Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I still stand by my notion that the mindshare for Nokia is lessening. We've already seen it happen to Motorola. And Apple/RIM has nothing to do with that; they're just competition.
That's a critical point: neither Apple nor RIM are responsible for Nokia's decline in US smartphone share. Those two simply capitalized on Nokia's failure.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
That 'enormous' aftermarket 'market' that you talked about.. it's possible from the combination of huge userbase, lock in mechanism (proprietary connectors, enabler chips, etc), revenue sharing mechanism, powerful brand & marketing, etc.

Not to mention, there's a big financial incentive for them to do well in that area.
I'm talking about a standard, non-proprietary (although they also have proprietary) aftermarket. Even if you filter out all those APPLE-PORT-ONLY products, the iPhone aftermarket is ENORMOUS (including replacement power cords and adapters, headphones, wireless transmitters, body and screen protectors, replacement parts, etc.). THOSE are the ones that are enormous. The proprietary port is starting to become something of a liability--especially with each new generation of Apple iPhone or iPod product that fails to work with these unnecessarily expensive accessories (thanks to patent licensing on those ports) that you'd expect them to work with.

Originally Posted by fms View Post
If I had a definite answer to this, I would be making lots of money right now. But, as things stand, there is a huge number of possible reasons to choose from, not all of them under Nokia's control, and choosing/eliminating the right ones is a million dollar question.
The better point is: If you had a definite million dollar answer to this question, would Nokia want to listen? It's quite likely they already had many such answers and don't listen. I think that's a BIG part of Texrat's latest lamentations with which I share.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
ROFL, what's wrong with making comparison with what's available in the market? For technical or practical reasons: they're in similar price range, occupy the same market space, technically comparable (well somewhat, the pre and iphone has stepped off with cortex a8), designed to do similar tasks..

When one is in the market for such device, those are the options. So what's the most natural thing to do? Compare.

Btw, can you give me a list of sites that's supposed to crash the these non-desktop browsers? I've the HTC G1 and iPhone 3GS to test. I've yet to see either of them crash opening a web page.
Let's also not forget that what FMS was criticizing was primarily the CHIPSETS that they're all using (the OMAP sets the amount of RAM, for example.. not Nokia or Apple or Palm). I'm as cynical as they come (I'm sure you've all noticed by now, right?) but let's at least recognize that they're all using similar chips in different ways, and most of those ways have more to do with the software and support.

The most natural thing to do is to buy a device you like, then shut up. If you've accidentally bought a device you do not like, sell it, then go to step #1.
Ah, so you either DO work for Nokia. Sounds like a commanding executive position, from your contextual tone.

Exactly: I have got the device I like and shut up. You do not see me endlessly bitсhing about devices I own, do you?
So you're implying that by buying something, you're implicitly happy with that product until you've sold it off? You've never been unhappy with something you needed to have... and never disliked some elements of the product or the way they handled support or customers? Are you implying companies can never do wrong despite thin competition in the same segment?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Last I checked, the life of a BMW and a Toyota is much longer than the less than 2 years that each NIT has enjoyed in the name of "support"

My last BMW lasted 8 years, and in high school to college, my Toyota lasted 9.

Regardless, these are disposable items, especially where firmware updates are basicaly stopped the moment a newer version/iteration of said product comes out. This comparison to paying more for a telephone or NIT in the name of "better quality" but yet it lacks continued support and/or seems already dated from the moment you purchase it is the wrong analogy.

Paying a premium for something that does not get regular support in the way of the rest of the Nokia products is a foolish endeavor no matter how you split it.

And these numbers being tossed around... which models represent this growth?

I still stand by my notion that the mindshare for Nokia is lessening. We've already seen it happen to Motorola. And Apple/RIM has nothing to do with that; they're just competition.
To further bolster your argument..

My 1974 VW Beetle... they don't make them anymore. Yet, I'm fully enjoying it. There it is. It still runs. I have no shortage of places to take it to, parts, support groups, etc. I can still take it to most shops and most people will HAPPILY work on it. (Actually, I've been approached out fo the blue many times in case I want help working on it) People and shops are quite glad to work on such an easy, openly architectured vehicle with standard parts, fasteners and tools to work with.

And there's absolutely no shortage of parts (new and used):
http://www.jcwhitney.com/VW-Parts/10110.jcw
http://www.mamotorworks.com/air-cooled-vw-parts.html
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/

I challenge you to find anything even CLOSE to that extent of support, parts and dedication from Nokia or any third parties for the tablets. :P

Standards and support count for a LOT.. even long after the manufacturer has stopped having a hand in it. Sometimes it's what they did AT THE TIME THAT THEY DID MANUFACTURE them that is just as important for their brand recognition and customer faithfulness.

Remember that it's always easier to keep customers coming back for more of your stuff if you've taken care of them after the fact (even with mistakes, even if it costs the customers money). I hear Volkswagen is doing pretty alright lately.

Last edited by danramos; 2009-08-14 at 23:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: