Active Topics

Notices

I've spent the whole evening tinkering with scripts to run with the Billboard and found one thing that I'd love to see: unicode support with the script output!

As it is, it seems that the output from a {script:} tag is always considered iso-8859-1 instead of UTF-8, which means I can't use all sorts of fancy characters in the script itself.

Also the script output always includes a newline, which can be troublesome too...

edit: actually, the newline can be skipped by putting a zero byte at the end of the output of the python script

Last edited by ataristic; 2012-10-06 at 22:35. Reason: found a trick

The Following User Says Thank You to ataristic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on May 2012 @ INDIA
hello dear developer of billboard,
thank you very much for your wonderfull app.
this is just a request that can you please add an option of adding coloured logo of MEEGO? So that we can use it on the lockscreen?
thanks in advance

Originally Posted by ataristic View Post
I've spent the whole evening tinkering with scripts to run with the Billboard and found one thing that I'd love to see: unicode support with the script output!

As it is, it seems that the output from a {script:} tag is always considered iso-8859-1 instead of UTF-8, which means I can't use all sorts of fancy characters in the script itself.

Also the script output always includes a newline, which can be troublesome too...

edit: actually, the newline can be skipped by putting a zero byte
at the end of the output of the python script
any tips on how to put the zero bytes ?

Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
any tips on how to put the zero bytes ?
Just put a \x00 escape code where you want the output to end (anything beyond it will be ignored, including the forced newline), like so:

print "this string ends here\x00(and this is ignored)"

Is this why I can't get δεφ out of my script? Latin-1 seems to support them but how to output them to Billboard?

Edit:

Using string.encode('latin1') solves this.

Edit 2:

Change back to UTF-8 once Billboard 1.0.7 is out (just erase the .encode('latin1') from the end)

Last edited by slarti; 2012-12-12 at 15:43.

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Think I found a bug:
After watching a video with the default player, the title was still displayed after player was closed. Reboot emptied the line.

Still struggling with the python-script for uptime here.
My desktop is a Win7 and I used notepad++ for creating this script
Code:
#!/usr/bin/python
import datetime
seconds = int(float(open('/proc/uptime').read().split()[0]))
print str(datetime.timedelta(0, seconds))[:-3]
Coding was set to ANSI and I simply saved as python. Then copied it to /home/user, became root and tried
Code:
chmod +x /home/user/uptime.py
But got "operation not permitted". Where did I fail?
Current Maemo Community Council member

Last edited by Win7Mac; 2012-10-07 at 15:13.

Yeah, i have the video play back bug too.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
The video play back thing has been discussed on this thread several times...You can simply open an audio file, close it and it will also empty instead of doing a reboot...

It isn't a bug but more of the way the dbus (IIRC) works for video titles...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
The video play back thing has been discussed on this thread several times...You can simply open an audio file, close it and it will also empty instead of doing a reboot...

ah okay, just bought the app, did not encounter this until someone talked about it just now. Anyway, I just remove the tag then since there's no solution to this. It's too bad that video and audio were not ' read' separately by the system and treated as the same thing otherwise, the solution can then just be ignoring video playback on the lps since nobody does that anyway, playing video while on standby.

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post

Thanks for the info.
Could you comment on the upime-script too, please?
Current Maemo Community Council member