[QUOTE=lcuk;238875]please let the future be simple and intuitive.
Exactly my sentiment too ...

I thank you mostly with your effort with liqbase to show what possibilies are there with the existing framework )hardware and software). Most of us are only throwing out talking points - with nothing to show for it (sadly our inability to code and laziness), but you have demostrated many of what we are discussing so frequently in these forums in liqbase.

Simple menus - clean interface - wins the day - in fact liqbase has demoed more functions (multi-touch, screen resolution, kinetic scrolling everywhere feature etc while keeping the interface so simple (and finger friendly).

I only hope Nokia picks up some of these concepts and integrates into Maemo platform for the future.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
tso,
my tablet lives inside a wooden crate.
Its annoying and fiddly to get it out, even when its not in there, if I want to go to bed I disconnect the net.
Currently that involves grabbing the stylus and fiddling.

stuff it - I can't be arsed explaining why its right, I'm just gonna try and add it to liqbase.

Last edited by lcuk; 2008-11-03 at 01:04.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
Just?

more like annoying for both.
My reset button is behind the screen.
Whether I have to reach for a stylus or press a power button, the effect is the same.

The ACTIONS of the current wireless configuration applet are perfect.
Its the UI to open it that I don't like.

I mainly use SSH with my machine (i do all on device compilation) going online is simply that - making the device accessible to the network.
I shouldn't have to reach round the back just for that, again the network configuration applet works its just not easily accessible.
ah, so you mostly use your N810 with keyboard extended. should have figured. guess its yet another reason for getting the N800 then

You don't bite your nails like me.
oh, but i do. i find that it does wonders for my ability to use the onscreen keyboard

tso,
my tablet lives inside a wooden crate.
Its annoying and fiddly to get it out, even when its not in there, if I want to go to bed I disconnect the net.
Currently that involves grabbing the stylus and fiddling.

stuff it - I can't arsed explaining why its right, I'm just gonna try and add it to liqbase.
whiskey tango foxtrot? whats it doing in there?

oh and sorry, i found that my original post was not really complete so i deleted it and posted a new one...

as finger friendly as I am, as a personal preference I loath an on screen keyboard.

The device is just too small for me to comfortably give up so much space for it.
If it was an 8inch+ device I wouldnt care, but its such a sacrifice.

I loathed adding it to liqbase, but know the 800 owners needed something.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Well, I don't know about Norway, but here you get stuck for long time during traffic while commuting to work. While being stuck people read entire papers. They work on laptops. They put on make up.
busses, trains, heard of those things? most norwegian cities have quite usable public transport systems.

I like the idea of the desk key as well
That could be the gateway drug to a more touch friendly UI
hold down the home button...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
With a simpler UI you attract more casual people. The hackers and power users can still use the device and modify it to suit their needs (unless they cry over paying 50 USD more due to HS*PA chipset). Heck, they'll be running Deblet by that time. Point is that these casual people don't get vendor locked-in by some evil corporation, and they're able to dabble more into the world ov Linux and open source, or at the very least the Extras repositories.

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Well, with a 4" screen, there are so often times when compromises have to be made in the display that it is a big advantage to have one always available key to toggle between views. That's the UI concept. Putting it into a menu, you have access issues that peope are sensitive to.
Good point, but the question to ask is: do you often change your mode between stylus and finger? I believe the answer is no. Optionally one can bind a hardware key to this functionality.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
busses, trains, heard of those things? most norwegian cities have quite usable public transport systems.
LOL while commuting? Are you kidding??? They're overcrowded you can't even sit. Sometimes you can't even enter the damn thing because its too full. Then stupid kids are trying to steal your stuff, or playing music out loud. No thanks. But if you can enter it, you can use your NIT while standing. With some kind HS*PA sharing user you even got connectivity. Anyway, its not really an argument against responsible behaviour in a car. Some people drive a car while they shouldn't. Some are good drivers. Some situations are safe; some dangerous.

If you still don't get why using the WiFi applet sucks with finger, maybe go try it out, perhaps you understand then...

And someone who sees 'touchscreen' as 'just another pointer device' simply does not understand how different the UI of a stylus and/or finger based UI is compared to conventionel (desktop) usage. Suggestion: install some finger friendly applications and try 'em out...

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Good point, but the question to ask is: do you often change your mode between stylus and finger? I believe the answer is no. Optionally one can bind a hardware key to this functionality.
Well, it's not limited to stylus v. finger, as you may want to switch views for other reasons. This happens all the time and may also be desirable for reasons as yet unthought of. Instead of binding a hardware key to the functionality, the hardware key and its binding should be a part of the UI and then app should provide the functionality. In some apps (media player) you may want different view switch than in others (such as PIM).

i keep wanting to use the [menu] key for exactly that.
a great number of input dialogs would go well with a simple/intermediate/complex UI option, just cycle round them.

also there is the Code/Design/Run cycle that the on device IDE should have..