Moderator | Posts: 3,716 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Even though they promised to deliver the GPD Win if it won't reach the goal, they did reach it!
They've also upgraded the CPU to Z8550
It's also confirmed that you can boot a different OS using a MicroSD or from the USB port.
I love the way how they reply to every single comment on the IGG campaign page

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Indeed.

Communication:
GPD 1:0 Jolla

It remains to be seen if they keep the score with regards to the delivery.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
And they answered the Win10 question: Yes, it'll ship a W10 license (the free one from MS).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Which is why I'm merely stating that I'd find their device interesting IF I could get it without a Windows licence.
You could just buy a Pyra. The OpenPandora community is very Linux friendly - even using the GNU/ isn't frowned upon
No Windows or another proprietary OS will be installed. The only reason not to buy it - if you want a Linux handheld device - is the price. Michael (the main guy behind the Pyra) gives excellent customer service even years after the guarantee period. I'll gladly pay the higher price for the service, friendly and pro-Linux company / community.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Pickins are pretty slim for what OP wants but, if you are willing to use an android phone the following app will let you run a lot of handy commands I associate with gnu linux based distributions. (convert, ls -ltr, vi, and so on).
[...]
I've got GNURoot Debian on an Android phone, and it works pretty well. I can run ipython etc on it. The biggest problem with that app is that it drains the battery even when idle, for reasons I don't understand.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
I've got GNURoot Debian on an Android phone, and it works pretty well. I can run ipython etc on it. The biggest problem with that app is that it drains the battery even when idle, for reasons I don't understand.
idle = screen off?

i've seen this on some android devices and the best "explanation" I could come up with is that the terminal program grabs a wake lock and (much like the early Jolla days) bugs in the kernel means power is wasted whenever there's a wakelock even if the system is idle. So it runs down the battery in a few hours.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Hi. I tried the GNURoot Debian app and did not experience a significant drainage of battery when I put the app in background. Same with Linux on Android although in that case I was using Fedora. I had to install ipython on both.

Did you get Launch X option to work?. It freezes when I try and I had to kill the process to get out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi. I tried the GNURoot Debian app and did not experience a significant drainage of battery when I put the app in background. Same with Linux on Android although in that case I was using Fedora. I had to install ipython on both.

Did you get Launch X option to work?. It freezes when I try and I had to kill the process to get out.
I got the GNURoot Debian Launch X option to "work", but it was so clumsy as to be worthless. So I use the nonX11 shell of GNURoot Debian, and display X11 stuff, when needed, with XServer XSDL (another app entirely). The combination is usable, but no where near as handy as an N900.

I should clarify that when I said GNURoot Debian drained the battery, even when Idle, it doesn't drain it rapidly. When idle, it seems to take about as much juice as "Google Play Services" (on a Nexus 5x). I'm just surprised that it burns power at all when I am not actively using it. I use iPython as my calculator, and I have lots of functions defined. With my N900, I can just leave an iPython shell running all the time, and it does not drain the battery at all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
idle = screen off?
Yes, screen off.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I got the GNURoot Debian Launch X option to "work", but it was so clumsy as to be worthless. So I use the nonX11 shell of GNURoot Debian, and display X11 stuff, when needed, with XServer XSDL (another app entirely). The combination is usable, but no where near as handy as an N900.

I should clarify that when I said GNURoot Debian drained the battery, even when Idle, it doesn't drain it rapidly. When idle, it seems to take about as much juice as "Google Play Services" (on a Nexus 5x). I'm just surprised that it burns power at all when I am not actively using it. I use iPython as my calculator, and I have lots of functions defined. With my N900, I can just leave an iPython shell running all the time, and it does not drain the battery at all.
Yup. You're right. When putting GNURoot Debian in background it uses about the same (if not slightly more) battery as Google Play Services. I tried the same with Linux on Android and it didn't use enough battery to appear in the list depicting battery usage. So it may be better with regards to battery usage.

Currently there is no linux distro with a finger friendly desktop environment that is suited for screens on cell phones. That was one of the nice things about the N900. One can only hope that someday a company will release a phone with a hwkb in landscape again...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy