Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
i am feeling bullish on Nokia stock. this baby will hit $40 in few years, like other good tech stocks. No reason why not. WP is getting a good name in USA and gaining traction. MS and NOKIA are together for a long run. I just bought some more at $7.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Let's say that going WP was the right choice. Now convince me that announcing it one year before baving anything to show was worth it. And that not selling the N9 everywhere while there were still no Lumias was the right choice. And that not waiting to launch on WP8 directly was correct. And not allowing first-gen lumias to upgrade was sane (which could clearly be done, Wp8 on HD2 is a testament to that), and not bringing loved features like lpm earlier was ok, and marketing Lumias to teenagers alienating the traditional Nokia userbase was the correct course of action.

And many more... (europe vs US targeting, old hardware specs, abusing PureView name etc.)
The goal and effect of the announcement is debatable. In a large organization like NOKIA, the regular MBA school will teach you that you need to align everyone in the organization towards a new goal. Elop saw that in house software was not competitive, and his announcement was not unexpected. Every other company has dropped Symbian way before Elop announced it. He probably had internal sales figures that showed huge declines in China and India and an ominous trend downwards. He took a risk. You got to take a risk. He and the board (remember, he discussed everything with the board, these were NOT one man decisions) decided that this is a way to go, align everyone to one direction and forge a new path. His new job after that was to try and compete. NOKIA already lost way too many years wasting it on touchscreen Symbian, and in this biz, 6 months makes you obsolete. So he had incredible disadvantage moving forward with a new OS. Interestingly, they were considering Android at the end, whether this was a bluff to get MS to pay more, who knows. NOKIA is an example of a company that could not adapt to current market conditions fast enough. Nothing to do with Elop, all had to do with antecedent factors that held NOKIA in the first place.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
i am feeling bullish on Nokia stock. this baby will hit $40 in few years, like other good tech stocks. No reason why not.
I certainly hope so, but I believe that we need to pull out of the current recession before that happens. That might be longet than a few years in happening.

WP is getting a good name in USA and gaining traction. MS and NOKIA are together for a long run. I just bought some more at $7.
You have misunderstood what has happened. WP might go up or it might go down, but luckily as of last tuesday that is not our concern any longer. MS goes it's own way and does what it does but is has nothing to do with Nokia any more.
Nokia is free to pursue other paths now, free of the NMP ballast.

i am feeling bullish on Nokia stock. this baby will hit $40 in few years, like other good tech stocks. No reason why not. WP is getting a good name in USA and gaining traction. MS and NOKIA are together for a long run. I just bought some more at $7.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Man, you are really phuckin' stupid.

Ah hahahaha

Somehow I just felt these two comments really belonged together

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post

Nokia is free to pursue other paths now, free of the NMP ballast.

This the both the crux of it and the whatever twinkle of light left for Nokia.

All the pus gathered during both OPK's and Elop's mismanagement can be drawn out. Maybe, just maybe, in a decade or so it will be seen like early 90's for Nokia, ie. near death before phoenix like rise. The rational part of me might disagree, but Nokia has reborn so many times during its history...hope.

At least they are free of OPK era bureacracy and Elop's Microsoft death grip now.

WP is getting a good name in USA and gaining traction.
You forget that I also live in the US. No, WP is not getting a good name in the US.

And besides, the US is a rather small and oddly controlled one at that (carrier control). WP is not favored here in the US; only the 41mp camera seems to be favored and that's a favorable feature, not the OS or anything to do with Microsoft.

No one is saying that they are not free to pursue what they want. They are and that is why this stock has a good potential. Is there any other tech company like Nokia left in Europe? They will get a lot of support both in talent and contracts.

WP is doing better in US than blackberry....just saw Lumia 1520....definitely a buy for me.

No one is saying that they are not free to pursue what they want. They are and that is why this stock has a good potential. Is there any other tech company like Nokia left in Europe? They will get a lot of support both in talent and contracts.

WP is doing better in US than blackberry....just saw Lumia 1520....definitely a buy for me.
Dude, my phone that I drew on a napkin and threw away 4 years ago is doing better than BlackBerry at this moment. Not sure what your point is on that - because I have one? Meh, it was free. Send me a 1520 for free, I'll use that. Deal?

Anyway, besides continuing discussion the race for who's in last ad nauseum, Nokia is not doing better in the US. Their growth was everywhere other than the US - but going from 2.1% to 6.0% and higher is "growth"... but it's still way less than what Apple or Google has. In fact, it's (in some areas) less than what BlackBerry has. Congrats, WP is gaining what BlackBerry has lost. But not much more than that.

Race for last indeed.

Nokia stock has potential as long as they keep public what the non-Microsoft owned parts are doing and how they were the parts that kept Nokia afloat. It wasn't the handset division which effectively was only useful to Microsoft.

In fact, I'm still waiting to see who's going to come out with a Windows Phone 8 phone besides Nokia now. Nobody else has anything in a company that's still doing well. HTC, going downhill and the 8X can be found for very cheap unlocked. Samsung has Tizen and Android keeping them busy, so WP8 is probably not even going to be released. LG gave up on WP8. There are no more, so having Nokia being 90% of that platform sales isn't really anything special.

It's like saying that 90% of your **** floats when 10% doesn't. It's still ****.

I think you are looking short term. Yes, IOS and android dominate. No doubt about it. There is still money to be made as a third producer and MS, does have money , soon new leadership and they do have an ecosystem. Nokia is likely to benefit from it if it succeeds. It will. WP has limitations, but its close to idiot proof like IOS and will gather steam. Nokia will be a beneficiary too. Will top 40 in 5 years, if willing to wait, not a bad investment.

I think you are looking short term. Yes, IOS and android dominate. No doubt about it. There is still money to be made as a third producer and MS, does have money...
They have money, but so far their mobile OS has been a money pit. And I'm thinking long term. Both Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 have not seen adoption rates that Microsoft would have anticipated just a scant few years ago.

There's a decline in desktops, a very slight increase in smartphones and tablets and Microsoft has yet to figure out how to make both of those truly turnaround. Long term starts with long-reaching plans. Ballmer apparently had a vote of no-confidence and thus, his plans are now gone.

...soon new leadership and they do have an ecosystem. Nokia is likely to benefit from it if it succeeds.
Disagree. Nokia is helpful to Microsoft due to being the premier and seemingly soon-to-be only manufacturer of Windows Phone 8 phones. New leadership might do what Elop did at Nokia, strike down all that was before it, reverse some of the stuff going on now, spin off divisions that aren't pulling their weight and drop past commitments.

Elop's rumored talks of spinning off Xbox and Bing are just a snowflake on the iceberg. Let's see what happens. People inside of Microsoft that I know are hearing weirder rumors than that.

Let's just say my wish for desktop/server OS/UI, tablet OS/UI, mobile OS/UI might happen the way I truly thought it should have since Windows Vista. No more desktop mode for Surface... please be true.

I sold my Microsoft stock years ago; never saw fit to re-invest. I lived through the golden years, put aside a nice bit of money, rode with Microsoft for almost a decade. Picked up Apple in 1999, riding with them for the last 14 years. Doing well. Nokia, I bought in, sold 11% above what I bought in at, walked away never to repeat it either.

Missed out on Google though. Too expensive to start, too expensive to get in now. Microsoft is not a safe long bet at all. Decline in too many areas - servers, desktop and tablets and mobile. Naw, I think you're huffing glue thinking otherwise...

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha