Active Topics

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Yeah, forgive my spelling. It's just a cut-down sim card. Technically the only difference between a MicroSIM and a regular SIM is lack-of-plastic.
Yeah you can cut the plastic off yourself. And let us know whether you got it working

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Yes, you're right, AMD Ontario Fusion-apu has 9W TDP which is too high for smartphones. However, it is the only SoC GPU which will have an open source driver. PowerVR and Nvidia Tegra won't, and Intel cancelled Larabee.
As far as I can tell, Qualcom has opened sourced the Snapdragon GPU drivers. I know that Samsung also opened a bunch of code with the release of the Galaxy S, though I'm not sure GPU driver code is among it.

http://www.talkandroid.com/5273-open...d-by-qualcomm/

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Yeah you can cut the plastic off yourself. And let us know whether you got it working
Heh heh, thanks man.

I need a Tab first, and as much as I'm excited to get one, I'll wait until I hear some reviews before I plunk down my HARD earned cash.

With any luck Rogers will release a similar plan for the Tab when it gets picked up over here.

Yes, but apps have to be ported similar to how apps have to become "iOS 4 ready".
But they still run on the device even if it's not ported right? Albiet unoptimized for the tablet form factor.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by noal View Post
Out of interest, when playing on an emulator, would/could a joypad be used?

I'm sure a psx or snes emulator would be amazing on the Galaxy tab with a pad to play with. Has anybody used an Android emulator? I would try but NITdroid is playing up at the minute.
I have a Motorola Droid (the original) and I use the same WiiMote I've been using on my Linux laptop and my N800 as a controller for my Droid. I'm pretty sure you can use the WiiMote on all Android 2.x phones since it just loads up as a standard alternate keyboard device.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Georgia
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/24/s...-teaser-video/

Can someone hurry up and release a meego tablet.

I like the look of 7 inches. Thought it was going to be too big but looks ideal for web browsing lying down in bed.

Men u are in my head....u me and me u....(no gay)...

How about the dell Streak? What do we think about this BEAST?

I wish there was a tablet only version!

Full Specs Here

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
But they still run on the device even if it's not ported right? Albiet unoptimized for the tablet form factor.
Without jailbreak? I don't know, haven't tried. In theory, it is certainly possible.

But in theory you can also run complete Debian GNU/Linux on Nokia N900.

Which is sortof my point. The UI has to be really optimized for the hardware, and 3rd party software has to be really ported to the hardware (optimized for hardware performance wise, UI wise (think also about software keyboard, lack of mouse pointer)).

Else you get a poop user experience.

Perhaps with iPad its merely "looks a bit crappy" though.

Without jailbreak? I don't know, haven't tried. In theory, it is certainly possible.

But in theory you can also run complete Debian GNU/Linux on Nokia N900.

Which is sortof my point. The UI has to be really optimized for the hardware, and 3rd party software has to be really ported to the hardware (optimized for hardware performance wise, UI wise (think also about software keyboard, lack of mouse pointer)).

Else you get a poop user experience.

Perhaps with iPad its merely "looks a bit crappy" though.
True but having unoptimized apps > no apps.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
True but having unoptimized apps > no apps.
Perhaps. However, quantity != quality.

Personally, I can't give a rat about Easy Debian. I have tons of UNIX machines I have user access to, and some root access, all for different reasons and purpose. I have played with *NIX and have seen enough. From having to root my own IRIX machine, to compiling Qt 1.4.x from source to install KDE on RedHat, to dealing with bugs in a Linux kernel SCSI driver leading to loss of EUR to business. If I always have 3G access and am always able to SSH, what does Easy Debian give me? Don't say X. If required, I can get a full X desktop by using NoMachine. I want to use the computers; not play with 'em. To use them I need software. And to use the software I'd need software optimized for the UI and form factor. So for me, quantity and stuff like Easy Debian doesn't matter at all. I know this is different for some of you, but see the bigger picture, and try to imagine how being able to use OO.o with stylus matters for the average user of N900: not a flying intercourse.

Perhaps. However, quantity != quality.

Personally, I can't give a rat about Easy Debian. I have tons of UNIX machines I have user access to, and some root access, all for different reasons and purpose. I have played with *NIX and have seen enough. From having to root my own IRIX machine, to compiling Qt 1.4.x from source to install KDE on RedHat, to dealing with bugs in a Linux kernel SCSI driver leading to loss of EUR to business. If I always have 3G access and am always able to SSH, what does Easy Debian give me? Don't say X. If required, I can get a full X desktop by using NoMachine. I want to use the computers; not play with 'em. To use them I need software. And to use the software I'd need software optimized for the UI and form factor. So for me, quantity and stuff like Easy Debian doesn't matter at all. I know this is different for some of you, but see the bigger picture, and try to imagine how being able to use OO.o with stylus matters for the average user of N900: not a flying intercourse.
Never said they had to be quality. My point is that the existence of unoptimize apps trumps having no apps. Unless you would like to argue that no apps is somehow better than unoptimized apps.

But anyway the use case of every individual differs. Personally being able to run Easy Debian and have access to the same apps I use for school purposes was a boon. I also find it useful since what I do on the N900 is almost exactly the same for my desktop and laptop (if in Ubuntu).

Not to mention if EasyDebian didn't exist, it's unlikely that you would ever see some of the same functionality on the N900 (mainly because of the small userbase and how Nokia likes to kill maemo projects). But I do agree the average user won't find it as useful and for them it's probably better. I myself probably won't need this type of functionality after I finish up my Masters degree myself.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy