Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
You do understand that in the 5-step-plan, only step 5 would be a mass-market product that is ready for the average end user. step 4 ist not considered ready for the mass market (or the typical end user). - this is where your analogy fails: yes, every consumer electronic product is a step to the next... but only very few are designed to not reach the mass market, to not please the crowds, to be an incomplete concept device for geeks and enthusiasts. This is the one point that you didn't get.
I understand why Nokia marketing lie, that is their job. But why do you lie for them?

If Nokia think that the N900 is not ready for mass market, don't you think that this very important bit of information should appear somewhere on this page? http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
investing to fremantle wouldn't probably have been realistic option even without meego

probably not, but this is exactly what I mean when I talk about step 4. early EOSL is not what I'd say because appearance of harmattan would have EOSL:d fremantle at the same point or even earlier.
So you're logic is that either way, N900 users would have been been left out to dry so we're no better or worse with MeeGo or Harmattan. I guess I should be more careful next time.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
You do understand that in the 5-step-plan, only step 5 would be a mass-market product that is ready for the average end user. step 4 ist not considered ready for the mass market (or the typical end user). - this is where your analogy fails: yes, every consumer electronic product is a step to the next... but only very few are designed to not reach the mass market, to not please the crowds, to be an incomplete concept device for geeks and enthusiasts. This is the one point that you didn't get.
Not designed for mass market has nothing to do with it. This thread isn't about having to revert to terminal for a setting or having to use on-device backup. This isn't about not having PC Suite support. This is about removing support and refusing to patched closed source.

Additionally, defending utter scre*youfullness as step this of that is an excuse and nothing more. I am on my way to beating iPhone in terms of sales. That's step 2 of 2. Until then, my middle finger is step one. Only 600€.

A stepstone product is expected to lack implementation. You know, like no USSD, no MMS, functions without UI, stuff like that. It doesn't imply that it's going to be killed off. There is no reason for a company the size of Nokia to not allow a few good men to keep polishing a product.

I simply can't understand why people associate a released product announced as one in a series to be ephemeris incarnate.

"Your honor, I don't think I should pay child support, because this was always child 4/5, it was a test and, really, I simply wanted to see how it goes. I know we gave it a name and all, but we decided to focus our resources on the little one. Oh, and, the first 3? Them too. Oh, and, we want them abandoned, because they're ours and we decide its fate. No adoptions."

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Matan
I understand why Nokia marketing lie, that is their job. But why do you lie for them?

If Nokia think that the N900 is not ready for mass market, don't you think that this very important bit of information should appear somewhere on this page? http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/
So what should they say there? "If you are only interested in devices that will be sold in millions, please go away thx bye!"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by ironm8 View Post

About the price, lets use logic. Palm Pre was out at about the time and had under its hood more or less the same hardware as the N900.
Same goes for the Droid/Milestone. All those had the same price tag more or less. So no, we didnt get a "beta" discount.
I think this is an unfair comparison.
1. The N900 had 32GB of flash memory. Even today a 32GB ?SD costs about 100?
2. We are talking about Nokia pricing (High end Nokias at least here are always a bit overpriced) For example the N900 was all the way cheaper than the less capable N97 and for a long time on par with the N97 mini price (8gb)

so maybe we did get a beta discount after all...

btw today on amazon it costs the equivalent of 267?
________
Head Shop

Last edited by qwazix; 2011-08-21 at 10:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
...I never heard of a $600+ device from any other brand with such lousy and short lived support.
There are countless other examples. Samsung Omnia HD immediately came to my mind.....

The Following User Says Thank You to casketizer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
....but by contrast, Android has seemed like the best of the bunch with far less closed source in Android than Maemo has ever had
I hold high hopes for MeeGo, but it's quite likely to be the last opportunity Nokia may ever get from me if they fail to produce something that fails to hold my interest in something unlocked, open-sourced and unencumbered. Maemo was sold to me that way and fell far short of my expectations--and likely far short of many of the people that had bought into it before, too, seeing as how a lot of them aren't here anymore.
I have to disagree with the first point. The parts of android 2.x that are closed may be fewer, but they hurt much more than those on M5. At least for me. Call Recodring is just the prime example and what held me back from buying a Galaxy S based phone.

I mostly do agree with the last part. If Meego gets the same treatment as N900, Nokia is dead for me.
If the N9 wouldnt look so promising, Nokia holding back Flash10 would have already made N900 my last Nokia.

Symbian is dead for me anyway. N95 was the last good Symbian device. Omnia HD had potential but Samsung blew it just like Nokia with N97 & Co. N8 is somewhat better but I guess they will never get the combo TouchUI and Symbian right.

With all its little problems and shitty manufacturer support there is not a single alternative to N900 for me at the moment.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to casketizer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post

It looks like you took those words just out of my mouth.
I cant agree more.

I just want to add that if you'll just open your eyes and have a look around you'll come to realize that the N900 was marketed in places like India and Europe.
There is no official Nokia Advertisment about n900 thats says, even in the tiny print at the end that this is a step 4/5.
For me this is FRAUD.

I did my research, but how many were pushed into buying that 600$ device just because the salesman told them the specs. Now how many of they werent disappointed.
People with money, usually go to the store to buy things. Smartphones included. They know what sounds good and what isnt.
So in just about every prespective the N900 sounds great(except wg. maybe). Had they know that when trying to update to PR1.3 they had to get their device flashed(using NOKIAs OVI), would they still buy it? doubt it.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post

You proved his point. Did you actually read the page? Very first word:

RAW

It says it again in the first paragraph. And no where does it say smartphone or use the word phone at all. But it does use the phrase "mobile computer" a few times. And look at the bottom right of the image. Know what that is? It's a fvckin' stylus.

Wow, pretty mainstream and non-geeky for late-2009.

some many victims of Stockholm Syndrome here

if you had a negative experience with the N900, dont waste your time to convincing the evangelists here otherwise, just STOP buying Nokia products and work to convince your real lie social network not to buy them too. That is your ONLY right as a consumer in the market place.

Arguing is just a waste of time, Nokia doesnt give a toss about what is written here. They have your $$$ this time. Dont let them have it next time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:

Tags
fat lady, hardly knew ya, ignore list, needs locking, troll party, trollercoaster, trolololo, wawawaaaa., whinge fest