Active Topics

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I think the bit that worries me most about this is the effect on the community.

The device is... a device. the definition of 'obsolete' in technology is 'ten minutes after you opened the box' so I didn't expect the n900 to have updates forever. It will still work!

But the community here is something that has become very important to me, and I'm concerned that this will impact it in unhelpful ways. A quick look at the the comparisons set out by Qgil here suggests that Maemo has a much more active, communicative volunteer community, comprising not only developers and technical people but enthusiasts and end-users (like me).

I find myself asking things like "why were we allowed to go on discussion a maemo.org mascot when people must have known maemo had a limited shelf life?" (I won't mention that I'm knitting an obsolete scarf!) which is something about this being sprung on a good community without any warning. Then there's "What will happen to the council?" - will the community still need dedicated representatives to cement the bond between professionals and volunteers? What shape will the community have? Will end-users still be wanted around here?

And what will become of t.m.o.? Moblin has nothing remotely like it - will it too become obsolete?

A lot of people have put a great deal of effort into building a community here, including council members past and present. I don't want to see all that good work lost in some Grand Scheme.

Of course, that all sounds very negative. I'm not. I'm just airing my anxieties to make sure that some of the best bits of maemo.org (of which the comunty is one, IMNSHO) don't get lost in the marriage.
Would a simple rebranding for maemo.org be enough? most of us survived the switch from internettablettalk to maemo.org.

What I'm more interested in is whether Nokia will switch to using oFono and Connman to replace the current phone client?

Now Linux foundation will take the lead. This is a very good sign for N900 users. There is no question about N900’s future anymore. The foundation is independent and there is no question, if they want N900 users to have the next release. They will let us have it. They are Linux.

Last edited by luipaard; 2010-02-15 at 17:04.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Would a simple rebranding for maemo.org be enough? most of us survived the switch from internettablettalk to maemo.org.

What I'm more interested in is whether Nokia will switch to using oFono and Connman to replace the current phone client?
It's not that simple. This is not a 'rebranding' - it's a marriage. The maemo community is going to have to connect to the different needs and expectations of the moblin community. That they don't use a forum is just one element.

Moblin seem to be highly developer-oriented, for example, whereas maemo.org is increasingly an enthusiast and user community as well. The Moblin community structure is completely different, too: they don't have an equivalent of the Maemo council. If it were just a rebanding, I doubt there'd be quite so much fuss all round.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
This does sound like a good thing in general; both the Linux Foundation and Intel have better track records of real open development than Nokia do, and the noise about 'completely open source' is pretty hopeful.

As for the RPM vs deb wars - get over it already, there are really no substantial differences left, RPM systems have long since added proper dependency handling, and debs have (more or less) added proper signatures. They're now different, but essentially equivalent, solutions to the same problem.

Interesting times, anyway.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
i think the community council should call a meeting and talk about trying to get some answers from nokia about the future of maemo.org
i dont see how having 3 sites all serving similar purpose is part of the longer term Meego strategy.
projects will easily get duplicated and there will be lot of fragmentation like this so Its only fair NOKIA and INTEL answer these concerns now and let the respective community's know where they will stand in 12 months time.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
If anyone is interested, I've started a thread about what are the best things to keep in this marriage (You know, like every Tuesday Poker Nights

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=527692

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Maemo 6 was already set to use oFono before this announcement. I don't know about Connman.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
It's not that simple. This is not a 'rebranding' - it's a marriage. The maemo community is going to have to connect to the different needs and expectations of the moblin community. That they don't use a forum is just one element.

Moblin seem to be highly developer-oriented, for example, whereas maemo.org is increasingly an enthusiast and user community as well. The Moblin community structure is completely different, too: they don't have an equivalent of the Maemo council. If it were just a rebanding, I doubt there'd be quite so much fuss all round.
I see your point but if they have no equivalent platform for end user, maybe they should be encouraged to integrate this forum (rebranded of course) and fast.

when is MeeGo v2.0 coming out?

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
I see your point but if they have no equivalent platform for end user, maybe they should be encouraged to integrate this forum (rebranded of course) and fast.
I think it would be good to collect all these "to be integrated" things and quickly raise a list with meego to work on integration.

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war