Active Topics

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Melbourne
Originally Posted by sonicer View Post
What would you've said when it had shipped and you were sleeping the whole day?
"snoring" as it happens?

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden, Stockholm
Latest from Maemo

They say that the delay was because they fixed many bugs and added some new features to the N900.
They also said that the 9th of November was nothing official and are wondering why Nokia UK would give out such information, based on.. nothing.

Anyway here is the list:

* The N900 has now been vaccined against the pig flue.

* The N900 will bring you your towel if you forgot to take it with you to the shower.

* The N900 can now swim.

* The N900 will walk your dogs. (thanks for developers on maemo.org for integrating google maps)

* The N900 can speak braille.

* The N900s calculator can now divide by zero

* The N900 will be able to run Crysis on max settings, and support DirectX 11

* The N900 does not run on batteries, it just runs.

* The N900s screen is now both resistive and capacitive.

* The N900 alarm functions has been updated, the sound will get higher if you don't stop it, then it will start slapping you.

* The N900 supports dual graphic cards.

* The N900 has an in-built printer.

* The N900 can access the web without Internet connection.

* The N900 is no longer weak against green kryptonite.

These are the latest fixes that Peter and the lads have been working on. Its inside information, don't ask for sources. You will have to trust me on this one.

UPDATE: * The N900 can bend space time to be released on every announced date at once, in the past, while being released in 2010

Last edited by zico; 2009-11-09 at 21:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zico For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by bigbrovar View Post
Here is a tweet i got from some dude called Chanse Arrington

@bigbrovar  @bdogg64  Nokia hasn't announced a NAM date, why are you blaming us for you believing a date we didn't say?
chansearrington  - 18 mins ago - Tweetie - in reply to  

http://twitter.com/chansearrington/status/5568931040

@lichmd  @EverythingBlaxx  @bigbrovar  @bdogg64  You guys are absolutely ridiculous Here's nokia not being silent. It's coming as soon as we can
chansearrington  - 9 mins ago - Tweetie - in reply to  http://twitter.com/chansearrington/status/5569166492
Sound like someone put a Flamethrower up his arse!

You forgot one:

* The N900 can bend space time to be released on every announced date at once, in the past, while being released in 2010

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by zico View Post
Latest from Maemo

They say that the delay was because they fixed many bugs and added some new features to the N900.
They also said that the 9th of November was nothing official and are wondering why Nokia UK would give out such information, based on.. nothing.

Anyway here is the list:

* The N900 has now been vaccined against the pig flue.

* The N900 will bring you your towel if you forgot to take it with you to the shower.

* The N900 can now swim.

* The N900 will walk your dogs. (thanks for developers on maemo.org for integrating google maps)

* The N900 can speak braille.

* The N900s calculator can now divide by zero

* The N900 will be able to run Crysis on max settings, and support DirectX 11

* The N900 does not run on batteries, it just runs.

* The N900s screen is now both resistive and capacitive.

* The N900 alarm functions has been updated, the sound will get higher if you don't stop it, then it will start slapping you.

* The N900 supports dual graphic cards.

* The N900 has an in-built printer.

* The N900 can access the web without Internet connection.

* The N900 is no longer weak against green kryptonite.

These are the latest fixes that Peter and the lads have been working on. Its inside information, don't ask for sources. You will have to trust me on this one.
Ahhh, I trust you. Got a date!

I really don't think Peter knows so much about the release date.
He's just only a marketing manager, not the R&D product manager or something more important for the product.

I believe only very very few persons knows when it will get released.

