Notices

Ahh the bliss of ignorance.

I am afraid I have no sweet sweet SMM10 to report - it must be reserved for the advanced citizens of the WinMo world

Before I nuked the SMM stuff for a second time I noticed all the file names were the same, so I just entered my new activation code and voila! number works like a charm.

It did tell me my destination was on the right when it was on the left though (so yes, that is happening to me as well - I think that issue is around page 8...)

So I am good to go - I sincerely thank all of you who had to read my writing, and I super thank all of you who wrote before me, and all of those who wrote in response to me.

Heck of a model this: build a phone and let the users tend its garden - I would say you all are doing a seriously excellent job crowd sourcing this stuff. iPhone has more money than google so no wonder their app experience is so different.

I am happy to buy apps for N900 myself, don't get me wrong free is wonderful for sure but I just think if someone writes a good app then they should get the funds. I am just sayin' I did not mind paying for sygic (as long as it works) and I would not mind paying for a widget that told me when NoAgendaShow was on the air either.

I will keep an eye on this thread in case others have issues like mine or others which I have read about and chime in where I can.

To that end, I am navving with the stars, so good night!

Standing by,

Christian

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Has anyone other noticed an issue with speedcam warning, it only works when you are routed to pass a speedcam.

Is this a bug or a feature?

...Please skip this post unless you are really bored or motivated - I am a man obsessed so I am basically just punting for the sake of punting. Besides, SMM10 is in my sygic repo - but the word in other forums is that 10 is coming through Ovi store shortly...

After a few days of playing with this app I am still 'working' on it.
My install and launch issues are gone, I edited the values in my ini file ala Zehjotkah (24fps) and so the interface is good (here it comes) but the unit refuses to go to work the way I want to.

I find my office from the favorites list (added it) and then click route me - sygic looks over about 1 million possible ways to get me there and then plots my course on the 10 freeway in Los Angeles.

So what is my problem? Well I live in LA and if I take the 10 to work it means I have to get up about 40 minutes earlier to be on time. So, no biggie I think, I'll go my way which uses a few different smaller highways and it will reroute and eventually figure out the roads I want to take.

Except it does not do that - what it continues to do is try to get me to go to work on the 10 by suggesting myriad ways to get to the 10 from where I am. (At least now I can argue with someone other than my wife about how to get somewhere (haha)). So I click the reroute button to get a fresh entire route from where I am on my commute, back to the 10.

So about half way to work I turn it off.

I guess what I would love to have is a way to say get me to this place using any roads except the 10, the 405, and the 5 in LA.

Is there a file to mod that could tell the device to ignore these highways? That would be complete cool.

I thought ok so you are gonna be a wise guy, huh? Alright then I am going to enter highway interchanges as my POI's and then ask you to pick a route that take me past all my favorite POI's. This took about an hour of sitting in the dark and scrolling with the pencil. I figure ok so I will be come a sygic route maker and then have sygic take me my way. No luck.

LOL - sort of - when I choose a route this way, sygic examines all the possible routes to work and gets me as close to my destination as 107 yards, but it just can't get me the rest of the way there. It calculates over 1 million ways but wont get me the last 107 yards to work - it gives up and says it cannot plot the route.

Even though all my poi's are the interchanges for the series of highways I use to get to work.

So I don't get it. I went looking for the various path choices, and I can choose fast, economical, short, pedestrian, or bicycle so I have to try each of those to see what works (I am pretty sure you can bike on the 60).

Oh well I will let you know - maybe my way to work is more economical than sitting still on the 10...

Again, thank you to everyone who has written a pointer and for those brave enough to mod

Standing by,
Christian

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
@growninc

after typing in your destination, and after Sygic calculated the route just click on calculate a alternative route.
often this alternative route is way better than the original one.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-07-22 at 20:25.

can anyone help as to why I dont have the option to show speedcams on my poi, I have all the other poi's available

Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by growninc View Post
...Please skip this post unless you are really bored or motivated - I am a man obsessed so I am basically just punting for the sake of punting. Besides, SMM10 is in my sygic repo - but the word in other forums is that 10 is coming through Ovi store shortly...

After a few days of playing with this app I am still 'working' on it.
My install and launch issues are gone, I edited the values in my ini file ala Zehjotkah (24fps) and so the interface is good (here it comes) but the unit refuses to go to work the way I want to.

I find my office from the favorites list (added it) and then click route me - sygic looks over about 1 million possible ways to get me there and then plots my course on the 10 freeway in Los Angeles.

So what is my problem? Well I live in LA and if I take the 10 to work it means I have to get up about 40 minutes earlier to be on time. So, no biggie I think, I'll go my way which uses a few different smaller highways and it will reroute and eventually figure out the roads I want to take.

Except it does not do that - what it continues to do is try to get me to go to work on the 10 by suggesting myriad ways to get to the 10 from where I am. (At least now I can argue with someone other than my wife about how to get somewhere (haha)). So I click the reroute button to get a fresh entire route from where I am on my commute, back to the 10.

