Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by akccollins View Post
After 18 months careful use, only charging up once daily and occasionally connecting to a computer I have finally broken the usb port by tripping over the lead. When I unplugged the charger, the female part of the usb port came away with it. Any idea how much it will cost to repair in the UK?
You should still be under warranty in the UK (2 years under EU regulations) so I'd try that first (though they may well not have any N900s to replace it with now).

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by poetbyday View Post
Alas! My beloved N900 has been put out of commission Too! My short term solution is to buy an external battery charger.. however I have been reading bits about some brands not charging the battery? Can anyone verify this, I don't want to buy one online i.e. ebay only to discover it doesn't charge my battery and I'll still be stuck with my purely function nokia old model cell.
Hey, I read that some of them either didn't work at all, or wouldn't charge the batteries properly. The link for the charger that I brought is below, also a link for a spare battery (which is really handy to charge one and use the other) till you get it fixed.

The charger has USB and micro plug, which is handy for using the other Nokia chargers as well as the USB one. Both battery and charger were delivered next day (UK) and both work great (for me). Hope that helps...

Desktop charger

Spare Battery

The Following User Says Thank You to davedickson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 85 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dunfermline, Scotland
Just taken my N900 into Nokia Care as the USB port is hanging out

They said they would have to send it away as it's a "Level 3" repair and they are only qualified to deal with "Level 2". I asked what are the chances of me getting the N900 back and after looking at the computer for a while said that Nokia would probably offer me a different handset.

I've had the device since January 2010 and have become used to having a hackable Linux box with me everywhere I go. In retrospect, should probably have not taken it in and got out a soldering iron instead.

<UPDATE> They gave me an N8

Last edited by philheaton; 2011-07-15 at 12:42. Reason: update

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by philheaton View Post
Just taken my N900 into Nokia Care as the USB port is hanging out

They said they would have to send it away as it's a "Level 3" repair and they are only qualified to deal with "Level 2". I asked what are the chances of me getting the N900 back and after looking at the computer for a while said that Nokia would probably offer me a different handset.

I've had the device since January 2010 and have become used to having a hackable Linux box with me everywhere I go. In retrospect, should probably have not taken it in and got out a soldering iron instead.
Demand an N9

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Bump!!

Anybody out there with a longterm solution, i am willing to pay!!

Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
Hey, I read that some of them either didn't work at all, or wouldn't charge the batteries properly. The link for the charger that I brought is below, also a link for a spare battery (which is really handy to charge one and use the other) till you get it fixed.

The charger has USB and micro plug, which is handy for using the other Nokia chargers as well as the USB one. Both battery and charger were delivered next day (UK) and both work great (for me). Hope that helps...

Desktop charger

Spare Battery
Thanks Dave, your link is similar too this I found from a HK/Chinese seller on ebay, do you think it will work the same as the deal is better, or perhaps it's a copy and not quality merchandise?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2944wt_1139

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Finland
I'm taking my N900 to receive service today; the port is not physically broken despite feeling slightly loose, but the phone sometimes does not even indicate being charged, sometimes does indicate yet not charge, and sometimes it is charging yet suddenly may turn off.

I hope I get an E7 or something instead, so I can sell it and buy 2 used N900s.

Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
You should still be under warranty in the UK (2 years under EU regulations) so I'd try that first (though they may well not have any N900s to replace it with now).
You are quite right, I took it to a Nokia care centre. It was sent back to Nokia and I am told that an N8 is winging its way back to me. I just have to work out if I can use the data that was backed up on my memory card.

Originally Posted by poetbyday View Post
Thanks Dave, your link is similar too this I found from a HK/Chinese seller on ebay, do you think it will work the same as the deal is better, or perhaps it's a copy and not quality merchandise?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2944wt_1139
To be honest i think all the chargers/batteries will be cheap knock-offs (well the battery link I gave you before was a genuine one - just second hand).

I guess its up to you, I took a chance on the charger and its works, but who knows, you could order the same one as me and it could be rubbish. You just never know with some ebay sellers.

If it were me I would use the links I provided and pay the little extra because someone (me) has used the seller/item before, even still it could be a risk. Or go for the one you posted and take the chance up to you.... let us know if you do order from the one you posted and if it works, then others will know to buy that one instead (because you right it is a better deal).

Personally I would use "real" batteries as it could damage your device, thats why I went for a second hand genuine one.

Has anyone else had the same issue (mine was broken USB and bright white spots on the screen):

After speaking to the Nokia Repair Centre on the phone, they said I could take my N900 to the local repair centre....when I get there they said it wasn't under warrenty so I would have to send it to the main Nokia Repair Centre by post.

I phoned up again and confirmed it was under warrenty (until Novemeber) and sent it off recorded delivery (on Thursday last week).

Today, I have recieved an N8 in the post, with a cover letter saying "as a gesture of goodwill, we have upgraded your device" blah blah blah...

I have just phoned the Nokia Repair Centre back, and asked why I have recieved the N8 instead of my repaired N900, the women on the phone was useless and said she was passing the matter on to some team or other who would call me back in 3-5 business days, to sort out my request???

I'm sorry there shouldn't be any need for the following:

1) Send me to a Local Repair Centre, that can't fix my device
2) Send me the wrong device in return
3) Try and sling some bull that "we have upgraded your device, as a gesture of goodwill" (the N8 is a downgrade at best) and actually more like a kick in the balls than a goodwill gesture
4) Pass me onto "some other team" within the Nokia Repair Centre to deal with my request
5) Make me wait ANOTHER 3-5 days for someone to call me back, to sort the issue out??

How difficult is it to receive a broken device (which is still under warrenty), repair it and send it back??

Sorry about the rant, but I just needed to vent!!!

Has anyone else had to deal with this bull, and if so how was it dealt with and what was the outcome?

I faught to get the N900, faught to getting it working half the time, and now I'm having to fight to get it back! I'm starting to question whether it is worth all the effort

Shame on you Nokia! Although if you give me a shiny new N9 then all will be forgiven

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty