Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
i just saw this:
Attached Images

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just repeating .. I'd like to ask one question: How would you guys like the community to look around Jolla SW/HW etc?
I for one, as I mentioned on twitter publicly, I am willing to provide any kind of expertise, or help needed pro-bono just so I can some how help the startup company that is focusing on what I like personally.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ashish-chapagain/1a/731/107

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
i just saw this:
Saw were? Of course this could be little more than an image shown in the default gallery, but if indeed it runs on N9, well, shut up and take my money

Brings me to an earlier statement, where they(?) said they can't do a release on the N9 because the N9 is Nokia's. They are wrong: the N9 I've laying here is mine, and it's me who decides which OS I want to install on it, not Nokia....

If their UX will be open, nothing should prevent it from being ported to N9, since Nemo is already runnable there.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Saw were? Of course this could be little more than an image shown in the default gallery, but if indeed it runs on N9, well, shut up and take my money

Brings me to an earlier statement, where they(?) said they can't do a release on the N9 because the N9 is Nokia's. They are wrong: the N9 I've laying here is mine, and it's me who decides which OS I want to install on it, not Nokia....
but in the same time you seem to forget that jolla also needs to make money. Means buy theyr upcoming product. Not Nokias products...

I think the community could have done so much more to polish n9 ui, and add missing or wanted features if there only was a more official and allowed ways to custom the ui. So if some parts of ui must be closed, still leave ways to add stuff more easily, like n9 stand by screen must now exploid carrier logo to show stuff.

And for the community should have a organized place to list ideas ie. for ui enhancements or feature reques, to anyone to add and which devs could pick something to work with. It could also have some vote ability too to raise important ones.

Closed UIs are a dead end. They die with companies who create them. UI should be open in order to withstand trial with time.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Just repeating .. I'd like to ask one question: How would you guys like the community to look around Jolla SW/HW etc?
I joined TMO after N900 so my experience is limited, but from the info we get now, I think the Maemo 5 community model will complement Jolla's business model very very well.

First of all, app store. I don't know whether Jolla has plan for an app store. My guess is no they don't, then the Maemo download and the community QA model would become the unofficial Jolla Store. This was what Apps for Meego initiative intended to be but never became. I really like Maemo 5's QA model, users gets more engagement, developers gets more direct response, and after all OVI QA didn't prove they are more competent than community QA. I think the community should try re-use the infrastructure for Apps for Meego and build on top of that, maybe integrate it into TMO so users can do single signon for both interface. For this initiative, Jolla needs to reveal their plan for the app ecosystem as early as possible and actively collaborate with the community.

The forum (including Wiki) interface is an essential part of to build up followers. The Maemo 5 wiki was a great example for crowd-sourcing support documentation. Being the spiritual successor of Maemo, it only makes sense that Jolla take advantage of the existing M* user base on TMO. I would like to see community council approach Jolla and try selling the idea that TMO can offload support work for Jolla and act as "Jolla Store" + "Jolla Community Support" + "Jolla Developer Forum." For the traction Jolla gets, they can in return partly sponsor the forum or other activities like community device program.

Last edited by sony123; 2012-07-08 at 21:51.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
but in the same time you seem to forget that jolla also needs to make money. Means buy theyr upcoming product. Not Nokias products...
You can buy software *without* hardware Of course, it should provide some real benefits over stock-Harmattan, but I wouldn't have any problem spending a few dozens of euros on software which prolongs the use of the N9 with say, a year or so.

I think it's stupid to buy new hardware just to get new software, which would run just fine on the old hardware.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Closed UIs are a dead end. They die with companies who create them. UI should be open in order to withstand trial with time.
I don't think there is (as of today) a mobile OS that's in production with a fully open UI.

Not even Harmattan's UI is fully open.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla