watch this, when flash 10.1 is available, we'll be going thru the same thing as pr 1.2, we would have to wait months for nokia to get their act together

Im using the new Firefox BETA web browser, and when going onto youtube it says i need to download the latest version of Flash - which i can not do because there is no valid version for the browser - so I can not watch YouTube at all!

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by mu-min_83 View Post
Just to let you know their is a possibility that Flash 10.1 is coming to Maemo 5 in June. This is not a rumour or gossip it was officially mentioned by Kevin Lynch, Adobe's chief technology officer...while he he was responding to the latest nonsense from Steve Jobs.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10093314.stm

Ok it does say Android will be getting it slightly earlier (May) but the general release will be in June and hopefully this will include an update for the Maemo/N900. I can't wait

Does this mean we will be able to use the graphical hardware capabilities in this version of Adobe Flash? Or am I feeling a bit too optimistic?

I posted about the N900 issue as well, since NOTHING was mentioned about Maemo or the N900, or Nokia...etc. They talked about Android and WP7 as far as platforms for launch. Unless we are getting the beta, or if the code is portable enough, we may not get Flash 10.1- final release.

Why would we, since Nokia has moved on to other platforms and mainly left Maemo to the community? No problem for me, since I dumped Tmo and now on Verizon. Droid and Incredible are doing just fine Not sure which to keep yet.

If we get Flash 10.1 for N900, I will consider it a bonus.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I posted about the N900 issue as well, since NOTHING was mentioned about Maemo or the N900, or Nokia...etc. They talked about Android and WP7 as far as platforms for launch. Unless we are getting the beta, or if the code is portable enough, we may not get Flash 10.1- final release.

Why would we, since Nokia has moved on to other platforms and mainly left Maemo to the community? No problem for me, since I dumped Tmo and now on Verizon. Droid and Incredible are doing just fine Not sure which to keep yet.

If we get Flash 10.1 for N900, I will consider it a bonus.
I'm not too familiar with Android's kernel, but for linux in general, Flash is just a shared object. In fact, installation is nothing more than copying the file to some derivation of /usr/lib. Android and Maemo5 are the same build target, so how much extra work and time would be involved for supporting both? Furthermore, Meego and Maemo are even more alike so if Adobe were to "support" Meego, then Maemo would, by extension, be supported as well. Maybe there's much more to this than I'm seeing, and perhaps someone with some Andoid development experience can clear this up.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barcelona, Spain
Flash 10.1 RC for linux still does not offer GPU acceleration support.

source:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODEyOQ

So, even if flash 10.1 comes out for mobile in june, i am not very hopeful that it will support GPU accel.

This beeing said, I'm quite sure if there is a flash binary for android, it will be easy to install it in maemo...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The following threads have been merged into this thread:
  • "Adobe slips mobile Flash 10.1 to second half 2010..." with nineteen posts
  • "'Adobe Has Not Delayed Flash 10.1 At All'" with five posts
  • "Flash 10.1 coming in June? According to Adobe chief" with thirty-three posts

Flash isn't going anywhere IMO.

HTML5 requires Javascript to do "flashy" stuff, performance is crap and there aren't any GUI tools available. Flash can do a lot more complex logic operations than Javascript. HTML5 isn't standardized yet and updates might take years when Adobe can put out updates whenever they want. Flash also works seamlessly with Illustrator, Photoshop and other Adobe Creative Suite apps.

But the key to Flash's success in the future is that HTML5+Javascript doesn't have any DRM support and probably will never have it. It doesn't have a way to restrict the end user's browser from manipulating the code(i.e. to bypass preroll or overlay ads on videos). You can say you hate ads and DRM all you want but that's the only way you'll be able to watch video streams for free in the future unless all the video sites go to subscription only.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Flash platform has no native, built-in DRM (apart from RTMPE which is not native to the Flash platform but comes from Adobe), if JS interpreters could catch up with AVM2 performance to handle heavy encryption, byte manipulation and connectivity you could write your own DRM-like system in HTML/JS as well. That of course won't happen soon...

Flash is not going anywhere but not because of DRM, but because it outperforms HTML5/JS combo in all the important aspects, both feature and speed wise, except for the video HW acceleration (in selected browsers, that is), which is precisely why Adobe is investing so much resources to bring HW video acceleration to as much platforms as possible.

You're right about the current state of DRM in Flash. Even RTMPE is sort of pseudo-DRM (or the encryption key was cracked). Adobe is no doubt going to improve their DRM in the future to go at Windows Media DRM head on.

Javascript will always be able to be manipulated by the end user though no matter how obfuscated the code is. A good example is how the SkipScreen plugin for Firefox manipulates the javascript on download sites. SWF files aren't invulnerable to the same tactics before they load, but it's a lot harder to manipulate once they're running in the Flash Player

Edit: I guess there's a debug browser plugin available from adobe lol... Things might get very interesting in the future (although end users trying to run the debug plugin might be a bad thing)

Last edited by SD.; 2010-05-03 at 14:39.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Why no GPU acceleration in the Maemo version? Same chipset as Droid and it has been shown with GPU support in demonstrations. It will be a tad ironic if Droid and other Android devices have better Flash performance.

One of my main reasons for keeping the N900 was as a micro netbook, but if no GPU support for Flash, Android browser is just as functional for me.

Oh well, at least I still can use it as a media player and MAME system.

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update