Active Topics

been trying to install for days, searched all the threads can not find a solution.

Using the DEb image installer go through the set up. it happily find img then i get system error "cannot reset system swap. Please close all applications & try again."

Unable to post log as the x term closes

do not know how to close apps as none are open

The Following User Says Thank You to axuy09 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Rome, Italy
Hi everybody, I'm having some troubles and didn't find the answer, so far. I usually work with Easy Debian, but yesterday wanted to try Ubuntu. After installing I successfully opened it, but when I clicked on the menu button, many applications that I usually have with Easy Debian, were missing from drop-down menus.

I uninstalled Ubuntu and rebooted: but when I opened Easy Debian, the menu now had the same missing applications on the menu. It's not that the programs have been deleted: if I activate - for example 'Evince' - from command line or control panel, the application opens properly: it simply doesn't appear on the menu.

I tried many times to completely uninstall Debian LXDE from the app manager, and to download anew the 2 gb image: but no matter what i do, the Easy Debian menu doesn't return to its original default configuration.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Domenico

The Following User Says Thank You to Dominic71 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Domenico: I bet your problem is in your home directory somewhere, maybe in the .config directory... Does anyone know where the menus are stored?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
axuy09: So you, like others, have a widget or something that blocks the resetting of swap.

I guess I could let people like you proceed, with a warning, "Because swap could not be reset, this will take a long time and may cause your phone to reboot"...

I think I need to experiment with just zipping the image and using gnome-vfs to unzip it? But I don't even know how to do that...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I think I need to experiment with just zipping the image and using gnome-vfs to unzip it? But I don't even know how to do that...
According to http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/130834 it should be something like

Code:
gnomevfs-cat file:///path/tararchive.tar#tar:filename.fil > /path/myfilname.fil
to extract filename.fil from tararchive.tar and copy it to /path/myfilname.fil.

If you want to have gzip also, should be

Code:
gnomevfs-cat file:///path/tararchive.tar.gzip#gzip:#tar:filename.fil > /path/myfilname.fil
Both definitely work on my n900.

Last edited by debernardis; 2011-05-31 at 14:23.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Domenico: I bet your problem is in your home directory somewhere, maybe in the .config directory... Does anyone know where the menus are stored?
Thanks Qole,

I'm using Filebox to browse the whole .config folder, and to edit/open every conf file I find: there's some 'lxde' folder, as well as a 'menu' folder but, so far, no luck with the Easy Debian menu. : (

Domenico

Originally Posted by Dominic71 View Post
Thanks Qole,

I'm using Filebox to browse the whole .config folder, and to edit/open every conf file I find: there's some 'lxde' folder, as well as a 'menu' folder but, so far, no luck with the Easy Debian menu. : (

Domenico
Actually, above the home directory there's a '.debian' folder: is it safe to completely delete it? I was going to do it, but now i can see it contains too many references to the Maemo OS: it seems dangerous to delete it, but still can't figure why a .debian directory contains Maemo-specific data.

Domenico

debernardis: what kind of times are you getting? does the tar / gzip process seem to go quickly?

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
According to http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/130834 it should be something like

Code:
gnomevfs-cat file:///path/tararchive.tar#tar:filename.fil > /path/myfilname.fil
to extract filename.fil from tararchive.tar and copy it to /path/myfilname.fil.

If you want to have gzip also, should be

Code:
gnomevfs-cat file:///path/tararchive.tar#gzip:#tar:filename.fil > /path/myfilname.fil
Both definitely work on my n900.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
debernardis: what kind of times are you getting? does the tar / gzip process seem to go quickly?
Well, let me prepare my n900 for such a suicide mission... backupmenu + full backup of MyDocs need some time

In the meantime I downloaded debian-m5e from your server, un-lzma-ed and tar-gzipped it giving a 534541737 bytes beast.

When everything is ready, I'll try to uncompress it with gnomevfs-cat on my MyDocs partition, and I'll give the time *if* my N900 is still alive and well after the effort.

EDIT1: started... cpu is completely pegged of course. Too bad I didn't get it online before starting, at least I could try ssh'ing in.

EDIT2: screen is black and can't be revived by usual methods. How do I know it's still alive?

EDIT3: Attached the charger cord, nokia logo shows up... it wasn't alive after all Watchdogs must have killed the thing after finding the cpu too much engaged in decompressing.

POST-MORTEM: optfs seems ok, decompressed file has been created but is zero bytes length - now fsck'ing MyDocs (must be something sick inside, I guess).

MyDocs is ok, surprisingly.

What next?

Last edited by debernardis; 2011-05-31 at 15:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
It sounds like you are saying that decompression via gnome-vfs is just as problematic as lzma. So that isn't the magic bullet.

I guess I'll tweak the installer to only use the swap reset hack if the image is on the MyDocs partition, and I'll strongly encourage people to put their image file on a fast SD card.

Honestly, with 8GB SD cards so inexpensive these days, it shouldn't be a problem to just buy an SD card and run Easy Debian on there.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze