Active Topics

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by parasemic View Post
Are you stupid? .....
Was that really neccessary?

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
The most irritating thing about sailfish for me is the damn feedscreen going nuts over it

I don't know how many times I have activated it by mistake now.

Edit:

I think it would be better disable feedscreen when an application is active. Atleast such apps that is using the bottom for swipe inside the app eg al listview related apps, camera, imageviewer and so on.

Actually as it is today its very very very annoying. And definitivly new users will get affraid.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-12-20 at 20:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Was that really neccessary?
Yes. He obviously didn't even pay attention on what I said in my earlier post and just ruled it out as useless bs.

Last edited by parasemic; 2013-12-20 at 20:25.

Other things... I found fix for the low sound volume in android apps. It's really amazing:

Download an android volume controller app and max out the volume.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to parasemic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Could you or Att elaborate a bit on this? On the N9, these files are in ~.sync/profiles/service and ../sync. On Jolla there is no "service", but there is a dir "server". Same thing?

And on N9, one had to add the config to the daemon by doing some DBus magic. (Incidentally, does that SMS sync work on Jolla?)

Some pointers to documentation on this would be welcome too.
"service" and "server" seem not to be same thing. Create directory "service" because it does not exist in Jolla by default.

Manually edit your definitions into config files in "sync" and "service" directory.

Dbus magic is used for manually initiating sync (i.e. forcing sync to start immediately). You can add automatic schedules to your definitions, for me they work although not quite consistently.

I haven't found good documentation about buteo config files, but there were some instructions in meego forums, links were in thread that you linked. I'm not confident about my configs, but they seem to work. Hopefully we have at some point Jolla UI for managing buteo syncml configs.

The Following User Says Thank You to sconf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by parasemic View Post
Are you stupid? When I open up the launcher, everybody thinks I'm using an android device. It operates 100% same way. Even as there isn't a graphical interface installed by default, you can do it yourself. You can install every app manager, task manager, system information app etc. It's an (emulated) android operating system running as a Sailfish application.
Being not a hardcore Android user I like to attribute to my intelligence rather than stupidity.

Now that we know it is a virtual Android Machine I am more interested learning how to make them Android that require complex permissions to run the way I want.

The telecom applications I wish to run are more complex and don't function well if at all.

They need to be granted the permission they need to operate, while being forbidden rights they take but don't need.

Both on Alien Dalvik layer passed through to Sailfish. So where is the configuration file or interface for this virtual machine?

Is it not allowed to access the Jolla earspeaker or does it not see the ear speaker due to incompatible hardware?

No root Access -> can this thing emulate a rooted Android?

Just an observation:
Standard Installed Android parts:

Android System 4.1.2
Camera 4.1.2
Contacts Storage 4.1.2
Download Manager 4.1.2
Downloads 4.1.2
Fallback 4.1.2
Input Devices 4.1.2
Package Access Helper 4.1.2
Phone 4.1.2
Phone Messaging Storage 4.1.2
Search Applications Provider 4.1.2
Settings Storage 4.1.2
System UI 4.1.2
User Dictionary

Yandex Store 2.1
Myriad Fake Home 1.0
->> this is something from Alien Dalvik

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Unlike alarms in Harmattan, it seems there is no auto-snooze when you just wait for the alarms to stop on Sailfish. On N9, there was like 5-6 snoozes before it finally stopped snoozing anyway.

I really liked this feature, as I was lazy enough to prefer surviving the terrible ringtone over the efforts of snoozing. I wish it will be possible on Sailfish too someday.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
Question about the UI / onscreen keyboard when writing an SMS. Let's say I select a contact named John. Right above the keyboard I click the message line, where in faint letters it says "Hi John". That seems a nice start for a message (something I missed on N9 btw) but I have no clue how to activate the "Hi John". Any key and it disappears.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by sconf View Post
"service" and "server" seem not to be same thing. Create directory "service" because it does not exist in Jolla by default.

Manually edit your definitions into config files in "sync" and "service" directory.
Hah! Indeed it works, with the service-directory created. I too simply copied the memotoo.com.xml files from the N9 to the Jolla (on Jolla you have to be root), issued the dbus-command (as user again) and poof, all contacts and calendar items are there!

Notes are absent however, which is a pity. I didn't test SMS, but I'd be surprised if that works, as Jolla handles sms differently from N9, iirc.

Leaves me wondering why so many people choose google and similar proprietary cloud-based services. I've been using SyncML and a service of my liking since the N95. Hurray for open protocols!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
make a symlink in your home directory which points to the SD card
worked - thx from one happy sailor (listening to music now)

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience