Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Durham, NC
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
The init script runs at startup, so the swap memory is activated, but later during the boot swap is turned off.
What setup do you have with respect to swap?
I'm not totally sure what you mean by "what setup do you have with respect to swap?" I was using ramzez prior to installing DT. I set the swap % in ramzez once and then it kept it and I never really thought about it again until now. If there is somewhere specific I can look at on my N810 let me know and I'll get that info back to you ASAP. Thanks!

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Unit (WiMax version) has been very stable for last 36 hours (it rebooted one time, first time that has ever happen that I am aware of).

Trying to do a shutdown via the advanced-power app will cause a reboot on the first try then on the second it will shutdown. This seems to happen after the unit has been up for a few hours (not all the time). I suspect advanced-power or advanced-backlight or advanced-power-monitor or all of them are conflicting with Diablo-Turbo.

Web pages loads faster, most of the time.

I would recommend this kernel over the last one since I was not able to get that one to work.

Flakey and/or dying batteries will indeed cause reboots. My N810 runs unmodified Diablo, and it still has its original battery, which obviously is getting seriously old in the tooth... lately it started rebooting by itself each time I connect the charger to top it off, which is a typical end-of-life symptom. New but counterfeit units with dodgy specs will also behave like this early on.

Last edited by fpp; 2011-03-11 at 21:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
I have had the shutdown issue twice on my N810 (not with this new kernel but just with the d-t packages).

These times the power button wasn't working with the "screen won't go off" issue too.

So maybe these issues are relationated???

When that happened advance-power option to shutdown the device just rebooted. Same second time to shutdown with the advance-power menu.

Third time all went fine. Advance-power option could shutdown N810, screen go off allright and device power button worked again.

So I think all these issues are different sides of the same problem.

NEWS:
...I finally located the "reboot at shutdown" bug, hidden in the arm assembler kernel code of the Diablo kernel. It's triggered by preemption at kernel level and its effects are not clear...
...Surprisingly, I also learned that the Diablo kernel is 2.6.21.0+omap with almost no bugfixes, while stable mainline reached 2.6.21.7 before Diablo was discontinued, so while I was at it, I imported all applicable bugfixes from 2.6.21.7, and then some from 2.6.22.x after the 2.6.21 end of line, making a grand total of 62 bugfixes.
This sounds like straight out of The Right Stuff... maacruz is a maemo Hero (yes, with the capital H :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Flakey and/or dying batteries will indeed cause reboots. My N810 runs unmodified Diablo, and it still has its original battery, whic obviously is getting seriously old in the tooth... lately it started rebooting by itself each time I connect the charger to top it off, which is a typical end-of-life symptom. New but counterfeit units with dodgy specs will also behave like this early on.
Yeah I have this on a second hand unit i procured. Mugen is on the way.
Boot from MMC
Gpodder Cache on MMC
MTube Cache on MMC
Mugen 1800mAh Battery
Addesso USB rollup keyboard
Solio Solar Charger
Holux GPSlim GPS

N810
community SSU
Turbo Diablo
8GB external
Boot from Internal SD
Still no GPS Fix.

N900
Stock
32GB
Many Solar Chargers (Saved bacon during Sandy!)
Inland ProHT BT keyboard
What's this? A GPS Fix? Wowwwwwww

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by jmart View Post
I'm not totally sure what you mean by "what setup do you have with respect to swap?" I was using ramzez prior to installing DT. I set the swap % in ramzez once and then it kept it and I never really thought about it again until now. If there is somewhere specific I can look at on my N810 let me know and I'll get that info back to you ASAP. Thanks!
If you have enabled a swap file or swap partition in mmc, or you have just ramzswap and nothing else.
Try this:
Code:
root
cd /etc/rc2.d
mv S31ramzswap S52ramzswap
reboot
and tell me if it fixes the problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by Straycat View Post
I have had the shutdown issue twice on my N810 (not with this new kernel but just with the d-t packages).

These times the power button wasn't working with the "screen won't go off" issue too.

So maybe these issues are relationated???
I said so in the new test kernel announce post. You should flash the new test kernel ASAP, only after some time of testing we'll know if both issues are gone.

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Durham, NC
If you have enabled a swap file or swap partition in mmc, or you have just ramzswap and nothing else.
Try this:
Code:
root
cd /etc/rc2.d
mv S31ramzswap S52ramzswap
reboot
and tell me if it fixes the problem.
This worked!!!! Thanks for all the help with this, I really appreciate it. I guess it doesn't matter much now, but I am just using ramzswap --- no mmc swap partition or swap file. Thanks again!

Last edited by jmart; 2011-03-12 at 00:21.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
The alarm in Clock and Large-statusbar-clock fails to alarm and keeps the display from dimming/sleep. Must reboot to reset unit.

Tags
chinook, diablo, new life, os2008