Active Topics

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by strongm View Post

And given that Appello, who provide the native Maps app, are the authors of Wisepilot, one wonders why it wasn't possible to provide a proper navigation app.
Cost of offline HERE license would be my guess.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
IRQ? Why do you need IRQ?
LOL I dont
Also , I dont need ICQ

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
edit: hmm, does anyone know of Android device that is capable of injection? Asking Jolla to put a little bit of effort in porting Sailfish to it wouldn't hurt (they claimed it can be done in 24hrs in many cases)
IIRC, my old SGS2 used to be capable of doing this primarily because it used the same wlan chip as the N900...

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Cost of offline HERE license would be my guess.
Which a) wouldn't affect the ability to work with the online maps and b) I'd be happy to pay for a native implementation

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Which a) wouldn't affect the ability to work with the online maps and b) I'd be happy to pay for a native implementation
I'd pay for native offline navigation feature too. However, couple of things are needed to make it happen:

- Those features have to be developed by Appello, which costs money (also Nokia might want some extra €€ for such feats)
- Jolla has to have some infrastructure to actually support payments from inside apps/Jolla Store

It might be that those features are already under development, but not on the next release. I do hope they will become available before the summer though...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Development effort and cost needed to support offline maps is not significant. License cost however has significant difference and offering it as separately payed option would increase license cost per device even more.

Currently this whole HERE deal is bad. Go to Harbour and read the terms and you will find all the things Nokia has denied Jolla can't do and neither can any application available from official application store.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Penguin For This Useful Post:
I have read the terms and I don't see anything there that would prevent offline maps or navigation features. Most restrictions are for vehicle integration, which means that Here services cannot be legally used to create software that would turn the phone into vehicle control system or interface. So no robotic cars via this service.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Development effort and cost needed to support offline maps is not significant. License cost however has significant difference and offering it as separately payed option would increase license cost per device even more.

Currently this whole HERE deal is bad. Go to Harbour and read the terms and you will find all the things Nokia has denied Jolla can't do and neither can any application available from official application store.
I don't think there is anything particularly contentious or onerous related to the use of HERE services in the Harbour Terms and Conditions.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
This thread has lots of interesting speculation & discussion; the maps bit was enlightening (for me, at least).

However, it's also full of the same old TMO blinkered/laser-focused wishing & ranting, i.e. "I want <obscure developer thing X> and <arcane technical thing Y>!"

If you look up from your keyboard and out at the regular phone-using public, you must surely realise how counter-productive it would be for Jolla to focus on these things at this stage to the exclusion of basic consumer functionality.

How about search in email app? How about contacts & calendar (yes this was mentioned here, but barely)?

Let them focus on that first. Openness is important, but for now our best hope is that Jolla provides support for the community to implement all these wonderful things. That's the best of both worlds: real people will actually want to use Sailfish, and the ultra-geeks can also use Sailfish on whatever hardware to do whatever grey-hat hacking things you want to do.

If Jolla can't appeal to the consumer, then they will sink without a trace and we'll be back to... what, exactly?

Exactly.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post

Let them focus on that first. Openness is important, but for now our best hope is that Jolla provides support for the community to implement all these wonderful things. That's the best of both worlds: real people will actually want to use Sailfish, and the ultra-geeks can also use Sailfish on whatever hardware to do whatever grey-hat hacking things you want to do.

If Jolla can't appeal to the consumer, then they will sink without a trace and we'll be back to... what, exactly?

Exactly.
I don't entirely agree. At this stage Jolla is only interesting to tinkerers, hobbyst-developers and Finns, still morning for Nokia demise.

Of course, in the longer term, Jolla wants to attract regular users, but the "ecosystem" is too small at the moment, or, put it another way, many applications that regular users want are out of reach. So, listening to developers/tinkerers (their current customers) is important. Also, developers are people too, and they too need many things regular people need to make use of their phone. So in the end it is all a question of balance.

Also, consumer-level features cost money (Maps, social networks require licensing/partnership), while improving the lower levels requires the time of already hired engineers...

And with the right infrastructure in place, "consumer" level feature may be developed by third parties and tinkerers.

So given there is a finite amount of money and time available to Jolla, they will have to invest them wisely... And I think infrastructure will need to be a big part of the improvements to do from now on.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:

Tags
"soon", "sooner", "when?"