Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by zwer View Post

The fact is that you are an idiot, prove me otherwise.

You should've paid more attention on science classes in your school days, that's the first thing you learn about science, and that is the prime reason why science works (and ultimately brings us goodies such as N900).

You may claim that it's safe to assume that it won't judging by previous experiences with Nokia, but an assumption is not, and cannot be a fact.

As for all those FUD naysayers, especially those claiming that N900 is somehow a dead-end device for which Nokia doesn't care, nor will care now when there is a new kid on the block called MeeGo, here are some real facts:

And since people here love to compare the support level to Apple's or Google's, care to mention one of 'their' devices that has such support? For f. sake, it took Apple a year to publish the first major update to make the iPhone do something my phones were doing for years

4. There is no MeeGo device out there, in fact even the core reference platform for it does not exist. And Nokia openly claims that you should get N900 if you wish to jump on the MeeGo train.

If there is a device out there on the market that better suits your needs, you should've bought it instead of the N900;

or you should sell/throw away your N900 and get that device.

Do whatever you like but please, for the love of your favorite imagnary friend, stop spreading the FUD!

Now, quit bi.chin' and get out of my kitchen!

Painstakingly typed on my N900

Excuse me, your comment is an idiot comment yourself. Making such claims that the N900 will be running MeeGo is such foolish thing to say. For your information I'm not an idiot like you who is ignorantly dream of something that may or may not happened. Beside science doesn't teach you how to prove or disprove the future may be hold. Science is there to co-exist with imagination. Learn your history of CellPhone before you start spitting out bulls.

Nokia did not claimed that N900 is on MeeGo train. Nokia said, to start with MeeGo developer should work it on QT4.6 which is a cross platform SDK that will work on MeeGo devices. But N900 is the only device that supporting QT4.6 right now. So start Developing applications on it for the future MeeGO.

As for the devices out there that suite my needs, it is none of your business which I would preferred. Beside I did not state that I dislike my N900 and telling me to throw it away and I bought the N900 because I wanted to. SO piss off and stop FUD-ing around yourself.

For your information, I do not have an imaginary friends like yourself. And by saying that it will not be on the Device is not FUD. It is better to expecting less than the actual outcome of uncertainty. If you have too much hope and then at the end you will get no MeeGO then what would make of you? Be disappointed now better than waiting for it to happen in the future.

It is great if it does get MeeGO but as for now do not hold your breath until the proper announcement from Nokia in words.

By the way, are you working for NOKIA or something? If not then can move a long and stop FUD-ing the rumours of N900 getting MeeGO until Nokia announced it.

One important thing is to stop calling people Idiot and abusing people in this forum. We are all a part of the forum. We will be treated equally.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Whether yo are an idiot or not, it is not on me to decide, nor to care for that matter. What I can safely say, tho, is that beside not knowing what the word 'fact' means (and what the acronym FUD stands for), you obviously don't have proper reading skills either. If you however do, then please go back and read more carefully.

It just came across to me that Nokia is unsure how big Harmattan will be since it's currently under development, and as a result they are not sure whether they can fit the new OS in N900 due to the ram issue. It's probably gonna be tight considering the added features/frameworks in Harmattan... so Nokia would wait till Harmattan is code complete then they will take a look at whether it makes sense to provide upgrade option for N900.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mobile
Nokia has never provided an OS version upgrade for any phone so far. Remember phones started more as appliances rather than computers. An appliance performs the functionality it had when purchased. You get bug fixes, not new functions.

Getting new functions and OS upgrades is computer thinking, which is why that is what happens on iPhones which come from a computer company.

The current official stance from Nokia is that Meego/Maemo6 will run on the n900 but it is up to the community to provide and support it. Not Nokia.

However, this could change. The N900 could be considered the first mobile computer and so the rules are not yet set in concrete. But for now no new OS for either n900 or for ANY future nokia. This is not a restriction because of meego or specific to the n900- it is the current Nokia way unless changed.

See here for source of these thoughts and words from nokia
source/

Posts: 83 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Poole, UK
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Getting new functions and OS upgrades is computer thinking, which is why that is what happens on iPhones which come from a computer company.
Is this really true, aren't the iPhone OS Upgrades really just the same as a symbian firmware update, adding the features that they missed, and fixing bugs, don't they just market it as an OS to make it sound bigger and more flexible than it really is?

All in all, I think this merge is going to be a good thing, similar to Sony and Ericsson back in the day when they merged the handset production to try and compete with Nokia, this merge of the OS will give a much more powerful and flexible platform, the N900 won't get left behind (until the hardware is out of date)

I truely think it will finally be something that will p**s all over the iPhone (N900 already does) and open it to a much larger audience.

loling at the tags
________
Toyota Fj Cruiser

Last edited by nax3000; 2011-03-18 at 12:24.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Mobile
Originally Posted by davidh101 View Post
Is this really true, aren't the iPhone OS Upgrades really just the same as a symbian firmware update, adding the features that they missed, and fixing bugs, don't they just market it as an OS to make it sound bigger and more flexible than it really is?
I am not certain about the iPhone upgrades, and i dont want to sound like an iPhone fan as i am not. It was just an example.

I would say it is purely a bug fix if the sole objective is to address phone bugs or even missing features, it is an OS upgrade if a key feature is adding APIs to allow compatibility with a newer standard for apps. I was under the impression iPhone upgrades have added APIs just as the computer os ugrades have. With computers, OS upgrades usually come at a cost and many people are willing to pay the cost.
I would have never considered paying for an upgrade to a symbian phone....but for the n900 and a new os version i would. I think there is a different dynamic here now phones are more app platforms like computers rather than appliances.

I hope Nokia either decide themselves or can be persuaded to change their thinking. They don't sound closed to the idea....just it is not the current thinking. But it should be understood by those reading this thread that Nokia has not planned to offer Maemo6 or Meego type upgrades for the n900 or any other past or future phone simply because there has not be a need before. Phones were primarily phones with smart features, not app platforms. New features didnt come from apps or software before.

Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I would say it is purely a bug fix if the sole objective is to address phone bugs or even missing features, it is an OS upgrade if a key feature is adding APIs to allow compatibility with a newer standard for apps. I was under the impression iPhone upgrades have added APIs just as the computer os ugrades have.
Yes, i think you are probably right actually, I guess my reson for feeling that they are not really an OS upgrade is due to the fact of each one seems to really add functionality that a mobile phone should have had in the first place (I know the updates probably do more than that too).......I've never been an iFan, so i guess I can't really comment.

I just think we shouldn't all panic, I don't think we will get left behind

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Since this is one of many threads about "What about Maemo6, MeeGo" on N900 and it will be keep going on because it will appear in "New posts" constantly, swirling around the same topic.

Yes, you have worries about being left behind, please take some time to read through this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45213

I've tried to help create some clarity on this issue, so please understand the big picture here.

You aren't being left behind. You're being empowered. And we need to focus on how we can make the future happen for N900 too.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Since this is one of many threads about "What about Maemo6, MeeGo" on N900 and it will be keep going on because it will appear in "New posts" constantly, swirling around the same topic.

Yes, you have worries about being left behind, please take some time to read through this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=45213

I've tried to help create some clarity on this issue, so please understand the big picture here.

You aren't being left behind. You're being empowered. And we need to focus on how we can make the future happen for N900 too.
I've read that, and fully agree, change can, and I think will be a good thing

Tags
just a bunch of