts are utter b/s. You can't be paranoid 24/7 in fear that your device might switch off because it has no battery! And if that was the case, wth? Aren't we in 2009? Isn't something like that a bit of a pre-mature sort of b/s. Something like that shouldn't affect the device at all. People just say too much before thinking.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ South Florida
Hey guys,

I have an N900 and my battery life is horrible, it doesnt even last more than 5 hours with very little use. Ive seen a few others with similar battery life but most people have much better battery life, so it could be some defective units. Im calling Nokia on Monday to have it replaced.
Before I do that, anyone have any ideas as to why my battery life is so horrible? Yes Im on the latest firmware and even reflashed a few times.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lincs, UK
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

what the link basicly outlines; firstly the n900 uses a l-ion type battery.

The battery doesn't like extreams of both high power, and low power. Let the power get too low and you could kill the little lions (cute name) for good, at very least you will permanently lose some of the capacity of your battery

conversely, when charging, don't go all the way to 100% full, unplug it at 80 - 90% doing this will give you less usage time during the following day, but you will extend the overall life of the battery. Once every 500 or so charges you should go to 100%.

People saying that for the "all important" first charge need to give it at least 12 hrs are wrong. Your first charge is / should be no different to any other charge, take it to just under 100%

charge cycles do not matter, intact they should be purposefully discarded, what your little lions want is to be kept moving, they don't want to go hungry, and they don't want to be over fed. Keeping your n900 plugged in and at 100% all the time doesn't let your lions move, not letting them move will kill them. Regular charges are good, the more often the better, 10% here 23% there is perfect, keep your lions moving!

Your battery will last many charge cycles. A cycle doesn't mean 100% all the way down to 0%
if you went from say, 70% to 60% 10 times, right there is a valid charge cycle, and it keeps your lions moving

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DannStarr For This Useful Post:
mines was pretty bad also, but after i tune my brightness down one notch and turn off my 3g when i'm not using it, it actually get by almost a full day uses.

but compare to my e61i it's miles away, but then the e61i isn't a powerful as the n900

Originally Posted by DannStarr View Post
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm

what the link basicly outlines; firstly the n900 uses a l-ion type battery.

The battery doesn't like extreams of both high power, and low power. Let the power get too low and you could kill the little lions (cute name) for good, at very least you will permanently lose some of the capacity of your battery

conversely, when charging, don't go all the way to 100% full, unplug it at 80 - 90% doing this will give you less usage time during the following day, but you will extend the overall life of the battery. Once every 500 or so charges you should go to 100%.

People saying that for the "all important" first charge need to give it at least 12 hrs are wrong. Your first charge is / should be no different to any other charge, take it to just under 100%

charge cycles do not matter, intact they should be purposefully discarded, what your little lions want is to be kept moving, they don't want to go hungry, and they don't want to be over fed. Keeping your n900 plugged in and at 100% all the time doesn't let your lions move, not letting them move will kill them. Regular charges are good, the more often the better, 10% here 23% there is perfect, keep your lions moving!

Your battery will last many charge cycles. A cycle doesn't mean 100% all the way down to 0%
if you went from say, 70% to 60% 10 times, right there is a valid charge cycle, and it keeps your lions moving
lol sorry i rather just be more relaxed and max out my battery and if it ever get too bad i'll spend $30 for a new battery on newegg...

The Following User Says Thank You to thinh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by DannStarr View Post

I believe modern battery charge monitoring software already accounts for that to some extent, and will not allow you to charge the battery to "true" 100% or "true" 0% in normal circumstances.

So you should be fine charging the battery to the point where the phone says "Ok, I've finished charging now".

And if the electronics are at all sensible, it should stop charging the battery at that point automatically.

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thinh View Post
mines was pretty bad also, but after i tune my brightness down one notch and turn off my 3g when i'm not using it, it actually get by almost a full day uses.

but compare to my e61i it's miles away, but then the e61i isn't a powerful as the n900

How about if you used it in a similar way to the e61i? Would the battery be comparable since you would not be using the extra features?

Tags
n900 battery, n900 v. power war, piss poor