Originally Posted by qole View Post
Augmented reality would be cool
You mean cool like sort of this ... ?

Originally Posted by R-R View Post
People haven't seen the "stand i a field and get points / distances overlayed on the camera to the next restaurant/shop/whatevet"-demo i guess...

You're not going to be guessing the north in the evening in a random place (no, no moss on the north of city building :P)
Yeah. That's what I find useful about it. Or the Wiki one. It isn't needed yet and granted you could do it manually (look up info yourself). But it's nice to have that ability.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by R-R View Post
You're not going to be guessing the north in the evening in a random place (no, no moss on the north of city building :P)
If you don't see Sun, stars, moss or other boyscout methods, you still have the option of turning the GPS on and start walking. You should have (a rough estimate of) North after walking just 5-10 meters.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
If you don't see Sun, stars, moss or other boyscout methods, you still have the option of turning the GPS on and start walking. You should have (a rough estimate of) North after walking just 5-10 meters.
But you're missing the point of AR... imagine sitting in a bar and bein able to tag the paintings on the wall or draw an arrow to indicate where the 2nd floor is for the future visit of friends...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
No, R-R, you're missing the point. I think we all agree, augmented reality is cool.

But you can figure out which way is which, even on a dark, cloudy night, in a barren, mossless land, without a magnetometer. You really only need the GPS for that.

Saying that the N900's wonderousness is ruined because it doesn't have a compass and therefore cannot perform AR functions is not entirely fair.

By the time AR software has matured enough to be really useful (and not just fun to watch in demos), the next Maemo device, which probably will include a magnetometer, will be on store shelves...

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
I agree that I don't need a device when/if I'm lost, at all...

I also agree that the next device should have it and that the current AR software are pretty bleeding eldge...

I never said it was ruining the n900 either, just that i'm very disapointed that a geek targeted device missed the oportunity to give the best target audience for AR the chance to develop news apps for it, giving it an instant advantage over others...

But, eh, step 4/5, it's going to be a great device, everyone is too emotional, i got mine pre-ordered anyway. ^_^

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
By the time AR software has matured enough to be really useful (and not just fun to watch in demos), the next Maemo device, which probably will include a magnetometer, will be on store shelves...
Haha, maybe I should wait a year.

My masters thesis in Human Factors Psychology that I am going be working on soon (just started the program August 31st) is in Virtual Reality. I also want to study Augmented Reality but I figure start with VR first then work my way there.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

While in practical terms I agree with that, but principally - aren'\ty you making excuses for it not having a magnetometer NOW ?

Personally I don't care either ways, but yes it does not have a magnetometer for the purposes it could be used for - so there it is.
The fact that the next device will have it is pure conjecture at this point of time (which you also said).

Last edited by nilchak; 2009-09-18 at 00:43.

The other problem with having it in a future device is then we have to pay another 600-700 for it. =P. Unless Nokia offers some trade-in plan (which I wouldn't mind). Or you sell it before it gets to outdated.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
...aren't you making excuses for it not having a magnetometer NOW ?
Nope. Just saying it's not a big deal. Really.

Weird that there's so much upset over a cutting edge feature like AR, and a legacy feature like MMS. I guess it's just emotional talk because everyone's so antsy to get the darned things into their eager hands.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: