HI,

I got my N900 about a week ago, and although I did not do a lot of research about support or continued development prior to purchasing it, I did do some, and for the most part I felt satisfied that I got a good phone.

I went ahead and read this entire thread to try to understand what is happening with its development, and to try to see if I had bought the wrong device. I'll be honest at first I was a little worried, but after continuing to read, and reading all of this thread on hardware adaptation, for the moment it looks like i will still be satisfied, depending on how this MeeGo-Harmattan project works out.

One aspect of the phone I did not like at first was the lack of more portrait mode support, which I had mentioned in this thread and had asked about its status as under development, and I am assuming that the work that will be done making MeeGo-Harmattan usable for the N900 will incorporate something like what I had imagined based on what i read here. I also assumed the reason why no-one was replying to the thread I was commenting on is because this is in the works...

In any-case, I thank everyone that Is making this possible from both sides, and really appreciate the forum community, and the hard work/good comments that has/have gone into this thread in particular. It really was a good read, as strange as that sounds.

I don't know exactly how I could contribute or help in this endeavor, but I'm willing to do anything. I've got lots of bandwidth, enough free time to read a 21 page long thread , and some very limited knowledge of programing, which after getting this phone I might want to expand, and a will to help, so....count me in.

Last edited by sytheii; 2010-06-23 at 06:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sytheii For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Hi, welcome!

Originally Posted by sytheii View Post
I don't know exactly how I could contribute or help in this endeavor, but I'm willing to do anything.
1. Get familiar and involved in the discussion here and in the MeeGo Handset forum: http://forum.meego.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

2. Download and install in your N900 MeeGo 1.1 unstable with the Handset UX when it is released.

3. Test and file bugs, specially about the underlying functionality (if MeeGo-Harmattan is your main target, otherwise feedback about the reference apps is welcome too).

4. Get the MeeGo updates, feel the progress, put your stress in the annoying platform bugs still open.

5. Wait for official MeeGo-Harmattan announcements and releases. Not much can be done about the MeeGo-Harmattan apps before their code/binaries are out.

These are steps that any N900 user with some time and patience can follow, hopefully while keeping their Maemo 5 stable intact in the device.

If you want to learn and improve as a developer a good entry point is to join a Maemo 5 community project you like and offer your help porting it to MeeGo or MeeGo-Harmattan. This might help you finding more bugs and rough edges in the underlying platforms, which is very good feedback for platform and application developers at this point.

Also important: enjoy the Summer!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ León, Spain
We're waiting to the N900 MeeGo 1.1 unstable with Handset UX release to begin filling bug reports

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
would you pay a little to the developer who porting MeeGo to N900?

My answer is Yes!

I suggest setting up a site for community MeeGo N900. And I would happily pay some cash toward the project or may be buy a copy of the .img file

I believe we can do it safe and still open. Otherwise we can do it like Ovi

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
i would pay up to 30 euroes for the meego release

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
5. Wait for official MeeGo-Harmattan announcements and releases. Not much can be done about the MeeGo-Harmattan apps before their code/binaries are out.

If you want to learn and improve as a developer a good entry point is to join a Maemo 5 community project you like and offer your help porting it to MeeGo or MeeGo-Harmattan. This might help you finding more bugs and rough edges in the underlying platforms, which is very good feedback for platform and application developers at this point.

Also important: enjoy the Summer!
Gotcha. Well, I'll be around looking at what is being said, and offer my input, i registered over at meego as well.

You say "join a maemo 5 community project," and help "porting it to MeeGo or Meego-Harmattan." Do you mean, after the Meego-Harmatan reaches its first stage, test it along with whatever the project might be as it runs in Meego-Harmattan? I think I understood that correctly...but maybe not.

Also...this may sound like the kind of question that should not be asked here, and will also sound very over-ambitious, but I will anyway...

What, if any, resources, like books or things online, could I read to learn more about making apps for the N900, and should I even try to get into this seeing as Meego-Harmattan might very well, uh...replace(?) maemo 5?

thanks.

Last edited by sytheii; 2010-06-24 at 04:00.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2010 @ San Luis Potosi, S.L.P., Mexico
01 .- any cheap cell has the ability to assign different ringtones for incoming calls to discriminate, but the cel n900 with all their technology, do not have that function, all calls ring the same tone. How can discriminate calls from these numbers that continually call you and you do not wish to answer? 02 .- contemporary models of nokia, n95 and 5800 and, I know that have the ability to edit the label of each number stored in a contact, so you can define for example, if the contact has three mobile numbers from different companies, with different benefits, what company is for each issue and not be guessing which number is which company. the n900 does not. I am a simple user, who will be the hero to resolve these shortcomings?
j_silva_l@live.com

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by Pp Tools View Post
01 .- any cheap cell has the ability to assign different ringtones for incoming calls to discriminate, but the cel n900 with all their technology, do not have that function, all calls ring the same tone. How can discriminate calls from these numbers that continually call you and you do not wish to answer? 02 .- contemporary models of nokia, n95 and 5800 and, I know that have the ability to edit the label of each number stored in a contact, so you can define for example, if the contact has three mobile numbers from different companies, with different benefits, what company is for each issue and not be guessing which number is which company. the n900 does not. I am a simple user, who will be the hero to resolve these shortcomings?
j_silva_l@live.com
The thread name is N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan release from Nokia its not the place to complain about N900 or Maemo 5. Go to offtopic section and post your concerns there.

If you want to help in some way contribute by testing don't disturb others who are willing to make things better

on topic:\

I want to install MeeGo 1.1 on June 30 and test it but I need Maemo 5 to be there as well , unless its dualboot I wont take the risk

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HellFlyer For This Useful Post:
Seconded on the dualboot thing.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by sytheii View Post
You say "join a maemo 5 community project," and help "porting it to MeeGo or Meego-Harmattan." Do you mean, after the Meego-Harmatan reaches its first stage, test it along with whatever the project might be as it runs in Meego-Harmattan?

(...)

What, if any, resources, like books or things online, could I read to learn more about making apps for the N900, and should I even try to get into this seeing as Meego-Harmattan might very well, uh...replace(?) maemo 5?
MeeGo puts the stress on Qt for application developers and Maemo 5 supports Qt officially now, so there is nothing really replacing.

What to learn depends on what do you know, what do you want to do and what are you willing to learn. A good recommendation for starters in mobile development willing to see fast progress and a promising future is Qt Quick. This link should be good enough for now: http://doc.trolltech.org/4.7-snapsho...arativeui.html

But of course what to learn depends also on the project you choose, if you decide to contribute to an ongoing project.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:

Tags
harmattan, meego