Active Topics

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
I just received my Dell Streak.
Congratulations.

Originally Posted by smoku View Post
I am working on MeeGo for Streak.
Best roll up your sleeves then and get to it.

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Doh. I didn't know Android is soooo nice to use...
And it's just 1.6 installed, with 2.x upgrade just around the corner.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
For the interested ones...
Streak internals are pretty similar to what we are used to on N900.

# mount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
tmpfs /var/local tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock6 /system yaffs2 ro 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock7 /firstboot yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/block/innersd0p5 /cache ext3 rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,commit=99999 ,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/innersd0p6 /data ext3 rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=continue,commit=99999 ,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:9 /sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,f mask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp4 37,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8 0 0

So, there is a MTD with bootloader and system root, internal SD card (replacable after opening the casing) with runtime and user data, and "external" micro SD for user stored removable data.
The rest is pretty standard linux mounts, with one tmpfs to speedup sqlite.

Last edited by smoku; 2010-08-21 at 20:38.

After using the Dell Streak for a little bit. I have found that this device's flaw is not lack of a keyboard or capacitive touchscreen (that is personal preference really). I have found what really is the Achilles heel is price 800-1000 unlocked, 550 locked to At&t network, $300 network subsidized, way too expensive even for unlocked phone standards. Besides the price THERE IS NO KICKSTAND!!! Why am I complaining about lack of kickstand because this device has front cam and a really large screen both of which would be ideal for making video calls with something like Fring or Qik but I can't stand the device on a table that means it would be awkward for making video calls because of how large the device is. Lack of kickstand isn't good because this device is supposed to be a media device. Also as media device there is only basic video codec support so no DivX or Xvid. Dell acts like they invented the 5inch tablet err several manufacturers did it before them including several Chinese manufacturers and Archos. I think Archos 5 is better package because it has a kickstand, 3-4 times cheaper $260 32gb Archos 5 or Dell Streak 16gb for $800-1000, and supports all of the codecs the Dell Streak won't play. The device is also too big to be a phone, sorry I don't want to hold that up to my head. Despite the Streaks flaws I think it will be a great device.

i had it for 3 days bought it from dell us, and sold it right after back to my N900 again...the bigscree, touchscreen,720p nice and all but like u said lack of playback video, almost most android os do the same, it didnt have media service like our MEDIA SERVICE BOX, took me a full day to do research and non of it call media service work like our media service box, otherthan that game experience is good. but i can play it on NITDROID N900 so i figure sold it. lost around 70$

I have found what really is the Achilles heel is price
Isn’t that subjective too? I have one locked to O2 UK and cost £400 (equivalent to $614) Yes of course I wish it was cheaper but it is well worth it to me so no Achilles heel there.

Besides the price THERE IS NO KICKSTAND!!!
Why are you shouting? It is not that important. I prefer the slimness of the device as it is. Any attempt to incorporate a kickstand will introduce bulk. If I need to use a desk stand then there are many options to choose from.

Also as media device there is only basic video codec support so no DivX or Xvid.
Didn’t you even consider installing Rockplayer?
http://www.anplayer.com/index_en.html
“RockPlayer can support audio and video container format: avi mkv rmvb mp4 mov wmv asf wma wav mpg ts mpa dvd au mp3 mid ivf aiff ogm ogg cda flic d2v aac roq flac drc dsm swf pls pmp.Audio and video encoding format AAC AC3 DTS FLV4 LPCM ALAW ULAW MPEG Audio MPEG-1 MPEG-2 RealVideo RealAideo Vorbis AVC VC1 XVID DIVX SVQ Theora Bink Theora Bink basically includes all popular multimedia formats.”

The device is also too big to be a phone, sorry I don't want to hold that up to my head.
Again personal and subjective to you and what you want to do. FWIW it is not too big to be a phone. I use it as such for every call I make and receive.

Despite the Streaks flaws I think it will be a great device.
The so called flaws are your narrow opinions. It is a great device

it didnt have media service like our MEDIA SERVICE BOX
Why all the shouting too? How is that lack deemed to be flaw? I have no interest in a Media Service Box, so what? Besides this is an Android issue not a Dell Streak defect.

Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
Isn’t that subjective too? I have one locked to O2 UK and cost £400 (equivalent to $614) Yes of course I wish it was cheaper but it is well worth it to me so no Achilles heel there.

Why are you shouting? It is not that important. I prefer the slimness of the device as it is. Any attempt to incorporate a kickstand will introduce bulk. If I need to use a desk stand then there are many options to choose from.

Didn’t you even consider installing Rockplayer?
http://www.anplayer.com/index_en.html
“RockPlayer can support audio and video container format: avi mkv rmvb mp4 mov wmv asf wma wav mpg ts mpa dvd au mp3 mid ivf aiff ogm ogg cda flic d2v aac roq flac drc dsm swf pls pmp.Audio and video encoding format AAC AC3 DTS FLV4 LPCM ALAW ULAW MPEG Audio MPEG-1 MPEG-2 RealVideo RealAideo Vorbis AVC VC1 XVID DIVX SVQ Theora Bink Theora Bink basically includes all popular multimedia formats.”

Again personal and subjective to you and what you want to do. FWIW it is not too big to be a phone. I use it as such for every call I make and receive.

The so called flaws are your narrow opinions. It is a great device

Why all the shouting too? How is that lack deemed to be flaw? I have no interest in a Media Service Box, so what? Besides this is an Android issue not a Dell Streak defect.
Well rock player costs money. The dell streak is still overpriced (atleast in the United States) if you want it unlocked here you got to get if for 800-1000 dollars. A kickstand would add almost no bulk. Again despite my criticisms this device is great I like the form factor it can still fit into a jacket pocket or shirt pocket easily, but then again there already many devices with this form factor that are a lot cheaper. I also wouldn't use it as phone because it look really weird if you went in public.

Well rock player costs money.
No so, it is free with ads.

then again there already many devices with this form factor that are a lot cheaper
Really, that is news to me? Where else can I get a 5” screen Android mobile phone - let alone one that is cheaper.

I also wouldn't use it as phone because it look really weird if you went in public.
Priceless.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rebski For This Useful Post:
No so, it is free with ads.
Well didn't know that I heard it was trial version with Ads then you have to pay.

Really, that is news to me? Where else can I get a 5” screen Android mobile phone - let alone one that is cheaper.
Maybe these devices aren't phones but they do have similar in form factor. Sure these devices aren't phone but they do have the same form factor. Why would you want to hold that thing up to your head. Maybe I could understand using a Bluetooth headset http://www.amazon.com/Archos-32-Inte...4311795&sr=8-2

Priceless.
You would look like a total dork holding that up to your head.

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
You would look like a total dork holding that up to your head.
+1

Had a quick shuftie at the Streak in my local(ish) O2 outlet.

Can't see how anyone could say "That's what the N900 should have been".
It's like a soddin' Nimitz Class aircraft carrier. I couldn't walk round with that in my pocket all day, and I'm buggered if I'm gonna go pulling a suit-case around everywhere I go.

I thought the HTC HD2 was big.
I'll stick to my N900 thanks.

Tags
competition, dell, fresh-air, i has it ;), just shoot me, no keyboard, no linux, notnokia, wotnokia?