Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Say that again:

https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202514138
Ah well, @r0kk3rz beat me to it.
If you had managed to read thru the aforementioned article you'd seen that to get to the recovery console you need to input the device PIN.

Granted, you are probably able to brute-force it, given there are probably just 00000...99999 -> 100k combinations there. (I don't remember if it allows use of longer lock code...)

So, assuming you build a small HW adapter that you can use to power-down/power-up the device automatically when it halts due to 3 wrong try's, and hook it up to a script trying to force it.
Let's say you will discover it on average by the 50000's try;
If it takes about 30 seconds to boot, and you can try 3 numbers per round, you will hit the right combo in 30/3*50000 seconds, that is actually a little more than 5 days and 18 hours.

So, yes, it is breakable if you want to invest a bit into it

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Yes it does ...
In fact I love this cartoon...
explains things best nowadays..
but ...
from "the Christian Science Monitor" ?!?!?!
CSM are actually highly respected. 7 Pulitzer prizes isn't to be sniffed at...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ch...cience_Monitor

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeHG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
How many "mortal person" security issues are exactly prevented with full device encryption? Virtually the only ones I can think of are the of the "government employee with nation-wide secrets" variety, where the attackers care enough to actually desolder eMMC chips. But for those you have to take into consideration how probable it is for a government-level agency to be able to break any crypto you throw at them...

This is the reason most known "privacy-unfriendly" (*cough*) are quite happy to offer full device encryption. It thwarts almost no one.
By the same reasoning, what's the point of locking my car. Or my front door. It thwarts almost no one.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Norway
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
At least this part:

Additionally, I have come into possession of a Facebook post shared with what I assume are prospective corporate customers, in which Turing's CEO claims the company has bought a manufacturing facility ("ex-Microsoft ex-Nokia") in Finland to produce its devices.

I'm not aware of any such facility been bought or sold here. Nokia's manufacturing facilities were shut down years ago and with it went big part of contractors supplying that factory. I'm not aware of any other facility here that would be ready to build such devices in mass.
BTW: Puzzlephone also state they will manufacture in Finland.

The Following User Says Thank You to hhbbap For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by hhbbap View Post
Forgive the potentially ignorant question; but I thought the crowdfunding endeavor failed? Did they secure funding elsewhere?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Ah well, @r0kk3rz beat me to it.
If you had managed to read thru the aforementioned article you'd seen that to get to the recovery console you need to input the device PIN.

Granted, you are probably able to brute-force it, given there are probably just 00000...99999 -> 100k combinations there. (I don't remember if it allows use of longer lock code...)

So, assuming you build a small HW adapter that you can use to power-down/power-up the device automatically when it halts due to 3 wrong try's, and hook it up to a script trying to force it.
Let's say you will discover it on average by the 50000's try;
If it takes about 30 seconds to boot, and you can try 3 numbers per round, you will hit the right combo in 30/3*50000 seconds, that is actually a little more than 5 days and 18 hours.

So, yes, it is breakable if you want to invest a bit into it
What I forgot to mention, the same procedure works also on an iPhone that has full memory encryption enabled;
http://blog.mdsec.co.uk/2015/03/brut...nlock.html?m=1

So that much for security. huh...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,717 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Seriously guys... forget about all the security and encryption stuff...

Why can't be just be happy that a company actually choose Sailfish OS instead of Android?

It's the first licensed High end device using Sailfish OS.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Forgive the potentially ignorant question; but I thought the crowdfunding endeavor failed? Did they secure funding elsewhere?
They have received funding from European Union and Tekes

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hhbbap View Post
Yes, I noticed that. Tried to look up where that plant would be, there is also conflicting statement in their web page about it - in one page they say made in Finland, but on the other page it's designed in Finland and made in Europe. So I really don't know, however, there has been no information about changes in ownership of manufacturing plants. Perhaps if/when volumes are very small, they can be manufactured here in some of the smaller factories.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
They have received funding from European Union and Tekes
Thank you. Totally missed this somehow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone