Active Topics

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
I got the GNURoot Debian Launch X option to "work", but it was so clumsy as to be worthless. So I use the nonX11 shell of GNURoot Debian, and display X11 stuff, when needed, with XServer XSDL (another app entirely). The combination is usable, but no where near as handy as an N900.

I should clarify that when I said GNURoot Debian drained the battery, even when Idle, it doesn't drain it rapidly. When idle, it seems to take about as much juice as "Google Play Services" (on a Nexus 5x). I'm just surprised that it burns power at all when I am not actively using it. I use iPython as my calculator, and I have lots of functions defined. With my N900, I can just leave an iPython shell running all the time, and it does not drain the battery at all.
Would you please explain what you did to get XServer XSDL to work. I had no luck with it.

Speaking of doing math I noticed that Maxima worked without a hitch on GNURoot. (Just had to use apt-get to install).
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
For what it is worth..
I have done a fairly exhaustive hunt myself ..
not just for linux handheld devices....
but virtually any umpc or handheld devices for that matter...
that have a physical mic in and audio out set of ports..
NOT a unified single mic/headphone port. (just soooo much of a pita...)
I am speaking primarily of utilizing real time effects processing (properly...we have a running kind of sloppy mess that kinda works..)
Shy of the raspberry pi utilizing the wolfson cape/card (pretty wicked actually)
Or a very old (rather out of stock ) audio cape with mic in audio out for the beaglebone black (no availability of that cape makes it rather useless)
there is the sony vaio vgn-ux series...which has a dedicated mic in and audio out set of ports...woohoo!
.which can run linux distros...
and has been mentioned here in this thread as an option...
BUT...I have read soooo much on the ux line and utilizing linux distros...
and though it is possible to run it on the ux models..all of the models have issues...primarily...what comes up as the the cripplers are
wifi issues...
touchscreen calibration...
, touchscreen accuracy...
(these last two bug me since using full linux fx processor progs..
hell...pretty much any progs..
on a screen so small and tight means touchscreen accuracy and compliance
(meaning where you try to precisely touch will actually BE where you touch) is freakin' dodgy...
to the point many people opt for keyboards and mice instead of fighting with the touchscreen...
soooo...
adding a ton more peripherals not because you CAN ...
but because you MUST...ticks me off..)
In all it ticks me off since the ux line looks/looked like the best option

I mentioned in the guitar effects thread..the new progs that droid has ..amplitube and irig for android..
sadly android and iphone both have pretty good real time effects processor apps ..(not as good as rak or jack rack or gtkgep even .. in my opinion ...just shiny and slick)
.and actual gear to hook it up proper...
which realllllyyyy pisses me off to no end...
hm.
well..I'm not desperate enough to use a droid or iphony ..
rather settle for our patchwork throw-together gtkgep until a gtkgep eureka or other prog happens..or a proper linux umpc shows itself capable...
there is my micro rant/edification/illumination on an aspect of this handheld easter egg hunt...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Thanks endso for the very useful writeup on the Uax series. I have been seriously considering it for the past two weeks, the only two things that put me off were the rather chunky size and the not-so-good battery life on the now rather archaic units. I was not even aware of the other issues you mention in your post, that was the last drop to sway me away from those.

Another thing I am currently considering is also Sony, the VAIO P series. Any info on those?

FWIW, I would not consider a combined mic-speakers port a problem per se. An adapter is a trivial thing to make, in the worst case. As far as I am concerned, the main problem with the combined ports is that the mic part of those is mono only. Not for me as I am not a big audio processor but in general. If it does not bother you, even better.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
I've always loved those VAIO P's pichlo Never owner one, but would sure love to

main problem with Linux is the Poulsbo driver .. big mess.

they are also quite old now

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Thanks endso for the very useful writeup on the Uax series. I have been seriously considering it for the past two weeks, the only two things that put me off were the rather chunky size and the not-so-good battery life on the now rather archaic units. I was not even aware of the other issues you mention in your post, that was the last drop to sway me away from those.

Another thing I am currently considering is also Sony, the VAIO P series. Any info on those?

FWIW, I would not consider a combined mic-speakers port a problem per se. An adapter is a trivial thing to make, in the worst case. As far as I am concerned, the main problem with the combined ports is that the mic part of those is mono only. Not for me as I am not a big audio processor but in general. If it does not bother you, even better.
A while back I had looked into the VAIO P series but eventually settled on getting a Lenovo Thinkpad and slapped ubuntu on it. Still wish I could buy a 4 to 5 inch slider that could run linux distro.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
I've always loved those VAIO P's pichlo Never owner one, but would sure love to

main problem with Linux is the Poulsbo driver .. big mess.

they are also quite old now
That is a Vaio P(ichlo)

I used to have a green one to play around. Very light and beautiful. But Atom processor is so weak and even lags playing video. I was expecting a weak performance but that was even below the expectation. Then I traded for a second hand Vaio UX...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
A while back I had looked into the VAIO P series but eventually settled on getting a Lenovo Thinkpad and slapped ubuntu on it. Still wish I could buy a 4 to 5 inch slider that could run linux distro.
For 4-5 inches slider, I will recommend the Sharp Willcom D4 (If you can get the driver for Linux, not sure for that.) And Sony Vaio UX (The ultimate gadget on its time)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
BUT...I have read soooo much on the ux line and utilizing linux distros...
and though it is possible to run it on the ux models..all of the models have issues...primarily...what comes up as the the cripplers are
wifi issues...
touchscreen calibration...
, touchscreen accuracy...
(these last two bug me since using full linux fx processor progs..
hell...pretty much any progs..
on a screen so small and tight means touchscreen accuracy and compliance
(meaning where you try to precisely touch will actually BE where you touch) is freakin' dodgy...
to the point many people opt for keyboards and mice instead of fighting with the touchscreen...
As a owner of two Vaio UX 280P.... you're quite wrong.

I run Gentoo regularly and I'm yet to experience a Wi-Fi problem. Heck, my second/main UX 280P has a GSM radio and I also use it without much problem.

Touchscreen precision+accuracy is second to none. It's a _resistive_ screen, after all. Better than almost anything you can find on the market today.

Obviously, it requires a stylus though.

But my primary input method is without a doubt the _track point_. Oh god what a wonderful invention it is, for that form factor. I end up using even for non-precision input (e.g. scrolling).

Curiously enough, I almost never use the track point on laptops... but on the Vaio UX, it does make a difference.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Hmm... Now e have two conflicting opinions on the VAIO UX. We need another one for 2 out of 3.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
How about the Panasonic Toughbook CF-U1 ?

Currently quite cheap second hand on ebay as there's a load of them being disposed from ex-utility company use.

Chunky but built like a brick outhouse - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-...IAAOSwTapV5v~D

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:

Tags
f*ck apple, f*ck google, f*ck microsoft, gnu telephony, gnu/linux, linux deploy