So about half way to work I turn it off.

I guess what I would love to have is a way to say get me to this place using any roads except the 10, the 405, and the 5 in LA.

Is there a file to mod that could tell the device to ignore these highways? That would be complete cool.

I thought ok so you are gonna be a wise guy, huh? Alright then I am going to enter highway interchanges as my POI's and then ask you to pick a route that take me past all my favorite POI's. This took about an hour of sitting in the dark and scrolling with the pencil. I figure ok so I will be come a sygic route maker and then have sygic take me my way. No luck.

LOL - sort of - when I choose a route this way, sygic examines all the possible routes to work and gets me as close to my destination as 107 yards, but it just can't get me the rest of the way there. It calculates over 1 million ways but wont get me the last 107 yards to work - it gives up and says it cannot plot the route.

Even though all my poi's are the interchanges for the series of highways I use to get to work.

So I don't get it. I went looking for the various path choices, and I can choose fast, economical, short, pedestrian, or bicycle so I have to try each of those to see what works (I am pretty sure you can bike on the 60).

Oh well I will let you know - maybe my way to work is more economical than sitting still on the 10...

Again, thank you to everyone who has written a pointer and for those brave enough to mod

Standing by,
Christian
TomTom has the routing option to "Avoid Freeways/Highways". I wish Sygic did too.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 275 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Blackhawk Island
Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
TomTom has the routing option to "Avoid Freeways/Highways". I wish Sygic did too.
What about this dialog? Tapping on "Motorway" should do the trick.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spag For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by spag View Post
What about this dialog? Tapping on "Motorway" should do the trick.

Thank you spag.

@ growninc - please let us know if avoiding highways gives you the desired result.

Thank you.

Sygic Support.

Hi Folks -

Same caveats apply as before - read at your own risk...

@zehjotkah - dude you are totally a pillar of this community. Way to go man - if you are ever in LA the beers are on me! I have clicked the alternative route a few times, but SMM9 just cannot grasp the route I want.

I think that may be the issue though - as SMM9 wants to either find the fastest route by distance, or most economic by distance when plotting the route. But locally both fast and economic equate to taking a slightly longer way around because traffic keeps moving and the carpool lanes work in our favor. This is a guess on my part though.

@ Sygic support and spag - I did try turning off the motor ways option - once routed it is the only icon of the bunch that changes when it is tapped upon, which I take to mean that I can either use motorways or not use motorways, but regardless SMM 9 won't attempt to guide me on the smaller highways like the 105 or the 71 or the 91 here in the greater LA area. (I should add the not driving on the 91 is a GOOD thing).

I just assumed that the other icons are not utilized because there are no toll roads or ferry's or unpaved roads about. Can someone tell me what a restricted road is?

Right now if I ask SMM9 to take me to the office from home it says take the 10 to the 60 to surface roads (which is not a choice route given the hour of the day) The 10 is stopped downtown, and the 60 is packed so it is slow and stressful. The local roads add stoplights and thus more time.

Changing the details to avoid motorways takes me on the surface streets the whole way. Again, traffic and stoplights kill this route.

Asking for an alternate route from this takes me out through Asuza for an hour and 30 minute trip - it is an alternate route but again my goal is to get to work in the morning without having to get up earlier than I already do.

Clicking Alternate again comes back with 1 hour 51 minutes.

Clicking Alternate again crashes my N900 - which automatically reboots and says, "Warning, an unexpected reboot occurred. Your custom kernel settings were not loaded."

I did go though the process of putting POI's on my preferred route to work, and then build an Itinerary that took me past all of them and left me 103 yards from work, but sadly SMM9 just stops trying to find me the way to work. It says cannot computer route.

I am hoping for better luck with SMM10 -

I think I get the experiment that is the N900 - can a phone co put out hardware that the user base improves through its own initiative - and while I don't know if it is a money maker in general I like it. I don't have the technical skills to write applications, but as I mentioned before I can pay for them to make up for that.

I don't by any means consider SMM9 negatively - remember I am not lost needing to find a way - I am pretty certain it would succeed in that regard despite not having needed to rely on it that way as yet.

I just can't get it to take me the way I want to go, or at least let me tell it the way I want to go - all the roads are there on the maps, so go figure.

Anyway SMM10 should be out shortly so things will change, and in the mean time I don't plan on going any where but work anytime soon (a**, crap, heck).

But, if it was possible to tell the nav software please don't use the 10 the 405 or the 5 for any of the routes you can come up with that would be super cool.

Again - my most sincere thanks to everyone who reads and responds. Your support is unbelievably valuable. This includes the folks at Sygic who did send me email replies to the ones I sent to them in only a fews business days - so my experience with them is not negative.

And of course they are posting in this thread so excellent and thank you again.

Standing by,

Christian

The Following User Says Thank You to growninc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by growninc View Post
@zehjotkah - dude you are totally a pillar of this community. Way to go man - if you are ever in LA the beers are on me!
- Checking how much are flights to LA

thanks for the nice words!