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
Just found this on a seperate forum

http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/noki...athrow-t5.html

Summary below, I will update you when I have been down to the Regent St store next week and tried it for myself

I've also just come back from the Regent Street flagship store. Only one demo N900, in the hands of one of the employees there, who watched me like a hawk in case I drop it or break it in some way. I was never a big fan of the N900, just not the right type of phone for me, and what I saw did not change my opinion at all. Too big for me and at the same time surprisingly light and flimsy to the touch for its size - I personally did not get the feel of solid quality build, especially with the screen covered in prints, which I had difficulties getting rid of even after extensive efforts to rub them off with the sleeve of my fleece. The impression I am left with is of a grubby plasticky cheap feeling handset which I could hardly wait to hand back to the anxious sales rep. An hour later I met up with a friend who has an Omnia HD - completely different class with regard to the visual and tactile aspect when handling it. After handing back the N900 I went off to have another look at the E75 - it was like night and day, why can't they give the N-series the same feel of quality like the E-series ?! I have to say that for my next phone I will not be quitting Nokia, but I will be giving up on the N-series. Sod the large touchscreen if it feels and acts no better than the 15-pound throwaway Samsung I have for lending out to visiting friends and family from abroad.

I specifically asked whether the unit is with the final release version of the firmware and they said yes. Well, sorry guys, but it didn't feel any faster going through the menus than my 5800. There was even the embarassing moment of waiting for a game (I think Bounce) to launch for so long that the screensaver kicked in and the display went dark. I didn't really fiddle that much with it, since I was never too interested in it in the first place, plus my first impressions were not very positive either (in case you didn't get that so far - ) so I'll leave that to Micky and others who will have the actual phones in hand - soon I hope.

What might be of interest to the forum members is that apparently the N900 will be exclusively available only the flagship stores in conjunction with Mobile Phones Direct for at least two months after release (which I was told would be "any day this month") - no handsets will be offered neither direct by networks nor by other merchants like CPW or P4U. So whatever contracts will be offered by MPD, that will be it until some time in January 2010. There was even a MPD rep in store, who confirmed that.
OK, after the excitement of this thread today and the disappointment of the delivery dates or lack of them, I decided that I had to go see and actually hold a n900, sort of cheer myself up a bit. You will be glad to hear that I mostly disagree with the post above...
First things first, I thought the build quality was good, the device had a nice solid feel to it, definately not plasticky or light. The keyboard had good size buttons, which did feel a bit plastic, but it slid out nicely with no travel and I didn't feel like I would break it with use

I was pleasantly suprised by the size, small it isn't, but it is by no means the brick that I have heard it called by some, and yes it is 'pocketable' - which for me is important..

The screen was top notch, nice and clear, though the UI will take a bit of getting used to, I was thinking that it didn't feel responsive at all until I realised that I wasn't pressing hard enough!!
I had to scroll down through the list of wireless networks, so the wireless chip obviously works and seems to be picking up lots of networks

The 4 desktops are a nice touch that I can see me making alot of use of. Im not sure over the UI - in places it was really slick, and felt fast, I kept opening as many windows as I could find, and I loved the task switcher, pure genius. But at times it was really laggy, and I could have had a snooze while waiting for ovi maps to open - I have no idea what firmware revision the phone was on, maybe that was an issue, but lag it did in places and badly...

Overall, I was impressed, and it was good to actually touch one and have a go using it, though I left the store wanting it even more than I did before I went in..

No MPD rep in store and the nokia guy seemed pretty clueless about it in general apart from it will be out next week, but Id take that with a pinch of salt...

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello, New users start here, Community subforum , Beginners'wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Last edited by edgedemon; 2009-11-09 at 22:01.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edgedemon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by x61 View Post
Who cares when the N900 gets shipped. I'm still enjoying my N95
Well, that one I sold, when I read that n900 will be out in sept/oct ! Now I'm stuck with the lovely SE K320i, with all its awesomeness x|

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I think it's all a clever ruse to smoke out the people who aren't truly in love with the n900 - anyone who dares criticise will receive a Nokla KIRF device instead and a refund if they ordered, so that only the true believers worthy of the n900 will get one
:-D

Originally Posted by 11/(14-17)/09 View Post
You forgot one:

* The N900 can bend space time to be released on every announced date at once, in the past, while being released in 2010
Sound like the N900 can now roundhouse kick ?

Tags
bumped by idiot?, impatience, n900 release, strange